A 78-year-old man was admitted with a 2-year history of periodic fever of unknown etiology, with frequent remissions and exacerbations of pericardial and pleural effusions. He had a history of tuberculosis at 22 years of age and had no relevant family history. Chest radiography demonstrated cardiomegaly and left-sided pleural effusion (Figure A). Chest computed tomography revealed extensive pericardial effusion and left encapsulated pleural effusion (Figure B). Oxygen saturation was 92% on 2 L/min of oxygen. Based on the available clinical and radiological findings, the differential diagnosis encompassed malignant lymphoma, tuberculosis pleuropericarditis, collagen diseases, and autoinflammatory disorders such as familial Mediterranean fever.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Familial Mediterranean fever: recent developments in pathogenesis and new recommendations for management.Front Immunol. 2017; 8: 253
- Attacks of pericarditis as a manifestation of familial Mediterranean fever (FMF).QJM. 1997; 90: 643-647
- Late-onset familial Mediterranean fever in Japan.Mod Rheumatol. 2020; 30: 564-567
- Evaluation and treatment of pericarditis: a systematic review.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1498-1506
- Efficacy of intermittent colchicine therapy in familial Mediterranean fever.Ann Intern Med. 1977; 86: 162-165
- Genotype mutations in Egyptian children with familial Mediterranean fever: clinical profile, and response to colchicine.Mediterr J Rheumatol. 2020; 31: 206-213
Published online: February 22, 2023
Accepted: January 26, 2023
Received: October 31, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.