Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Migration Policy Institute (MPI). The limited English proficient population in the United States. July 8, 2015. Available at:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/limited-english-proficient-population-united-states-2013. Accessed December 31, 2022.
- Predictors of language service availability in U.S. hospitals.Int J Health Policy Manag. 2014; 3: 259-268
- Joint Commission requirements for discharge instructions in patients with heart failure: is understanding important for preventing readmissions?.J Card Fail. 2014; 20: 641-649
- The impact of cultural and linguistic diversity on hospital readmission in patients hospitalized with acute heart failure.Eur Heart J Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2020; 6: 121-129
- Association between limited English proficiency and revisits and readmissions after hospitalization for patients with acute and chronic conditions in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1605-1607
- Challenges facing heart failure patients with limited English proficiency: a qualitative analysis leveraging interpreters' perspectives.JACC Heart Fail. 2022; 10: 430-438
- Disparities in self-management outcomes by limited English proficiency among adults with heart disease.Prev Med Rep. 2021; 23: 10147
- What to expect from the evolving field of geriatric cardiology.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1286-1299
- Multimorbidity in older adults with cardiovascular disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2149-2161
- Gerotechnology for older adults with cardiovascular diseases: JACC state-of-the-art review.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 2650-2670
- Language barriers and understanding of hospital discharge instructions.Med Care. 2012; 50: 283-289
- A systematic review of the impact of patient-physician non-English language concordance on quality of care and outcomes.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 1591-1606
- Patient satisfaction with different interpreting methods: a randomized controlled trial.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 312-318
- Association of patient-physician language concordance and glycemic control for limited-English proficiency Latinos with type 2 diabetes.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 380-387
United States Department of Health and Human Services. HHS.gov. National standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in health and health care. 2017. Available at:https://thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/assets/pdfs/EnhancedNationalCLASStandards.pdf. Accessed January 21, 2023.
- Do professional interpreters improve clinical care for patients with limited English proficiency? A systematic review of the literature.Health Serv Res. 2007; 42: 727-754
- Professional language interpretation and inpatient length of stay and readmission rates.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1294-1299
- Not just “getting by”: factors influencing providers' choice of interpreters.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: 75-82
- Impact of limited English proficiency on presentation and outcomes of patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-elevation myocardial infarction.Intern Med J. 2018; 48: 457-461
- Is there inequity in hospital care among patients with acute coronary syndrome who are proficient and not proficient in English language?: analysis of the SNAPSHOT ACS study.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017; 32: 288-295
- Disparities in reporting a history of cardiovascular disease among adults with limited English proficiency and angina.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2138780
- Delivering 9-1-1 CPR instructions to limited English proficient callers: a simulation experiment.J Immigr Minor Health. 2015; 17: 1049-1054
- Redefining the “planning” in advance care planning: preparing for end-of-life decision making.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153: 256-261
- Engaging diverse English- and Spanish-speaking older adults in advance care planning: the PREPARE randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1616-1625
- Assessing the use of Google Translate for Spanish and Chinese translations of emergency department discharge instructions.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 580-582
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Limited English Proficiency (LEP). Available at:https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-individuals/special-topics/limited-english-proficiency/index.html. Accessed December 31, 2022.
- Interventions to improve care for patients with limited health literacy.J Clin Outcomes Manag. 2009; 16: 20-29
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: RLS is funded in part by the National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health (K24AG054415); NCB is supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)/National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities K99MD01578; RMC reports grant support from the NIH: R00NR016275, R01HL152021, R01NS123639, and R21 HD103053; PG is supported by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) grant R03AG056446 and American Heart Association (AHA) grant 18IPA34170185; he reports grant support from AHA grant 20CDA35310455 and NIA grant K76AG064428. MSM reports grant support from NIH R01HL139671-01, R21AG058348, and K24AG036778. MWR reports grant support from NIH R01AG060499, R01HL147862, R01 AG078153, and R01HL151431.
Conflicts of Interest: PG receives personal fees for medicolegal consulting related to heart failure; and has received honoraria from Akcea Inc. and Bionest Inc. MSM reports consulting income from Pfizer, GSK, EIdos, Prothena, Akcea, and Alnylam, and the institution received clinical trial funding from Pfizer, Prothena, Eidos, and Alnylam. All others have no disclosures.
Authorship: All authors contributed to the conception and design of the review, the data interpretation, the manuscript drafting, the critical revision of the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this paper are by members within and outside of the American College of Cardiology Geriatric Cardiology and Cardiovascular Team Councils.