Conclusion and Relevance
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- (In)Introductory overview.in: Hanna KE Manning FJ Bouxsein P Pope A Innovation and Invention in Medical Devices: Workshop Summary. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001 (Available at)Accessed October 4, 2022)
EMERGO by UL. USA – Overview of medical device industry and healthcare statistics. Available at: https://www.emergobyul.com/resources/market-united-states. Accessed October 20, 2020.
Drug Watch. FDA 510(k) clearance process. Available at: https://www.drugwatch.com/fda/510k-clearance/. Accessed October 20, 2020.
LaVito A. CNBC. FDA to overhaul more than 40-year-old process for approving medical devices that some say puts consumers at risk. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/fda-to-overhaul-510k-medical-device-approval-process.html. Accessed October 20, 2020.
U.S. Food & Drug Administration. CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=807.92. Accessed October 20, 2020.
U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Medical device recalls. Available at:https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfRes/res.cfm?start_search=1&event_id=&devicedescriptiontxt=&devicecode=&IVDDevices=&rootCauseText=&recallstatus=¢erclassificationtypetext=&recallnumber=&postdatefrom=&postdateto=&deviceshortreasontxt=&firmlegalnam=&PMA_510K_Num=&pnumber=P000058&knumber=&sortcolumn=cda. Accessed October 20, 2020.
- Retrograde ejaculation after anterior lumbar interbody fusion using rhBMP-2: a cohort controlled study.Spine J. 2011; 11 (Accessed October 4, 2022): 511-516https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2011.02.013
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Special 510(k) premarket notification. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf2/K022077.pdf. Accessed October 20, 2020.
Enjuris. Stryker Orthopedics hip replacement recalls and lawsuits. Available at: https://www.enjuris.com/hip-surgery/stryker.html. Accessed October 20, 2020.
Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Shortcomings of device claims data complicate and potentially increase Medicare costs for recalled and prematurely failed devices (A-01-15-00504). Available at: https://oig.hhs.gov/oas/reports/region1/11500504.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2022.
- Lack of publicly available scientific evidence on the safety and effectiveness of implanted medical devices.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174 (Available at:) (Accessed October 4, 2022): 1781-1787
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 510(k) Premarket notification. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfpmn/pmn.cfm. Accessed July 15, 2022.
Open Payments. Open payments data highlights. Available at: openpaymentsdata.cms.gov. Accessed July 15, 2022.
- Lo B Field MJ Conflict of Interest in Medical Research, Education, and Practice. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). MAUDE – Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/search.cfm. Accessed October 22, 2021.
- The effect of financial conflict of interest, disclosure status, and relevance on medical research from the United States.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 429-434
- Investigation of financial conflict of interest among published ventral hernia research.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 226: 230-234
- Scope and impact of financial conflicts of interest in biomedical research: a systematic review.JAMA. 2003; 289: 454-465
- Funding of US biomedical research, 2003-2008.JAMA. 2010; 303 (Accessed October 4, 2022): 137-143https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1987
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Emergency use authorization. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/emergency-use-authorization. Accessed July 15, 2022.
