- •Idiopathic ventricular fibrillation is responsible for ≈ 5-7% of aborted cardiac arrest, mainly striking subjects in their 40’s.
- •Syncope caused by short-coupled rapid polymorphic ventricular tachycardia is frequently noted in patients’ past history.
- •Clinical clues suggest that syncope has an arrhythmic rather than a neurally-mediated origin.
- •ECG documentation of short-coupled premature ventricular contractions after a syncopal event highly suggests its arrhythmic origin in the setting of idiopathic ventricular fibrillation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation: Role of Purkinje System and Microstructural Myocardial Abnormalities.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020; 6: 591-608
- Short-coupled Idiopathic ventricular fibrillation: A literature review with new extended follow-Up.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2022 Apr 28; (S2405-500X(22)00335-8Online ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacep.2022.04.013
- Syncope in Brugada syndrome: prevalence, clinical significance, and clues from history taking to distinguish arrhythmic from nonarrhythmic causes.Heart Rhythm. 2015; 12: 367-375
- Age of first faint in patients with vasovagal syncope. Investigators of the Syncope Symptom Study and the Prevention of Syncope Trial.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006; 17: 49-54
- Short-coupled ventricular fibrillation represents a distinct phenotype among latent causes of unexplained cardiac arrest: a report from the CASPER registry.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 2827-2838
- Sex differences in the origin of Purkinje ectopy-initiated idiopathic ventricular fibrillation.Heart Rhythm. 2021; 18: 1647-1654
- Long-term follow-up of idiopathic ventricular fibrillation ablation: a multicenter study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: 522-528