- •The physician role must evolve to meet the needs of the 21st century healthcare system.
- •The physician role should embrace system citizenship, the idea that physicians diagnose and treat the system as they do individual patients.
- •In order for physicians to embrace system citizenship, healthcare systems need to be willing to support physicians in that work.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- What is left of professionalism after managed care?.Hastings Cent Rep. 1999; 29: 7-13
- Moving beyond nostalgia and motives: towards a complexity science view of medical professionalism.Perspect Biol Med. 2008; 51: 599-615
- The clinical application of the biopsychosocial model.American Journal of Psychiatry. 1980; 137: 535-544https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.137.5.535
- To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System.National Academy Press, Cop, Washington2009
- Medical Professionalism in the New Millennium: A Physician Charter.European Journal of Internal Medicine. 2002; 13: 215-219https://doi.org/10.1016/s0953-6205(02)00012-2
- Levinson W. A behavioral and systems view of professionalism.JAMA. 2010; 304: 2732-2737
- Professionalism as the Bedrock of High-Value Care.Academic Medicine. 2020; 95: 864-867https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002858
- Professional Organizations’ Role in Supporting Physicians to Improve Value in Health Care.JAMA. 2014; 312: 231https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.6762
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Outcomes project. 1999. http://www.acgme.org/outcome/comp/compFull.asp. Accessed March 30, 2013. [No longer available.].
- Systems-Based Practice Defined: Taxonomy Development and Role Identification for Competency Assessment of Residents.Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2009; 1: 49-60https://doi.org/10.4300/01.01.0009
Johnson JK SM, SD Horowitz. Systems-Based Practice: Improving the Safety and Quality of Patient Care by Recognizing and Improving the Systems in Which We Work. 2008. https://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/advances2/vol2/Advances-Johnson_90.pdf. Accessed September 22, 2020.
- Domain of competence: Systems-based practice.Acad Pediatr. 2014; 14: S70-S79
- Health Systems Science Curricula in Undergraduate Medical Education: Identifying and Defining a Potential Curricular Framework.Acad Med. 2017; 92: 123-131
- Educating for the 21st-Century Health Care System: An Interdependent Framework of Basic, Clinical, and Systems Sciences.Acad Med. 2017; 92: 35-39
- Health Systems Science.Elsevier - Health Science, S.L.2020
- Perspective: the problem with the problem of professionalism.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 1018-1024
- Medical education: part of the problem and part of the solution.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1639-1643
- Toward a normative definition of medical professionalism.Acad Med. 2000; 75: 612-616
- Professionalism in Health Care.in: Schramme T Edwards S The Handbook of the Philosophy of Medicine. Springer, The Netherlands2017
- Physicians' professional responsibility to improve the quality of care.Acad Med. 2002; 77: 973-980
- Medical Education in the United States and Canada. By Abraham Flexner. With an Introduction by Henry S. Pritchett, Bulletin No. 4, of the Carnegie Foundation. 576 Fifth Ave., New York City. XVII. 346 pages.The Anatomical Record. 1910; 4: 278-280https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.1090040706
- Instilling professionalism in medical education.JAMA. 1999; 282: 881-882
- Handbook of the philosophy of medicine.Springer Berlin Heidelberg, New York, NY2016
- Morelli, Freud and Sherlock Holmes: clues and scientific method.in: History workshop, Ruskin College1980: 5-36 (Editorial Collective, History Workshop)
- Professional Identity Formation in Medical Education: The Convergence of Multiple Domains.HEC Forum. 2012; 24: 245-255https://doi.org/10.1007/s10730-012-9197-6
Flexner A. Medical Education in the United States and Canada: A Report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Bulletin No. 4. Boston, Mass: Updyke; 1910.
