- Fuster V.
- Newsom SW.
- Newsom SW.
- Boulée D
- Kalra S
- Haddock A
- Johnson TD
- Peacock WF.
- Vasudevan RS
- Mojaver S
- Chang KW
- Maisel AS
- Frank Peacock W
- Chowdhury P
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- The stethoscope's prognosis: very much alive and very necessary.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 1118-1119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.01.005
- Pioneers in infection control. Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis.J Hosp Infect. 1993; 23: 175-187https://doi.org/10.1016/0195-6701(93)90023-s
- Contemporary stethoscope cleaning practices: what we haven't learned in 150 years.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 238-242https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2018.08.005
- Observation of stethoscope sanitation practices in an emergency department setting.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 234-237https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2018.08.028
- Contamination of gowns, gloves, and stethoscopes with vancomycin-resistant enterococci.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 560-564https://doi.org/10.1086/501952
- The stethoscope in the emergency department: a vector of infection?.Epidemiol Infect. 2000; 124: 233-237https://doi.org/10.1017/s0950268800003563
- Contaminated stethoscopes revisited.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 156: 82-84
- The third hand: low rates of stethoscope hygiene on general medical services.J Hosp Med. 2015; 10: 457-458https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.2359
- Contamination of stethoscopes and physicians' hands after a physical examination.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 291-299https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2013.11.016
- Evaluation of stethoscopes as vectors of Clostridium difficile and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 96-98https://doi.org/10.1086/663338
- Use of simulations to evaluate the effectiveness of barrier precautions to prevent patient-to-patient transfer of healthcare-associated pathogens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; 42: 425-430https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2020.1215
Rutala WA, Weber DJ, and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfection-guidelines-H.pdf. Updated May 2019. Accessed December 15 2022.
- Molecular analysis of bacterial contamination on stethoscopes in an intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 171-177https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2018.319
- A prospective, randomised, double-blind study of comparative efficacy of immediate versus daily cleaning of stethoscope using 66% ethyl alcohol.Indian J Med Sci. 2004; 58: 423-430
- Low concentrations of commercial alcohol hand rubs facilitate growth of and secretion of extracellular proteins by multidrug-resistant strains of Acinetobacter baumannii.J Med Microbiol. 2007; 56: 1595-1599https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.47442-0
- Hospital disinfectants and spore formation by Clostridium difficile.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1324https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)02819-1
- Evaluation of the virucidal efficacy of disinfectant wipes with a test method simulating practical conditions.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 121https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-019-0569-4
- Efficacy of ethanol against viruses in hand disinfection.J Hosp Infect. 2018; 98: 331-338https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2017.08.025
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevention and control - camps | cryptosporidium | parasites. Available at: Accessed December 31, 2022.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevent the spread of C. diff. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/prevent.html. Accessed October 22, 2022.
- Community hospi1tal stethoscope cleaning practices and contamination rates.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 1365-1369https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2020.04.019
- Stethoscopes: a potential vector of infection?.Ann Emerg Med. 1995; 26: 296-299https://doi.org/10.1016/s0196-0644(95)70075-7
- A quasi-experimental study on stethoscopes contamination with multidrug-resistant bacteria: Its role as a vehicle of transmission.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0250455https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0250455
- Can education influence stethoscope hygiene?.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 811-812https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2017.02.004
- Aseptic disposable stethoscope barrier: acoustically invisible and superior to disposable stethoscopes.Mayo Clin Proc. 2021; 96: 263-264https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2020.10.029
- Comparing the auscultatory accuracy of health care professionals using three different brands of stethoscopes on a simulator.Med Devices (Auckl). 2014; 7: 273-281https://doi.org/10.2147/MDER.S67784
- Bacterial contamination of stethoscopes on the intensive care unit.Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 620-624https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2009.05892.x
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: AseptiScope, Inc, San Diego, California, reserved the room in which the meeting was held.
Conflicts of Interest: WFP reports research grants from Brainbox, Instrument Labs, Salix; serving as a consultant for Abbott, Brainbox, Instrument Labs, Janssen, Osler, Roche, Siemens, Viforl; having stock/ownership interests in AseptiScope Inc, Brainbox Inc, Braincheck Inc, Coagulo Inc, Comprehensive Research Associates LLC, Comprehensive Research Management Inc, Emergencies in Medicine LLC, Fast Inc, Forrest Devices, Ischemia DX LLC, Lucia Inc, Prevencio Inc, RCE Technologies, ROMTech, ScPharma, Trivirum Inc, Upstream Inc. FJT reports serving as a consultant for Moderna, Inc., Replimune, Inc., AseptiScope Inc. ZS reports serving on an advisory board and having stock options from Aseptiscope, Inc. AD reports none. AL reports none. SD reports serving on an advisory board for Aseptiscope, Inc.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.