Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence and correlates of stress and burnout among U.S. healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic: a national cross-sectional survey study.EClinicalMedicine. 2021; 35100879https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.100879
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). The Rise of Wellness Initiatives in Health Care: Using National Survey Data to Support Effective Well-Being Champions and Wellness Programs. Available at:https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/report/rise-wellness-initiatives-health-care-using-national-survey-data-support-effective-well-being. Accessed January 31, 2022.
- Controlled interventions to reduce burnout in physicians: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 195-205https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.7674
- Faculty sabbatical leaves: evidence from NSOPF, 1999 and 2004.J Fac Dev. 2010; 24: 11-18
- Sabbatical.JAMA. 1989; 261: 408-410
Zahorski KJ. The Sabbatical Mentor: A Practical Guide to Successful Sabbaticals. Bolton, MA: Anker Pub. Co.; 1994. Available at: http://archive.org/details/sabbaticalmentor0000-zaho. Accessed February 5, 2022.
- The role and benefits of the sabbatical leave in faculty development and satisfaction.New Dir Institutional Res. 2000; : 67-75https://doi.org/10.1002/ir.10506
- Faculty members’ evaluations of sabbaticals.J Med Educ. 1986; 61: 803-807https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-198610000-00004
- Sabbatical programs and the status of academic emergency medicine: a survey.Acad Emerg Med. 1999; 6: 932-938https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.1999.tb01244.x
- What I learned on my sabbatical.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 1996; 71: 257https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199603000-00016
- A surprise sabbatical: how Mayo Clinic neurosurgery coped with coronavirus disease 2019.World Neurosurg. 2020; 143: 26-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2020.07.172
- A sabbatical: the gift that keeps on giving.Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 5: 656-658https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcmgh.2018.01.010
- Continuing medical education reconceived: evaluation of a sabbatical program for physicians.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 1996; 71: S46-S48https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199610000-00041
- Sabbatical leave: an important mechanism for revitalizing faculty.J Lab Clin Med. 1989; 113: 537-540
- The professional sabbatical: a systematic review and considerations for the health-system pharmacist.Res Soc Adm Pharm. 2020; 16: 1632-1644https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2020.02.011
- Sabbatical.Ann Emerg Med. 1996; 27: 668-671https://doi.org/10.1016/s0196-0644(96)70174-9
- Is academic medicine making mid-career women physicians invisible?.J Womens Health. 2002; 29: 187-192https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2019.7732
- Intention to leave emergency medicine: mid-career women are at increased risk.West J Emerg Med. 2020; 21: 1131-1139https://doi.org/10.5811/westjem.2020.5.47313
American Association of Medical Colleges. The redistribution of tenure tracks for U.S. medical school faculty: Clinical MD faculty (Part I). Available at: https://www.aamc.org/media/8041/download?attachment. Accessed January 13, 2022.
American Association of University Professors. No refuge: The annual report on the economic status of the profession, 2009-10. Available at: https://www.aaup.org/reports-publications/2009-10salarysurvey. Accessed Februa ry 5, 2022.
Berg S. How much physician burnout is costing your organization American Medical Association. Available at:https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/physician-health/how-much-physician-burnout-costing-your-organization. Accessed February 5, 2022.
Hanson M. Average Medical School Debt : Student Loan Statistics. Education Data Initiative. Available at: https://educationdata.org/average-medical-school-debt. Accessed February 5, 2022.
- Declining response rates in federal surveys: Trends and implications.Mathematica Policy Research, Washington, DC2016 (Available at:)Accessed January 19, 2021)
- From triple to quadruple aim: care of the patient requires care of the provider.Ann Fam Med. 2014; 12: 573-576https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1713
- Burnout among U.S. medical school faculty.Anal Brief. 2019; 19: 1-2
- Prevalence of burnout among physicians: a systematic review.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1131https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.12777
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2014.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1600-1613https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.08.023
- Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 995-1000https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181bfdab3
- Correlates and outcomes of physician burnout within a large academic medical center.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 856https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.0019
- Restoring faculty vitality in academic medicine when burnout threatens.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 979-984https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000002013
- Difficult issues in mentoring: Recommendations on making the “undiscussable” discussable.Acad Med. 2011; 86: 1229-1234https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e31822c0df7
- Sabbaticals and employee motivation: benefits, concerns, and implications.J Educ Bus. 2005; 80: 160-164https://doi.org/10.3200/JOEB.80.3.160-164
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.