- Shattuck Lecture. We can do better–improving the health of the American people.The New England journal of medicine. 2007; 357: 1221-1228https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa073350
- County Health Rankings: Relationships Between Determinant Factors and Health Outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 129-135
- Quality by Design: A Clinical Microsystems Approach.John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Hoboken, New Jersey2017
- Improving Health Outcomes Through Population Health Practice.Journal for Healthcare Quality. 2016; 38: 64-65https://doi.org/10.1097/jhq.0000000000000035
- The Moral Determinants of Health.JAMA. June 2020; https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.11129
- The increasing complexities of professionalism.Academic Medicine. 2010; 85: 288-301
- Medical professionalism in the new millennium: A physician charter.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 243-246
- Fostering Civic Professionalism in Tomorrow??s Doctors.Academic Medicine. 2005; 80: 413-414https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200505000-00001
- Professionalism in Tomorrow's Healthcare System: Towards Fulfilling the ACGME Requirements for System-Based Practice and Professionalism.University Publishing Group, 2005
- Alliance between society and medicine: The public's stake in medical professionalism.JAMA. 2007; 298: 670-673
- A schematic representation of the professional identity formation and socialization of medical students and residents: A guide for medical educators.Acad Med. 2015; 90: 718-725
- Exploring the challenges of professional identity formation in clinical education environment: A qualitative study.Journal of Advances in Medical Education & Professionalism. 2020; 8: 42
- Physician burnout: a potential threat to successful health care reform.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2009-2010
- Student and resident perspectives on professionalism: beliefs, challenges, and suggested teaching strategies.Int J Med Educ. 2014; 5: 87-94
- Teaching and evaluation of ethics and professionalism: in Canadian family medicine residency programs.Can Fam Physician. 2012; 58: e751-e756
- The fifth discipline: the art and practice of the learning organization.Rev. and updated. Doubleday/Currency, New York2006
Senge PM. Systems Citizenship: The Leadership Mandate for this Millennium. 2006;7. https://www.conservationgateway.org/ConservationPlanning/cbd/guidance-document/key-advances/Documents/Systems%20Citizenship_The%20Leadership%20Mandate%20for%20this%20Millenium.pdf. Accessed September 22, 2020.
- Education for an interdependent world: Developing systems citizens.Second international handbook of educational change. Springer, Dordrecht2010: 131-151
- The world is flat [updated and expanded]: A brief history of the twenty-first century.Macmillan, 2006
Gonzalo J.D., Singh MK. Building systems citizenship in health professions education: the continued call for health systems science curricula AHRQ PSNet [serial online]. 2019. https://psnet.ahrq.gov/perspectives/perspective/265. Accessed February 5, 2019.
- How Medical Schools Can Promote Community Collaboration Through Health Systems Science Education.AMA J Ethics. 2019; 21: E239-E247
- Curricular Transformation in Health Systems Science.Academic Medicine. 2018; 93: 1431-1433https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002284
- Systems-Based Practice in Graduate Medical Education: Systems Thinking as the Missing Foundational Construct.Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2011; 23: 179-185https://doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2011.561758
Sweeney LB, Meadows D. The systems thinking playbook: exercises to stretch and build learning and systems thinking capabilities.
- Systems Thinking and Systems-Based Practice Across the Health Professions: An Inquiry Into Definitions, Teaching Practices, and Assessment.Teach Learn Med. 2018; 30: 242-254
- Getting the improvement habit.BMJ Quality & Safety. 2015; 25: 400-403https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2015-005086
- Milestones 2.0: A Step Forward.Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2018; 10: 367-369https://doi.org/10.4300/jgme-d-18-00372.1
- What indicates competency in systems based practice? An analysis of perspective consistency among health care team members.Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2008; 14: 187-203https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-008-9106-6
- Professional Identity Formation.Academic Medicine. 2015; 90: 761-767https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000000719
WorldData.info https://www.worlddata.info/alliances/un-united-nations.php. Accessed January 12, 2023.
- Sharpening the focus on systems-based practice.J Grad Med Educ. 2009; 1: 1-3https://doi.org/10.4300/01.01.0001
- Co-Participation: Affordance and engagement at work.New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education. 2001; 2001: 63https://doi.org/10.1002/ace.41
- Improving environments for learning in the health professions.in: Proceedings of a conference sponsored by Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation in April 2018, New York, NY Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, 2018Accessed September 23, 2020)
- Communities of practice: learning, meaning, and identity.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.; New York, N.Y.1998
- Learning in a landscape of practice A framework.Learning in Landscapes of Practice: Boundaries, Identity, and Knowledgeability in Practice-Based Learning. 2015; : 13-29
- Situated learning: legitimate peripheral participation.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge England; New York1991
- Workplace participatory practices.Journal of Workplace Learning. 2004; 16: 312-324https://doi.org/10.1108/13665620410550295
- The Clinic is The Curriculum: Can Attention to the Clinical Learning Environment Enhance Improvement in Health Care Delivery and Outcomes?.The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2020; 33: S46-S49https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2020.s1.190447
- Evaluating Obstetrical Residency Programs Using Patient Outcomes.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1277https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1356
- Role Modeling and Regional Health Care Intensity.Academic Medicine. 2017; 92: 694-702https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000001223
