Conclusions and Relevance
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Framingham Heart Study: JACC Focus Seminar, 1/8.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; 77: 2680-2692
- 2019 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: Executive Summary: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 1376-1414
American College of Cardiology. ASCVD Risk Estimator Plus. Available at: https://tools.acc.org/ascvd-risk-estimator-plus/#!/calculate/estimate/. Accessed October 27, 2022.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics–2021 Update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2021; 143: e254-e743
- Lipid levels in patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease: an analysis of 136,905 hospitalizations in Get With The Guidelines.Am Heart J. 2009; 157 (111-117 e2)
- Lipids, risk factors and ischaemic heart disease.Atherosclerosis. 1996; 124: S1-S9
- Evaluation of the pooled cohort risk equations for cardiovascular risk prediction in a multiethnic cohort from the Women's Health Initiative.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1231-1240
- Preventing myocardial infarction in the young adult in the first place: how do the National Cholesterol Education Panel III guidelines perform?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 41: 1475-1479
- Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 229-234
- Effect of screening for coronary artery disease using CT angiography on mortality and cardiac events in high-risk patients with diabetes: the FACTOR-64 randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2234-2243
- The forgotten majority: unfinished business in cardiovascular risk reduction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46: 1225-1228
- Panomics: new databases for advancing cardiology.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2021; 8587768
- Finding the gatekeeper to the cardiac catheterization laboratory: coronary CT angiography or stress testing?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 65: 2747-2756
- The sub-millisievert era in CTCA: the technical basis of the new radiation dose approach.Radiol Med. 2020; 125: 1024-1039
- Coronary CT angiography and 5-year risk of myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 924-933
- Anatomical versus functional testing for coronary artery disease.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 91
- Coronary CTA in the evaluation of stable chest pain: clear benefits, but not for all.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 1771-1773
- 2019 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of chronic coronary syndromes.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 407-477
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). NICE Guidance for Stable Chest Pain Patients (CG95 & MTG32) to Appropriately Diagnose Patients with Suspected Coronary Artery Disease. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/sharedlearning/nice-guidance-for-stable-chest-pain-patients-cg95-mtg32-to-appropriately-diagnose-patients-with-suspected-coronary-artery. Accessed October 27, 2022.
Saleh M, Ambrose JA. Understanding myocardial infarction. F1000Res. 2018;7:F1000 Faculty Rev-1378. Ecollection 2018. doi:10.12688/f1000research.15096.1.
- Coronary computed tomographyangiography versus intravascular ultrasound for estimation of coronary stenosis and atherosclerotic plaque burden: a meta-analysis.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2013; 7: 256-266
- Automatic quantification and characterization of coronary atherosclerosis with computed tomography coronary angiography: cross-correlation with intravascular ultrasound virtual histology.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013; 29: 1177-1190
- Plaque type and composition as evaluated non-invasively by MSCT angiography and invasively by VH IVUS in relation to the degree of stenosis.Heart. 2009; 95: 1990-1996
- Optimized prognostic score for coronary computed tomographic angiography: results from the CONFIRM registry (COronary CT Angiography EvaluatioN For Clinical Outcomes: An InteRnational Multicenter Registry).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: 468-476
- The multidimensionality of coronary artery disease: combining, conflating, and changing.JACC Asia. 2021; 1: 49-52
- Prognostic implications of comprehensive whole vessel plaque quantification using coronary computed tomography angiography.JACC Asia. 2021; 1: 37-48
- Coronary atherosclerotic precursors of acute coronary syndromes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2511-2522
- Use of high-risk coronary atherosclerotic plaque detection for risk stratification of patients with stable chest pain: a secondary analysis of the PROMISE randomized clinical trial.JAMA Cardiol. 2018; 3: 144-152
- Low-attenuation noncalcified plaque on coronary computed tomography angiography predicts myocardial infarction: results from the multicenter SCOT-HEART trial (Scottish Computed Tomography of the HEART).Circulation. 2020; 141: 1452-1462
- Risk stratification with the use of coronary computed tomographic angiography in patients with nonobstructive coronary artery disease.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021; 14: 2186-2195
- Association of high-density calcified 1K plaque with risk of acute coronary syndrome.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 282-290
- Coronary computed tomography angiography from clinical uses to emerging technologies: JACC state-of-the-art review.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 1226-1243
