- •The associations of lipid levels and of lipoprotein levels and size with hip fracture risk are uncertain.
- •In this study, HDL-c and LDL-c levels had significant non-linear associations with fracture risk.
- •VLDL number and size, and HDL particle size, were positively associated with risk.
- •Elevated lipid and lipoprotein levels are associated with hip fracture risk, suggesting an unanticipated protective benefit of lipid lowering medications in people with elevated LDL-c levels.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Osteoclast formation, survival and morphology are highly dependent on exogenous cholesterol/lipoproteins.Cell Death Differ. 2004; 11 (Suppl): S108-S118
- Vitamin D status and its association with cardiometabolic risk factors in Korean adults based on a 2008–2010 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Nutr Res Pract. 2013; 7: 495-502
- New insights into osteoporosis: the bone-fat connection.J Intern Med. 2012; 272: 317-329
- Metabolomic profiles associated with bone mineral density in US Caucasian women.Nutr Metab (Lond). 2018 Aug 10; 15: 57
- Osteoporosis, vertebral fractures and metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women.BMC Endocr Disord. 2014; 14: 93
- Obesity and fracture in men and women: an epidemiologic perspective.J Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27: 1-10
- Diabetes mellitus and risk of skeletal fracture.N Engl J Med. 1981; 304: 115-116
- Cardiovascular diseases and risk of hip fracture.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1666-1673
- The associations of subclinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease with hip fracture risk and bone mineral density in elderly adults; the Cardiovascular Health Study.Osteoporos Int. 2018; 29: 2219-2230
- Brasilia Study on Healthy Aging and Brasilia Heart Study. Lower bone mass is associated with subclinical atherosclerosis, endothelial dysfunction and carotid thickness in the very elderly.Atherosclerosis. 2020; 292: 70-74
- Effects of Statins on Bone Mineral Density and Fracture Risk: A PRISMA-compliant Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95 (May): e3042
- Uptake of postprandial lipoproteins into bone in vivo: impact on osteoblast function.Bone. 2008; 43: 230-237
- Dual effects of lipid metabolism on osteoblast function.Front Endocrinol. 2020; 11578194
- Effects of bioactive lipids and lipoproteins on bone.Trends Endocrinol Metabol. 2014; 25: 53-58
- Lipid metabolism disorders and bone dysfunction–interrelated and mutually regulated (review).Mol Med Rep. 2015; 12: 783-794
- Lipid Profile and Risk of Bone Fracture: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies.Endocr Res. 2019; 44: 168-184
- The Cardiovascular Health Study: design and rationale.Ann Epidemiol. 1991; 1: 263-276
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of lipoproteins and risk of coronary heart disease in the cardiovascular health study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002; 22: 1175-1180
- Prevalence of subclinical atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease and association with risk factors in the Cardiovascular Health Study.Am J Epidemiol. 1994; 139: 1164-1179
- Laboratory methods and quality assurance in the Cardiovascular Health Study.Clin Chem. 1995; 41: 264-270
- Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Re-randomization tests in clinical trials.Stat Med. 2019; 38: 2292-2302
- Osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease: brittle bones and boned arteries, is there a link?.Endocrine. 2004; 23: 1-10
- Extreme high high-density lipoprotein cholesterol is paradoxically associated with high mortality in men and women: two prospective cohort studies.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2478-2486
- High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Mortality: Too Much of a Good Thing?.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2018; 38: 669-672
- Blood lipid levels in patients with osteopenia and osteoporosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Bone Miner Metab. 2021; 39: 510-520
- Association between lipid profiles and osteoporosis in postmopausal women: a meta-analysis.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2018; 22: 1-9
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism and bone mass.J Endocrinol. 2017; 233: R95-R107
- HDL cholesterol and bone mineral density: is there a genetic link?.Bone. 2012; 50: 525-533
- The Effect of Plasma Lipids and Lipid-Lowering Interventions on Bone Mineral Density: A Mendelian Randomization Study.J Bone Miner Res. 2020; 35: 1224-1235
- Therapeutic strategies targeting inflammation and immunity in atherosclerosis: how to proceed?.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2022; 31 (Jan): 1-21
- Interrelationship of triglycerides with lipoproteins and high-density lipoproteins.Am J Cardiol. 1990; 66: 20A-23A
- Features of the metabolic syndrome and the risk of non-vertebral fractures: the Tromso study.Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 426-432
- Association between metabolic syndrome and incident fractures in Korean men: a 3-year follow-up observational study using national health insurance claims data.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 1615-1622
- Triglyceride Levels and Fracture Risk in Midlife Women: Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN).J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2016; 101: 3297-3305
- Associations between baseline risk factors and vertebral fracture risk in the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Study.J Bone Mineral Res. 2004; 19: 764-772