Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Troponin T as a marker for myocardial ischemia in patients undergoing major noncardiac surgery.Am J Cardiol. 1996; 77: 1031-1036https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(96)00126-9
- Comparison of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I and T for the prediction of cardiac complications after non-cardiac surgery.Am Heart J. 2018; 203: 67-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2018.06.012
- Myocardial injury after non-cardiac surgery: A perioperative affair?.Minerva Anestesiol. 2018; 84: 1209-1218https://doi.org/10.23736/s0375-9393.18.12537-5
- Predicting myocardial injury and other cardiac complications after elective noncardiac surgery with the revised cardiac risk index: the VISION Study.Can J Cardiol. 2021; 37: 1215-1224https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2021.03.015
- Association between postoperative troponin troponin levels and 30-day mortality among patients undergoing noncardiac surgery.J Am Med Assoc. 2012; 307: 2295-2304
- Troponin elevations after non-cardiac, non-vascular surgery are predictive of major adverse cardiac events and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Anaesth. 2016; 117: 559-568https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aew321
- Myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery - an update.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2021; 34: 381-386https://doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0000000000000981
- Cardiac troponin T and troponin I in the general population: comparing and contrasting their genetic determinants and associations with outcomes.Circulation. 2019; 139: 2754-2764https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.118.038529
- High-sensitivity cardiac troponin I is a strong predictor of cardiovascular events and mortality in the AGES-Reykjavik community-based cohort of older individuals.Clin Chem. 2016; 62: 623-630https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2015.250811
- Prognostic value of changes in high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T beyond biological variation in stable outpatients with cardiovascular disease: a validation study.Clin Res Cardiol. 2022; 111: 333-342https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-021-01952-6
- Myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2014; 29: 307-311https://doi.org/10.1097/HCO.0000000000000069
- Cardiac complications in patients undergoing major noncardiac surgery.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2258-2269https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1502824
- Association of perioperative myocardial injury with 30-day and long-term mortality in older adult patients undergoing orthopedic surgery in China.Med Sci Monit. 2021; 27: 1-11https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.932036
- High-sensitivity troponin I after cardiac surgery and 30-day mortality.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386: 827-836https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa2000803
- Dabigatran in patients with myocardial injury after non-cardiac surgery (MANAGE): an international, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2018; 391: 2325-2334https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30832-8
- The effect of remote ischaemic preconditioning on myocardial injury in emergency hip fracture surgery (PIXIE trial): phase II randomised clinical trial.BMJ. 2019; 367: I6395https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l6395
- Effect of intraoperative dexamethasone on major complications and mortality among infants undergoing cardiac surgery: the DECISION randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2485-2492https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.8133
- Effect of dexamethasone on complications or all cause mortality after major non-cardiac surgery: multicentre, double blind, randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2021; 373: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n1162
- Role of lipocortin-1 in the anti-hyperalgesic actions of dexamethasone.Br J Pharmacol. 1997; 121: 883-888https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0701211
- Effect of high-dose preoperative methylprednisolone on pain and recovery after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Br J Anaesth. 2011; 106: 230-238https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeq333
- Preferential inhibition of adaptive immune system dynamics by glucocorticoids in patients after acute surgical trauma.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-17565-y
Meng J, Li L. The efficiency and safety of dexamethasone for pain control in total joint arthroplasty. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(24):e7126. https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000007126.
- Preoperative methylprednisolone enhances recovery after endovascular aortic repair: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Ann Surg. 2014; 260: 540-549https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000895
- Perioperative systemic steroid for rapid recovery in total knee and hip arthroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.J Orthop Surg Res. 2017; 12: 100https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-017-0601-4
- Effect of dexamethasone as an analgesic adjuvant to multimodal pain treatment after total knee arthroplasty: randomised clinical trial.BMJ. 2022; 376: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj-2021-067325
- Therapeutic manipulation of glucocorticoid metabolism in cardiovascular disease.Br J Pharmacol. 2009; 156: 689-712https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2008.00047.x
- Diagnosis and management of patients with myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2021; 144: e287-e305https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000001024
- DEX-2-TKA—DEXamethasone twice for pain treatment after total knee arthroplasty: a protocol for a randomized, blinded, three-group multicentre clinical trial.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2020; 64: 267-275https://doi.org/10.1111/aas.13481
- DEX-2-TKA - DEXamethasone twice for pain treatment after total knee arthroplasty: detailed statistical analysis plan for a randomized, blinded, three-group multicentre clinical trial.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2020; 64: 839-846https://doi.org/10.1111/aas.13560
- Association of postoperative high-sensitivity troponin levels with myocardial injury and 30-day mortality among patients undergoing noncardiac surgery.JAMA. 2017; 317: 1642-1651https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.4360
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society guidelines on perioperative cardiac risk assessment and management for patients who undergo noncardiac surgery.Can J Cardiol. 2017; 33: 17-32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2016.09.008
- Dexamethasone induces transcriptional activation of Bcl-xL gene and inhibits cardiac injury by myocardial ischemia.Eur J Pharmacol. 2011; 668: 194-200https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2011.06.019
- The glucocorticoid receptor in cardiovascular health and disease.Cells. 2019; 8: 1-21https://doi.org/10.3390/cells8101227
- Perioperative inflammation and its modulation by anesthetics.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 1058-1067https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002484
- Anesthesia-induced immune modulation.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2019; 32: 799-805https://doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0000000000000790
Funding: Analyses were funded by a grant from the Næstved, Slagelse, and Ringsted (NSR) Hospitals Research Fund and the Departments of Anesthesiology at NSR Hospitals and Bispebjerg Hospital.
Conflicts of Interest: AKM, KSG, THL, JCJ, IG, OM, and DH-P report none. CSM reports being a cofounder of a start-up company, WARD247 ApS, with the aim of pursuing the regulatory and commercial activities of the WARD-project (wireless assessment of vital signs). WARD247 ApS has finalized terms for license agreement for any WARD-project software and patents. One patent has been filed: “Wireless Assessment of Respiratory and circulatory Distress (WARD) – Clinical Support System (CSS) – an automated clinical support system to improve patient safety and outcomes” and also reports direct and indirect research funding from Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Radiometer and Boehringer Ingelheim, as well as lecture fees from Radiometer, all outside the submitted work.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.