- Comparative study of treatment for distal radius fractures with two different palmar locking plates.J Hand Surg Eur. 2016; 41: 536-542
- Concurrent exergaming and transcranial direct current stimulation to improve balance in people with Parkinson's disease: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.Trials. 2018; 19: 387
- Feasibility, acceptability and effects of a home-based exercise program using a gerontechnology on physical capacities after a minor injury in community-living older adults: a pilot study.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 16-25
- Prospective randomized controlled trial comparing partially absorbable lightweight mesh and multifilament polyester anatomical mesh in laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.Asian J Endosc Surg. 2018; 11: 146-150
- Hemostatic changes during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: a prospective randomized clinical trial comparing three different extracorporeal membrane oxygenation systems.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 747-754
- Evaluation and control of waste anesthetic gas in the postanesthesia care unit within patient and caregiver breathing zones.Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent. 2019; 32: 43-49
- Evaluation of a novel waste anaesthetic gas scavenger device for use during recovery from anaesthesia.Anaesthesia. 2018; 73: 59-64
- Comparison of Broström technique, suture anchor repair, and tape augmentation for reconstruction of the anterior talofibular ligament.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 1101-1107
- Multi-centre randomised controlled trial of a smart phone-based event recorder alongside standard care versus standard care for patients presenting to the Emergency Department with palpitations and pre-syncope – the IPED (Investigation of Palpitations in the ED) study: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.Trials. 2018; 19: 711
- A randomized trial evaluating the accuracy of AF detection by four external ambulatory ECG monitors compared to permanent pacemaker AF detection.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2020; 57: 361-369
- Blood loss associated with radical cystectomy: a prospective, randomized study comparing Impact LigaSure vs. stapling device.Urol Oncol. 2014; 32 (45.e11-e15)
- Efficacy of fluorescence technology vs conventional oral examination for the early detection of oral pre-malignant lesions. A clinical comparative study.Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2019; 19: 852-858
- A multicenter evaluation of oral pressure therapy for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.Sleep Med. 2013; 14: 830-837
- Comparative evaluation of bioactive glass (putty) and platelet rich fibrin in treating furcation defects.J Oral Implantol. 2016; 42: 411-415
- Adhesion prevention efficacy of composite meshes Parietex®, Proceed® and 4DryField® PH covered polypropylene meshes in an IPOM rat model.Int J Med Sci. 2016; 13: 936-941
- Pediatric intraosseous access performed by emergency department nurses using semiautomatic devices: a randomized crossover simulation study.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2021; 37: 442-446
- Pilot study of a novel swine model for controlling junctional hemorrhage using the iTClamp in conjunction with hemostatic agents.Mil Med. 2019; 184: 367-373
- A novel colonoscope with panoramic visualization detected more simulated polyps than conventional colonoscopy in a live swine model.Endosc Int Open. 2015; 3: E642-E645
- Randomized crossover trial of silicone hydrogel presbyopic contact lenses.Optom Vis Sci. 2016; 93: 141-149
- Point-of-care end-tidal carbon monoxide reflects severity of hemolysis in sickle cell anemia.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2015; 62: 912-914
- Phase II study of induction chemotherapy followed by chemoradiotherapy in patients with borderline resectable and unresectable locally advanced pancreatic cancer.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 45845
- Experimental evaluation of percutaneous lumbar laser disc decompression using a 1414 nm Nd:YAG laser.Pain Physician. 2015; 18: E1091-E1099
- Safety and efficacy of combined extracorporeal CO2 removal and renal replacement therapy in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome and acute kidney injury: the pulmonary and renal support in acute respiratory distress syndrome study.Crit Care Med. 2015; 43: 2570-2581
- Prospective randomized comparison of posterior-stabilized versus condylar-stabilized total knee arthroplasty: final report of a five-year study.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 1384-1388
- Functional outcomes of a new mobile-bearing ultra-congruent TKA system: comparison with the posterior stabilized system.J Arthroplasty. 2015; 30: 2137-2142
- No differences in clinical outcomes or isokinetic performance between cruciate-substituting ultra-congruent and posterior stabilized total knee arthroplasties: a randomized controlled trial.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021; 29: 3443-3449
- Informed consent through 3D virtual reality: a randomized clinical trial.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2021; 163: 301-308
- The use of computer decision support systems for the critical care environment.AACN Adv Crit Care. 2009; 20: 216-219
- Electrically stimulated glottal opening combined with adductor muscle botox blockade restores both ventilation and voice in a patient with bilateral laryngeal paralysis.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2002; 111: 500-506