- Imprinting on Clinical Rotations: Multisite Survey of High- and Low-Value Medical Student Behaviors and Relationship with Healthcare Intensity.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2019; 34: 1131-1138https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-04828-8
- Supporting Resident Research Learning in the Workplace.Academic Medicine. 2018; 93: 1732-1740https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002416
- Developing Resident-Sensitive Quality Measures.Academic Medicine. 2018; 93: 1071-1078https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002093
- Learning through health care work: premises, contributions and practices.Medical Education. 2015; 50: 124-131https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.12848
- Beyond a Curricular Design of Convenience.Academic Medicine. 2013; 88: 644-651https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0b013e31828b09f4
- A realist synthesis of quality improvement curricula in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education: what works, for whom, and in what contexts?.BMJ Quality & Safety. 2020; (Published online October 6bmjqs-2020-010887)https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2020-010887
- Priority Areas and Potential Solutions for Successful Integration and Sustainment of Health Systems Science in Undergraduate Medical Education.Academic Medicine. 2017; 92: 63-69https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000001249
- Educational impact of an assessment of medical students’ collaboration in health care teams.Medical Education. 2014; 48: 146-156https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.12318
- SOAP to SOAP-V: A New Paradigm for Teaching Students High Value Care.The American Journal of Medicine. 2017; 130 (e2): 1331-1336https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2017.07.014
- New Educator Roles for Health Systems Science.Academic Medicine. 2019; 94: 501-506https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002552
- Interprofessional collaborative care characteristics and the occurrence of bedside interprofessional rounds: a cross-sectional analysis.BMC Health Services Research. 2016; 16https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1714-x
- Effect of a Price Transparency Intervention in the Electronic Health Record on Clinician Ordering of Inpatient Laboratory Tests.JAMA Internal Medicine. 2017; 177: 939https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.1144
Standards, Publications, & Notification Forms | LCME. lcme.org. Accessed November 17, 2020. https://lcme.org/publications/
- Systems-Based Content in Medical Morbidity and Mortality Conferences: A Decade of Change.Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2012; 4: 438-444https://doi.org/10.4300/jgme-d-12-00016.1
- Implementation and Evaluation of a Multidisciplinary Systems-Focused Internal Medicine Morbidity and Mortality Conference.Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2014; 6: 139-146https://doi.org/10.4300/jgme-d-13-00162.1
- A Systems Approach to Morbidity and Mortality Conference.The American Journal of Medicine. 2010; 123: 663-668https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2010.03.010
- The Prevalence of Social and Behavioral Topics and Related Educational Opportunities During Attending Rounds.Academic Medicine. 2014; 89: 1548-1557https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000000483
- Physician Competencies for a 21st Century Health Care System.Journal of Graduate Medical Education. Sept. 2012; 4 (Accessed 28 Oct. 2022): 401-405https://doi.org/10.4300/jgme-04-03-33
- CLER Pathways to Excellence: Expectations for an Optimal Clinical Learning Environment (Executive Summary).J Grad Med Educ. 2014; 6: 610-611
Clinical Learning Environment Review: National Report of Findings 2018. 2018. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs/CLER/CLER_2018_Executive_Summary_DIGITAL_081418.pdf. Accessed September 22, 2020.
Governance international. Co-production. http://www.govint.org/our-services/coproduction Accessed September 23, 2020.
- Coproducing Health Professions Education: A Prerequisite to Coproducing Health Care Services?.Academic Medicine. 2019; 95: 1006-1013https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000003137
- Toward a Definition of the Coproduction Concept.Public Administration Review. 1983; 43: 59https://doi.org/10.2307/975300
- Varieties of Participation in Public Services: The Who, When, and What of Coproduction.Public Administration Review. 2017; 77: 766-776https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.12765
- Coproduction of health care service.BMJ Quality & Safety. 2015; 25: 509-517https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2015-004315
- Co-Creating Quality in Health Care Through Learning and Dissemination.Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions. 2016; 36: S16-S18https://doi.org/10.1097/ceh.0000000000000076
- The triple helix of clinical, research, and education missions in academic health centers: A qualitative study of diverse stakeholder perspectives.Learning Health Systems. 2020; (Published online October 17)https://doi.org/10.1002/lrh2.10250
- Contributions of Health Professions Students to Health System Needs During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Academic Medicine. 2020; (Publish Ahead of Print)https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000003611
- Bridging Leadership Roles in Quality and Patient Safety: Experience of 6 US Academic Medical Centers.Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2017; 9: 9-13https://doi.org/10.4300/jgme-d-16-00065.1
- Aligning Education with Health Care Transformation: Identifying a Shared Mental Model of "New" Faculty Competencies for Academic Faculty.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 256-264
- On the Horizon. 9. MCB University Press, 2001
- From Triple to Quadruple Aim: Care of the Patient Requires Care of the Provider.The Annals of Family Medicine. 2014; 12: 573-576https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1713
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Sources: This project was performed with financial support from the American Medical Association (AMA) as part of the Accelerating Change in Medical Education and the Reimagining Residency initiatives, and the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation.
Conflict of Interest(s): None to disclose.
Other disclosures: J.D. Gonzalo is co-editor of a textbook on Health Systems Science (Elsevier, 2016, 2020), and Health Systems Science Review (Elsevier, 2019).
All authors had a role in writing the manuscript.