- Stress myocardial perfusion imaging vs coronary computed tomographic angiography for diagnosis of invasive vessel-specific coronary physiology: predictive modeling results from the computed tomographic evaluation of atherosclerotic determinants of myocardial ischemia (CREDENCE) trial.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 1338-1348
- Plaque characterization by coronary computed tomography angiography and the likelihood of acute coronary events in mid-term follow-up.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 66: 337-346
- Effects of statins on coronary atherosclerotic plaques: the PARADIGM study.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 11: 1475-1484
- Progression of whole-heart atherosclerosis by coronary CT and major adverse cardiovascular events.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2021; 15: 322-330
- Effect of icosapent ethyl on progression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with elevated triglycerides on statin therapy: final results of the EVAPORATE trial.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 3925-3932
- Effect of icosapent ethyl on progression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with elevated triglycerides on statin therapy: a prospective, placebo-controlled randomized trial (EVAPORATE): interim results.Cardiovasc Res. 2021; 117: 1070-1077
- Effect of evolocumab on vulnerable coronary plaques: a serial coronary computed tomography angiography study.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 3338
- High-risk coronary plaque regression after intensive lifestyle intervention in nonobstructive coronary disease: a randomized study.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021; 14: 1192-1202
- Colchicine therapy and plaque stabilization in patients with acute coronary syndrome: a CT coronary angiography study.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 11: 305-316
- Coronary calcium score and cardiovascular risk.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 434-447
- Breast-cancer screening–viewpoint of the IARC Working Group.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1479
- The IARC perspective on colorectal cancer screening.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1734-1740
- Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose computed tomographic screening.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 395-409
- Age- and sex-related differences in all-cause mortality risk based on coronary computed tomography angiography findings results from the International Multicenter CONFIRM (Coronary CT Angiography Evaluation for Clinical Outcomes: An International Multicenter Registry) of 23,854 patients without known coronary artery disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 58: 849-860
- Percent atheroma volume: optimal variable to report whole-heart atherosclerotic plaque burden with coronary CTA, the PARADIGM study.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2020; 14: 400-406
- The EVAPORATE trial provides important mechanistic data on plaque characteristics that have relevance to the REDUCE-IT results and clinical use of icosapent ethyl.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 3025-3026
- Cardiovascular risk reduction with icosapent ethyl for hypertriglyceridemia.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 11-22
- A randomized controlled trial of eicosapentaenoic acid in patients with coronary heart disease on statins.J Cardiol. 2017; 70: 537-544
- “Cholesterol-Years” for ASCVD risk prediction and treatment.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 1517-1520
- Targeting cardiovascular inflammation: next steps in clinical translation.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 113-131
- Evolocumab in patients with cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 787-788
- Alirocumab and cardiovascular outcomes after acute coronary syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2097-2107
- Safety and efficacy of bempedoic acid to reduce LDL cholesterol.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1022-1032
- Two phase 3 trials of inclisiran in patients with elevated LDL cholesterol.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1507-1519
- Rivaroxaban in stable cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 397-398
- Colchicine in patients with chronic coronary disease.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1838-1847
- Semaglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1834-1844
- Liraglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 311-322
- Once-weekly exenatide and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2502
- Effects of once-weekly exenatide on cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1228-1239
- Dulaglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes (REWIND): a double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 121-130
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Dapagliflozin and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 347-357
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Sotagliflozin in patients with diabetes and recent worsening heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 117-128
- Lixisenatide in patients with type 2 diabetes and acute coronary syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2247-2257
