Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in the incidence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a 25-year population-based study.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 585-593
- Predictors of recurrence after deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a population-based cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 761-768
- A population-based perspective of the hospital incidence and case-fatality rates of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. The Worcester DVT Study.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 933-938
- A novel user-friendly score (HAS-BLED) to assess 1-year risk of major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation: the Euro Heart Survey.Chest. 2010; 138: 1093-1100
- Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: CHEST guideline and expert panel report.Chest. 2016; 149: 315-352
- American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: treatment of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.Blood Adv. 2020; 4: 4693-4738
- Treatment of acute venous thromboembolism with dabigatran or warfarin and pooled analysis.Circulation. 2014; 129: 764-772
- Oral rivaroxaban for symptomatic venous thromboembolism.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2499-2510
- Oral rivaroxaban for the treatment of symptomatic pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1287-1297
- Edoxaban versus warfarin for the treatment of symptomatic venous thromboembolism.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1406-1415
- Oral apixaban for the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 799-808
- Dabigatran versus warfarin in the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2342-2352
- Comparative safety of direct oral anticoagulants and warfarin in venous thromboembolism: multicentre, population based, observational study.BMJ. 2017; 359: j4323
- The active comparator, new user study design in pharmacoepidemiology: historical foundations and contemporary application.Curr Epidemiol Rep. 2015; 2: 221-228
RAMQ. Public prescription drug insurance plan. Available at: https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/prescription-drug-insurance/know-eligibility-conditions-public-plan.
- The use of prescription claims databases in pharmacoepidemiological research: the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the prescription claims database in Quebec.J Clin Epidemiol. 1995; 48: 999-1009
- Validation of diagnostic codes within medical services claims.J Clin Epidemiol. 2004; 57: 131-141
- Characteristics and external validity of the German Health Risk Institute (HRI) Database.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016; 25: 106-109
- Effectiveness and safety of direct oral anticoagulants in patients with cancer associated venous thromboembolism.Thromb Res. 2021; 202: 128-133
- Effectiveness and safety of direct oral anticoagulants with antiplatelet agents in patients with venous thromboembolism: a multi-database cohort study.Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2022; 6: e12643
- High-dimensional propensity score adjustment in studies of treatment effects using health care claims data.Epidemiology. 2009; 20: 512-522
- Flexible regression models with cubic splines.Stat Med. 1989; 8: 551-561
- Measuring frailty in medicare data: development and validation of a claims-based frailty index.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2018; 73: 980-987
- The use of propensity score methods with survival or time-to-event outcomes: reporting measures of effect similar to those used in randomized experiments.Stat Med. 2014; 33: 1242-1258
- Dealing with limited overlap in estimation of average treatment effects.Biometrika. 2009; 96: 187-199
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Direct oral anticoagulants compared with vitamin K antagonists for acute venous thromboembolism: evidence from phase 3 trials.Blood. 2014; 124: 1968-1975
- DOACs versus VKAs in older adults treated for acute venous thromboembolism: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 2021-2026
- Comparative effectiveness and safety of direct oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Drug Saf. 2019; 42: 1135-1148
- Very elderly patients with venous thromboembolism on oral anticoagulation with VKAs or DOACs: results from the prospective multicenter START2-Register Study.Thromb Res. 2019; 183: 28-32
- Challenges in meta-analyses with observational studies.Evid Based Ment Health. 2020; 23: 83-87
- Administrative codes inaccurately identify recurrent venous thromboembolism: the CVRN VTE study.Thromb Res. 2020; 189: 112-118
Funding: This study was funded by the Canadian Venous Thromboembolism Research Network, which receives grant funding from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funding Reference: CDT-142654 ), and by the Canada-Germany collaborative industrial research and development program AI-based Risk Prediction and Treatment Effect estimation based on health data, which receives grant funding from the National Research Council of Canada and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (Funding Reference: AIR_PTE 01MJ20001B).
Conflicts of Interest: AD holds a Chercheur-Boursier Junior 1 award from the Fonds de Recherche du Québec–Santé. AD and VT are researchers of the Canadian Venous Thromboembolism Research Network. FB, YC, JD, JW, and DE report none.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.