Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pathophysiology of sickle cell disease.Annu Rev Pathol. 2019; 14: 263-292
- Mortality in sickle cell disease. Life expectancy and risk factors for early death.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 1639-1644
- Management of sickle cell disease complications beyond acute chest syndrome.J Blood Med. 2021; 12: 101-114
- Sickle cell disease complications: prevalence and resource utilization.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0214355
- Sickle cell disease in the older adult.Pathology. 2017; 49: 1-9
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Data & statistics on sickle cell disease. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/data.html. Accessed August 30, 2021.
- Complications associated with sickle cell trait: a brief narrative review.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 507-512
- Global epidemiology of sickle haemoglobin in neonates: a contemporary geostatistical model-based map and population estimates.Lancet. 2013; 381: 142-151
American Society of Hematology Clinical Practice Guidelines on Sickle Cell Disease. Published 2016. Available at:https://www.hematology.org/education/clinicians/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-practice-guidelines/sickle-cell-disease-guidelines. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- The carrier state for sickle cell disease is not completely harmless.Haematologica. 2019; 104: 1106-1111
- Clinical outcomes associated with sickle cell trait: a systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 619-627
- The UK Biobank resource with deep phenotyping and genomic data.Nature. 2018; 562: 203-209
- Sickle-cell disease.Lancet. 2010; 376: 2018-2031
- Association among sickle cell trait, fitness, and cardiovascular risk factors in CARDIA.Blood. 2017; 129: 723-728
- Similar burden of type 2 diabetes among adult patients with sickle cell disease relative to African Americans in the U.S. population: a six-year population-based cohort analysis.Br J Haematol. 2019; 185: 116-127
- Association between sickle cell trait and the prevalence and severity of diabetic retinopathy.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0159215
- Albuminuria in Afro-Caribbeans with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: is the sickle cell trait a risk factor?.Diabet Med. 2004; 21: 483-486
- Sickle cell trait and diabetic retinopathy.Br J Ophthalmol. 1979; 63: 837-838
- Sickle cell trait and development of microvascular complications in diabetes mellitus.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 1015-1020
- Sickle cell trait and the risk of ESRD in blacks.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 28: 2180-2187
- Sickle cell trait worsens oxidative stress, abnormal blood rheology, and vascular dysfunction in type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 2120-2127
- Do Nigerian diabetics with haemoglobin genotype Hb AS have greater risks of developing renal complications and hypertension? A preliminary report.Trop Geogr Med. 1985; 37: 309-313
- Sickle cell trait and gender influence type 2 diabetic complications in African patients.Eur J Intern Med. 2004; 15: 312-315
- Increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes-related complications in combined type 2 diabetes and sickle cell trait.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 2595-2602
- Sickle cell trait–neglected opportunities in the era of genomic medicine.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1495-1496
- History and current status of newborn screening for hemoglobinopathies.Semin Perinatol. 2010; 34: 134-144
- Implementation of the newborn screening programme for sickle cell disease in England: results for 2003-2005.J Med Screen. 2008; 15: 9-13
Funding: NorthShore University HealthSystem.
Conflicts of Interest: None for all authors.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and contributed to writing this manuscript.