- Metabolic surgery: weight loss, diabetes, and beyond.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 670-687
- From subclinical atherosclerosis to plaque progression and acute coronary events: JACC state-of-the-art review.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 1608-1617
- Coronary artery calcification and its progression: what does it really mean?.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 11: 127-142
- Eligibility, clinical outcomes, and budget impact of PCSK9 inhibitor adoption: the CANHEART PCSK9 study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7e010007
- National trends in statin use and ein the US adult population from 2002 to 2013: insights from the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey.JAMA Cardiol. 2017; 2: 56-65
- LDL cholesterol response to statins and future risk of cardiovascular disease.Heart. 2019; 105: 1290-1291
- Prescribing paradigm shift? Applying the 2019 European Society of Cardiology-led guidelines on diabetes, prediabetes, and cardiovascular disease to assess eligibility for sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors or glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonists as first-line monotherapy (or add-on to metformin monotherapy) in type 2 diabetes in Scotland.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 2034-2041
- What does it cost physician practices to interact with health insurance plans?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w533-w543
Min JK, Chang HJ, Andreini D, et al. Coronary CTA plaque volume severity stages according to invasive coronary angiography and FFR. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2022;16(5):415–422.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: DLB discloses the following relationships—Advisory Board: Cardax, CellProthera, Cereno Scientific, Elsevier Practice Update Cardiology, Janssen, Level Ex, Medscape Cardiology, MyoKardia, Novo Nordisk, PhaseBio, PLx Pharma, Regado Biosciences; Boston VA Research Institute: Bristol Myers Squibb, Board of Directors, Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care, TobeSoft; Chair: American Heart Association Quality Oversight Committee; Data Monitoring Committees: Baim Institute for Clinical Research (formerly Harvard Clinical Research Institute, for the PORTICO trial, funded by St. Jude Medical, now Abbott), Cleveland Clinic (including for the ExCEED trial, funded by Edwards), Contego Medical (Chair, PERFORMANCE 2), Duke Clinical Research Institute, Mayo Clinic, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (for the ENVISAGE trial, funded by Daiichi Sankyo), Population Health Research Institute; Honoraria: American College of Cardiology (Senior Associate Editor, Clinical Trials and News, ACC.org; Vice-Chair, ACC Accreditation Committee), Baim Institute for Clinical Research (formerly Harvard Clinical Research Institute; RE-DUAL PCI clinical trial steering committee funded by Boehringer Ingelheim; AEGIS-II executive committee funded by CSL Behring), Belvoir Publications (Editor in Chief, Harvard Heart Letter), Canadian Medical and Surgical Knowledge Translation Research Group (clinical trial steering committees), Duke Clinical Research Institute (clinical trial steering committees, including for the PRONOUNCE trial, funded by Ferring Pharmaceuticals), HMP Global (Editor in Chief, Journal of Invasive Cardiology), Journal of the American College of Cardiology (Guest Editor; Associate Editor), K2P (Co-Chair, interdisciplinary curriculum), Level Ex, Medtelligence/ReachMD (CME steering committees), MJH Life Sciences, Population Health Research Institute (for the COMPASS operations committee, publications committee, steering committee, and USA national co-leader, funded by Bayer), Slack Publications (Chief Medical Editor, Cardiology Today's Intervention), Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (Secretary/Treasurer), WebMD (CME steering committees); Other: Clinical Cardiology (Deputy Editor), NCDR-ACTION Registry Steering Committee (Chair), VA CART Research and Publications Committee (Chair); Abbott, Afimmune, Amarin, Amgen, AstraZeneca, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Cardax, CellProthera, Cereno Scientific, Chiesi: Cleerly, Research Funding, CSL Behring, Eisai, Ethicon, Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Forest Laboratories, Fractyl, Garmin, HLS Therapeutics, Idorsia, Ironwood, Ischemix, Janssen, Lexicon, Lilly, Medtronic, MyoKardia, Novartis, Novo Nordisk, Owkin, Pfizer, PhaseBio, PLx Pharma, Regeneron, Roche, Sanofi, Synaptic, The Medicines Company, 89Bio; Royalties: Elsevier (Editor, Cardiovascular Intervention: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease); Site Co-Investigator: Abbott, Biotronik, Boston Scientific, CSI, St. Jude Medical (now Abbott), Svelte; Trustee: American College of Cardiology; Unfunded Research: FlowCo, Merck, Takeda.
JKM discloses the following relationships: Cleerly (employment and equity interest); Arineta (advisory board); National Institutes of Health (grant funding).
AMF discloses the following relationships: Non-promotional speaking for Boehringer-Ingelheim, Consulting for Medtronic.
MA discloses: She receives honoraria for speaking and royalties from books. She conducts research with Flourish, Inc and through this, she is the primary investigator for a study with IQVIA.
JPE discloses: Employed by Cleerly; Equity Holding in Cleerly.
Authorship: All authors contributed through data collection, collation, manuscript writing, manuscript editing, and figure creation.