Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)]. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). 2018. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/lupus/facts/detailed.html. Accessed January 6, 2022.
- Lupus: an overview of the disease and management options.P T. 2012; 37: 240-246
- Autoantibodies in SLE: specificities, isotypes and receptors.Antibodies (Basel). 2016; 5: 2
Dein E, Douglas H, Petri M, Law G, Timlin H. Pericarditis in lupus. Cureus. 2019;11(3):e4166.
- Mechanisms of pleural involvement in orphan diseases.Respiration. 2012; 83: 5-12
- Manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus.Maedica (Bucur). 2011; 6: 330-336
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.Lancet. 2007; 369: 587-596
- Mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 2550-2557
Lupus Foundation of America. The leading causes of death in lupus. July 18, 2013. Available at: https://www.lupus.org/resources/the-leading-causes-of-death-in-lupus. Accessed November 6, 2022.
- Current causes of death in systemic lupus erythematosus in Europe, 2000-2004: relation to disease activity and damage accrual.Lupus. 2007; 16: 309-317
- Cardiac pathology of systemic lupus erythematosus.J Clin Pathol. 2009; 62: 584-592
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and cardiovascular disease: prediction and potential for therapeutic intervention.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2011; 7: 227-241
- Incidence and risk of heart failure in systemic lupus erythematosus.Heart. 2017; 103: 227-233
- Age-specific incidence rates of myocardial infarction and angina in women with systemic lupus erythematosus: comparison with the Framingham Study.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 408-415
- Traditional Framingham risk factors fail to fully account for accelerated atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 44: 2331-2337
- The epidemiology of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease among patients with SLE: a systematic review.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 43: 77-95
- Subclinical atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus: comparable risk with diabetes mellitus and rheumatoid arthritis.Autoimmun Rev. 2017; 16: 308-312
- Cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: the role of traditional and lupus related risk factors.Curr Cardiol Rev. 2008; 4: 116-122
- Immunity and inflammation in atherosclerosis.Circ Res. 2019;; 124: 315-327
Whelton SP, Mody FV, McKevoy JW, Martin SS, Blumenthal RS. Cardiovascular risk assessment and allocation of lipid-lowering therapy in patients with chronic inflammatory diseases. June 29, 2017. Available at:https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/06/29/08/22/cv-risk-assessment-and-allocation-of-lipid-lowering-therapy-in-patients-with-chronic-inflammatory-diseases. Accessed November 5, 2022.
- Risk factors in cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus.Curr Cardiol Rev. 2013; 9: 15-19
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and hypertension.Autoimmun Rev. 2019; 18102371
- Cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: a comprehensive update.J Autoimmun. 2017; 82: 1-12
- Heart failure in systemic lupus erythematosus.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2018; 28: 187-197
- Cardiovascular events in systemic lupus erythematosus: a nationwide study in Spain from the RELESSER registry.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94: e1183
- Cardiovascular event in systemic lupus erythematosus in northern Sweden: incidence and predictors in a 7-year follow-up study.Lupus. 2012 Apr; 21: 452-459
- Dysfunctional proinflammatory high-density lipoproteins confer increased risk of atherosclerosis in women with systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 60: 2428-2437
- The 2018 pipeline of targeted therapies under clinical development for systemic lupus erythematosus: a systematic review of trials.Autoimmun Rev. 2018; 17: 781-790
- Serious infections among adult Medicaid beneficiaries with systemic lupus erythematosus and lupus nephritis.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015; 67: 1577-1585
- Cumulative immunosuppressant exposure is associated with diversified cancer risk among 14,832 patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a nested case-control study.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017; 56: 620-628
- Accelerated atherosclerosis in patients with SLE-mechanisms and management.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2012; 8: 214-223
- Do current arterial hypertension treatment guidelines apply to systemic lupus erythematosus patients? A critical appraisal.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2014; 43: 521-525
- Cardiovascular disease a hazard despite improved prognosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: results from a Swedish population based study 1964-95.J Rheumatol. 2004; 31: 713-719