- Successful management of benign biliary strictures with fully covered self-expanding metal stents.Gastroenterology. 2014; 147: 385-395
- Covered and uncovered biliary metal stents provide similar relief of biliary obstruction during neoadjuvant therapy in pancreatic cancer: a randomized trial.Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 90 (602-612.e4)
- A comparison of bilateral stenting methods for malignant hilar biliary obstruction.Hepatogastroenterology. 2012; 59: 341-346
- Effect of silver diamine fluoride treatment on microbial profiles of plaque biofilms from root/cervical caries lesions.Caries Res. 2019; 53: 555-566
- Trial of a paclitaxel-coated balloon for femoropopliteal artery disease.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 145-153
- Spectrophotometric analysis of fluorescent zirconia abutments compared to “conventional” zirconia abutments: a within subject controlled clinical trial.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2017; 19: 760-766
- A trial of radiofrequency ablation for anal intraepithelial neoplasia.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017; 32: 357-365
- A single-center pilot study of ccircumferential anal canal radiofrequency ablation (RFA) to treat anal high-grade dysplasia.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016; 3: 2132
- A prospective randomized multicenter trial comparing clinical outcomes of patients treated surgically with a static or dynamic implant for acute ankle syndesmosis rupture.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: 216-223
- Auricular acupuncture for postoperative pain after gynecological surgery: a randomized controlled trail.Minerva Anestesiol. 2011; 77: 298-304
- Immediately loaded platform-switched implants in the anterior mandible with fixed prostheses: a randomized, split-mouth, masked prospective trial.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2014; 16: 884-892
- Safety and efficacy of initializing the control-IQ artificial pancreas system based on total daily insulin in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2020; 22: 594-601
- A randomized trial of closed-loop control in children with type 1 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 836-845
- Standalone balloon dilation versus sinus surgery for chronic rhinosinusitis: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, controlled trial.Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2013; 27: 416-422
- A comparison of the arterial blood concentration of isoflurane during cardiopulmonary bypass between 2 polypropylene oxygenators.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2020; 34: 1184-1190
- Acupuncture for the treatment of major depressive disorder: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Psychiatry. 2011; 72: 1129-1135
- Acupuncture augmentation of lidocaine for provoked, localized vulvodynia: a feasibility and acceptability study.J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2019; 23: 279-286
- The use of silver nylon in preventing surgical site infections following colon and rectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2011; 54: 1014-1019
- Core needle versus standard needle for endoscopic ultrasound-guided biopsy of solid pancreatic masses: a randomized crossover study.Endoscopy. 2014; 46: 1063-1070
- A randomized controlled trial comparing the Arctic Sun to standard cooling for induction of hypothermia after cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 9-14
- Mechanical prophylaxis of deep-vein thrombosis after total hip replacement: a randomised clinical trial.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004; 86: 639-642
- Thrombosis prevention after total hip arthroplasty: a prospective, randomized trial comparing a mobile compression device with low-molecular-weight heparin.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 527-535
- Optical coherence tomography to optimize results of percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with non–ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome: results of the multicenter, randomized DOCTORS study (Does Optical Coherence Tomography Optimize Results of Stenting).Circulation. 2016; 134: 906-917
- Comparison of anterior capsulotomy techniques: continuous curvilinear capsulorhexis, femtosecond laser-assisted capsulotomy and selective laser capsulotomy.Br J Ophthalmol. 2020; 104: 437-442
- Use of a surgical rehearsal platform and improvement in aneurysm clipping measures: results of a prospective, randomized trial.J Neurosurg. 2017; 126: 838-844
- Efficacy in deep vein thrombosis prevention with extended mechanical compression device therapy and prophylactic aspirin following total knee arthroplasty: a randomized control trial.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 1478-1482
- Humidified and heated air during stabilization at birth improves temperature in preterm infants.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e1427-e1432
- Functional evaluation of conventional ‘Celsite®’venous ports versus ‘Vortex®’ports with a tangential outlet: a prospective randomised pilot study.Support Care Cancer. 2008; 16: 1367-1374
- Preterm infants may better tolerate feeds at temperatures closer to freshly expressed breast milk: a randomized controlled trial.Breastfeed Med. 2019; 14: 154-158
- Evaluating the user performance and experience with a re-engineered 4 mm × 32G pen needle: a randomized trial with similar length/gauge needles.Diabetes Ther. 2019; 10: 697-712
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: The authors received no external funding support for this manuscript.
Conflicts of Interest: The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.