- •A validated risk score for frailty is associated with an increased risk for the composite of in-hospital mortality, acute myocardial infarction, or cardiac arrest after non-cardiac surgery.
- •The association between high frailty and surgical outcomes were observed across age groups, with greater odds of cardiac events observed in younger individuals.
- •High frailty scores are associated with an increased likelihood of non-home discharge after non-cardiac surgery.
Abbreviations:EHR (electronic health record), MACE (major adverse cardiovascular events), AHRQ (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality), NIS (National Inpatient Sample), ICD (International Classification of Disease), HFRS (hospital frailty risk score)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Surgeries in Hospital-Based Ambulatory Surgery and Hospital Inpatient Settings, 2014: Statistical Brief #223.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs. 2006;
- The frailty syndrome: definition and natural history.Clin Geriatr Med. Feb 2011; 27: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2010.08.009
- Frailty in an older inpatient population: using the clinical frailty scale to predict patient outcomes.J Aging Health. Jun 2015; 27: 670-685https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264314558202
- New 5-Factor Modified Frailty Index Using American College of Surgeons NSQIP Data.J Am Coll Surg. Feb 2018; 226 (e8): 173-181https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.11.005
- Development and Evaluation of a New Frailty Index for Older Surgical Patients With Cancer.JAMA Netw Open. May 3 2019; 2e193545https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.3545
- Development and validation of a Hospital Frailty Risk Score focusing on older people in acute care settings using electronic hospital records: an observational study.Lancet. May 5 2018; 391: 1775-1782https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30668-8
- The impact of frailty on outcomes after cardiac surgery: a systematic review.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Dec 2014; 148: 3110-3117https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.07.087
- The impact of frailty status on survival after transcatheter aortic valve replacement in older adults with severe aortic stenosis: a single-center experience.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. Sep 2012; 5: 974-981https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2012.06.011
Tjeertes EKM, van Fessem JMK, Mattace-Raso FUS, Hoofwijk AGM, Stolker RJ, Hoeks SE. Influence of Frailty on Outcome in Older Patients Undergoing Non-Cardiac Surgery - A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Aging Dis. Oct 2020;11(5):1276-1290. doi:10.14336/AD.2019.1024
- National Inpatient Sample.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2004 (2014)
- Perioperative Major Adverse Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Events Associated With Noncardiac Surgery.JAMA Cardiol. Feb 01 2017; 2: 181-187https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2016.4792
- Development and validation of a risk calculator for prediction of cardiac risk after surgery.Circulation. Jul 26 2011; 124: 381-387https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.110.015701
- Incidence and Outcomes of Myocardial Infarction in Patients Admitted With Acute Ischemic Stroke.Stroke. Nov 2017; 48: 2931-2938https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.117.018408
- Post-cardiac arrest mortality is declining: a study of the US National Inpatient Sample 2001 to 2009.Circulation. Jul 31 2012; 126: 546-550https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.088807
- Frailty is a predictor of short- and mid-term mortality after elective cardiac surgery independently of age.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. May 2014; 18: 580-585https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivu006
- Frailty predicts mortality in all emergency surgical admissions regardless of age. An observational study.Age Ageing. May 1 2019; 48: 388-394https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afy217
- Frailty, Inflammatory Markers, and Waitlist Mortality Among Patients With End-stage Renal Disease in a Prospective Cohort Study.Transplantation. Oct 2018; 102: 1740-1746https://doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000002213
- Inflammation and frailty in the elderly: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Ageing Res Rev. Nov 2016; 31: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2016.08.006
- Inflammageing: chronic inflammation in ageing, cardiovascular disease, and frailty.Nat Rev Cardiol. Sep 2018; 15: 505-522https://doi.org/10.1038/s41569-018-0064-2
- Frailty, inflammation, and cardiovascular disease: evidence of a connection.Am J Geriatr Cardiol. Mar-Apr 2008; 17: 101-107
- The influence of frailty syndrome on medication adherence among elderly patients with hypertension.Clin Interv Aging. 2016; 11: 1781-1790https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S113994
- A systematic review of the association between sedentary behaviors with frailty.Exp Gerontol. Dec 2018; 114: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2018.10.010
- Frailty as a predictor of surgical outcomes in older patients.J Am Coll Surg. Jun 2010; 210: 901-908https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2010.01.028
- The frailty phenotype and the frailty index: different instruments for different purposes.Age Ageing. Jan 2014; 43: 10-12https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/aft160
- Reliability and Feasibility of Tools to Identify Frail Older Patients in Inpatient Hospital Care: A Systematic Review.J Nutr Health Aging. Feb 2016; 20: 218-230https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-015-0567-z
- Detection of older people at increased risk of adverse health outcomes after an emergency visit: the ISAR screening tool.J Am Geriatr Soc. Oct 1999; 47: 1229-1237https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1999.tb05204.x
- A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people.CMAJ. Aug 30 2005; 173: 489-495https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.050051
- Frailty defined by deficit accumulation and geriatric medicine defined by frailty.Clin Geriatr Med. Feb 2011; 27: 17-26https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2010.08.008
- Development and validation of an electronic frailty index using routine primary care electronic health record data.Age Ageing. May 2016; 45: 353-360https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afw039
- Comparing three different measures of frailty in medical inpatients: Multicenter prospective cohort study examining 30-day risk of readmission or death.J Hosp Med. Aug 2016; 11: 556-562https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.2607
- Development and Initial Validation of the Risk Analysis Index for Measuring Frailty in Surgical Populations.JAMA Surg. Feb 1 2017; 152: 175-182https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.4202
- Frailty is independently associated with 1-year mortality for elderly patients with non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.Eur J Prev Cardiol. Oct 2014; 21: 1216-1224https://doi.org/10.1177/2047487313490257
- Frailty score on admission predicts mortality and discharge disposition in elderly trauma patients over the age of 65 y.J Surg Res. Oct 2018; 230: 13-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.04.017
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Declaration of Interest: Dr. Smilowitz is supported, in part, by the National Heart, Lung, And Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number K23HL150315
Authorship Contributions: All authors have reviewed the manuscript and are in agreement of the submission for publication.