- Minireview: overview of the renin-angiotensin system—an endocrine and paracrine system.Endocrinology. 2003; 144: 2179-2183
- Classical renin-angiotensin system in kidney physiology.Compr Physiol. 2014; 4: 1201-1228
- Within the brain: the renin angiotensin system.Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19: 876
- RAS inhibition in hypertension.J Hum Hypertens. 2006; 20: 101-108
- KDOQI US commentary on the 2012 KDIGO clinical practice guideline for glomerulonephritis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 62: 403-441
- 2019 Update of the Joint European League Against Rheumatism and European Renal Association-European Dialysis and Transplant Association (EULAR/ERA-EDTA) recommendations for the management of lupus nephritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2020; 79: 713-723
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors delay the occurrence of renal involvement and are associated with a decreased risk of disease activity in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus—results from LUMINA (LIX): a multiethnic US cohort.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008; 47 (Jr): 1093-1096
- American College of Rheumatology guidelines for screening, treatment, and management of lupus nephritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012; 64: 797-808
- The potential therapeutic use of renin-angiotensin system inhibitors in the treatment of inflammatory diseases.J Cell Physiol. 2019; 234: 2277-2295
- Centrally acting angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor suppresses type I interferon responses and decreases inflammation in the periphery and the CNS in lupus-prone mice.Front Immunol. 2020; 11573677
- Angiotensin inhibition reduces glomerular damage and renal chemokine expression in MRL/lpr mice.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003; 307: 275-281
- Differential effects of captopril and enalapril, two angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors, on immune reactivity in experimental lupus disease.Agents Actions. 1990; 31: 96-101
- Lupus antibodies induce behavioral changes mediated by microglia and blocked by ACE inhibitors.J Exp Med. 2018; 215: 2554-2566
PearlDiver. PearlDiver Mariner Patient Claims Database. Colorado Springs, CO: PearlDiver Technologies. Available at: https://pearldiverinc.com. Accessed April 19, 2021.
- Identification and validation of lupus nephritis cases using administrative data.Lupus. 2010; 19: 741-743
- Developing electronic heath record algorithms that accurately identify patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017; 69: 687-693
- Validity of claims diagnosis codes for cardiovascular diseases in diabetes patients in Japanese administrative database.Clin Epidemiol. 2020; 12: 367-375
- A diagnostic accuracy study validating cardiovascular ICD-9-CM codes in healthcare administrative databases. The Umbra Data-Value Project.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0218919
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus–proposed guidelines for risk factor management.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2004; 43: 7-12
- A pravastatin dose-escalation study in systemic lupus erythematosus.Rheumatol Int. 2007; 27: 1071-1077
- Statin reduces mortality and morbidity in systemic lupus erythematosus patients with hyperlipidemia: A nationwide population-based study.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 11-18
- Effect of hydroxychloroquine on the survival of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: data from LUMINA, a multiethnic US cohort (LUMINA L).Ann Rheum Dis. 2007; 66: 1168-1172
- The protective effect of antimalarial drugs on thrombovascular events in systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 62: 863-868
- The cholesterol lowering effect of antimalarial drugs is enhanced in patients with lupus taking corticosteroid drugs.J Rheumatol. 1999; 26: 325-330
- 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.Hypertension. 2018; 71: 1269-1324
- Effects of blood pressure-lowering treatment on cardiovascular outcomes and mortality: 14 - effects of different classes of antihypertensive drugs in older and younger patients: overview and meta-analysis.J Hypertens. 2018; 36: 1637-1647
- Blood pressure lowering for prevention of cardiovascular disease and death: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2016; 387: 957-967
- First-line drugs inhibiting the renin angiotensin system versus other first-line antihypertensive drug classes for hypertension.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 11CD008170
- Effects of different regimens to lower blood pressure on major cardiovascular events in older and younger adults: meta-analysis of randomized trials.BMJ. 2008; 336: 1121-1123
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: Grant 2P01AG026572 from the National Institute on Aging, Grant 5R25NS107185 from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.