National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI). Disease statistics. In: NHLBI Fact Book, Fiscal Year 2012. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/about/factpdf.htm. Accessed March 31, 2014.
- The burden of disease and the changing task of medicine.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2333-2338
- Decline in deaths from heart disease and stroke—1900-1999.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999; 48: 649-656
- Heart disease and stroke statistics 2013 update.Circulation. 2013; 127: e6-e245
- The war against tobacco 50 years and counting.JAMA. 2014; 311: 131-132
- Clinical features of sudden obstruction of the coronary arteries.JAMA. 1912; 59: 2025
- Concerning thrombosis of coronary arteries.Trans Assoc Am Physicians. 1918; 33: 408-418
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI). Morbidity & Mortality: 2012 Chart Book on Cardiovascular, Lung and Blood Diseases. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/resources/docs/2012_ChartBook_508.pdf. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- Prevalence and extent of atherosclerosis in adolescents and young adults.JAMA. 1999; 281: 727-735
- Coronary disease among United States soldiers killed in action in Korea.JAMA. 1953; 152: 1090-1093
- Coronary artery disease in combat casualties in Vietnam.JAMA. 1971; 216: 1185-1187
- Prevalence of and risk factors for autopsy-determined atherosclerosis among US service members, 2001-2011.JAMA. 2012; 308: 2577-2583
- The moribund autopsy: DNR or CPR?.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 1663
- The changing profile of autopsied deaths in the United States, 1972-2007.NCHS Data Brief. 2011; 67: 1-8
- Continued high incidence of coronary artery disease at autopsy in Olmsted county, Minnesota, 1950 to 1979.Circulation. 1984; 70: 345-349
- Time trends in the prevalence of atherosclerosis: a population-based autopsy study.Am J Med. 2001; 110: 267-273
- Trends in lipids and lipoproteins in US adults, 1988-2010.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1545-1554
- Declining serum total cholesterol levels among US adults.JAMA. 1993; 269: 3002-3008
- Therapeutic response to lovastatin (mevinolin) in nonfamilial hypercholesterolemia. A multicenter study.JAMA. 1986; 256: 2829-2834
- Rationale of the diet-heart statement of the American Heart Association. Report of the nutrition committee.Circulation. 1993; 88: 3008-3029
- The multiple risk factor intervention trial (MRFIT) IV. Intervention on blood lipids.Prev Med. 1981; 10: 443-475
- Prevalence of coronary heart disease- United States 2006-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 1377-1381
- Epidemiological study of sudden and unexpected deaths due to arteriosclerotic heart disease.Circulation. 1966; 34: 1056-1068
- A community wide perspective of sex differences and temporal trends in the incidence and survival rates after acute myocardial infarction and out of hospital deaths caused by coronary heart disease.Circulation. 1993; 87: 1947-1953
- Temporal trends in the incidence of coronary disease.Am J Med. 2004; 117: 228-233
- Myocardial infarction redefined: the new ACC/ESC definition, based on cardiac troponin increases the apparent incidence of infarction.Heart. 2002; 88: 343-347
- Systematic review of the incidence of sudden cardiac death in the United States.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: 794-801
- Sudden cardiac death in the United States, 1989 to 1998.Circulation. 2001; 104: 2158-2163
- Changing incidence of out-of-hospital ventricular fibrillation, 1980-2000.JAMA. 2002; 288: 3008-3013
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.