Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Assessment of the appropriateness of antimicrobial use in US hospitals.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e212007
- Vital signs: improving antibiotic use among hospitalized patients.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 194-200
- Antibiotic overuse after hospital discharge: a multi-hospital cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 73: e4499-e4506
- An evaluation of antibiotic prescribing practices upon hospital discharge.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 353-355
- ADD It Up: an evaluation of antibiotic duration at hospital discharge at a community hospital.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021; 8: ofab399
- Categorical risk perception drives variability in antibiotic prescribing in the emergency department: a mixed methods observational study.J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32: 1083-1089
- Us emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events, 2013-2014.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2115-2125
- Association of adverse events with antibiotic use in hospitalized patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1308-1315
- Risk factors for Clostridium difficile infection in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia.J Infect. 2016; 73: 45-53
- Association between prior antibiotic therapy and subsequent risk of community-acquired infections: a systematic review.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018; 73: 287-296
- Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Thoracic Society.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: e61-e111
- Clinical risk score for prediction of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in bloodstream isolates.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 266-272
- Risk of subsequent sepsis within 90 days after a hospital stay by type of antibiotic exposure.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: 1004-1012
- The Maxwell Finland Lecture: for the duration-rational antibiotic administration in an era of antimicrobial resistance and Clostridium difficile.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 491-496
- Comparison of 8 vs 15 days of antibiotic therapy for ventilator-associated pneumonia in adults: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2588-2598
- Short-course empiric antibiotic therapy for patients with pulmonary infiltrates in the intensive care unit. A proposed solution for indiscriminate antibiotic prescription.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 162: 505-511
- The new antibiotic mantra-“Shorter Is Better.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1254-1255
- Is double coverage of gram-negative organisms necessary?.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011; 68: 119-124
- Economic impact of redundant antimicrobial therapy in US hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 1229-1235
- Double trouble: how big a problem is redundant anaerobic antibiotic coverage in Veterans Affairs medical centres?.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 1537-1539
- 2017 Infectious Diseases Society of America's clinical practice guidelines for healthcare-associated ventriculitis and meningitis.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 64: e34-e65
- infective endocarditis in adults: diagnosis, antimicrobial therapy, and management of complications: a scientific statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 1435-1486
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of sepsis and septic shock 2021.Crit Care Med. 2021; 49: e1063-e1143
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Prevention and treatment of cancer-related infections. 2021. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/guidelines/guidelines-detail?category=3&id=1457. Accessed January 4, 2022.
- Combination therapy for treatment of infections with gram-negative bacteria.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012; 25: 450-470
- Effect of vancomycin or daptomycin with vs without an antistaphylococcal β-lactam on mortality, bacteremia, relapse, or treatment failure in patients with MRSA bacteremia: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2020; 323: 527-537
- Combination therapy for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: not ready for prime time.JAMA. 2020; 323: 515-516
- Switch over from intravenous to oral therapy: a concise overview.J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2014; 5: 83-87
- Outcomes of early switching from intravenous to oral antibiotics on medical wards.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009; 64: 188-199
- Oral versus intravenous antibiotics for bone and joint infection.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 425-436
- Evaluation of a paradigm shift from intravenous antibiotics to oral step-down therapy for the treatment of infective endocarditis: a narrative review.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; 180: 769-777
- Oral β-lactam antibiotics vs fluoroquinolones or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for definitive treatment of Enterobacterales bacteremia from a urine source.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2020166
- Fully oral targeted antibiotic therapy for Gram-positive cocci-related periprosthetic joint infections: a real-life before and after study.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2021; 76: 3033-3036
- Fluoroquinolone versus beta-lactam oral step-down therapy for uncomplicated streptococcal bloodstream infections.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2020; 64: e01515-e01520
- Clinical practice guideline for the management of asymptomatic bacteriuria: 2019 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: e83-e110
- Approach to a positive urine culture in a patient without urinary symptoms.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2014; 28: 15-31
- Antibiotics for asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; CD000490
- Deconstructing the urinalysis: a novel approach to diagnostic and antimicrobial stewardship.Antimicrob Steward Healthc Epidemiol. 2021; 1: e6
- Urinary tract infection and asymptomatic bacteriuria in older adults.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2017; 31: 673-688
- Urine clarity inaccurate to rule out urinary tract infection in women.J Am Board Fam Med. 2011; 24: 474-475
- Top ten myths regarding the diagnosis and treatment of urinary tract infections.J Emerg Med. 2016; 51: 25-30
- Antibiotic susceptibility reporting and association with antibiotic prescribing: a cohort study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2021; 27: 568-575
- Point prevalence of penicillin allergy in hospital inpatients.J Hosp Infect. 2020; 106: 65-70
- The impact of penicillin skin testing on clinical practice and antimicrobial stewardship.J Hosp Med. 2013; 8: 341-345
- Health care use and serious infection prevalence associated with penicillin “allergy” in hospitalized patients: A cohort study.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 133: 790-796
- Antibiotic allergy.Lancet. 2019; 393: 183-198
- Oral antibiotic adverse reactions after penicillin skin testing: multi-year follow-up.Allergy. 2002; 57: 1151-1158
- Clinical outcomes following inpatient penicillin allergy testing: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Allergy. 2017; 72: 1288-1296
- Safety and efficacy of de-labelling penicillin allergy in adults using direct oral challenge: a systematic review.JAC Antimicrob Resist. 2021; 3: dlaa123
- Evaluation of a Pharmacist-Led Penicillin Allergy Assessment Program and Allergy Delabeling in a Tertiary Care Hospital.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e219820
- Practical guide for evaluation and management of beta-lactam allergy: position statement from the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2020; 16: 95
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guideline for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 2017.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 784-791
- Single- versus multiple-dose antimicrobial prophylaxis for major surgery: a systematic review.Aust N Z J Surg. 1998; 68: 388-396
- Association of duration and type of surgical prophylaxis with antimicrobial-associated adverse events.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 590-598
- Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery.Surg Infect. 2013; 14: 73-156
- Prolonged antibiotic prophylaxis after cardiovascular surgery and its effect on surgical site infections and antimicrobial resistance.Circulation. 2000; 101: 2916-2921
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for cardiac surgery: current United Kingdom practice.Br Heart J. 1993; 70: 585-586
- Current practice among plastic surgeons of antibiotic prophylaxis and closed-suction drains in breast reconstruction: experience, evidence, and implications for postoperative care.Ann Plast Surg. 2011; 66: 460-465
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Practice Guideline Series: Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Cardiac Surgery, Part I: Duration.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 81: 397-404
- Extended prophylactic antibiotics for mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction: a meta-analysis.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020; 8: e2613
- The insertion and management of external ventricular drains: an evidence-based consensus statement: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Neurocritical Care Society.Neurocrit Care. 2016; 24: 61-81
- Nitrofurantoin contraindication in patients with a creatinine clearance below 60 mL/min: looking for the evidence.Ann Pharmacother. 2013; 47: 106-111
- Retrospective review on the safety and efficacy of nitrofurantoin for the treatment of cystitis in the veteran population with or without renal insufficiency.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021; 8: ofab442
- Nitrofurantoin safety and effectiveness in treating acute uncomplicated cystitis (AUC) in hospitalized adults with renal insufficiency: antibiotic stewardship implications.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017; 36: 1213-1216
- A retrospective review assessing the efficacy and safety of nitrofurantoin in renal impairment.Can Pharm J. 2009; 142: 248-252
- Evaluation of the risk of nitrofurantoin lung injury and its efficacy in diminished kidney function in older adults in a large integrated healthcare system: a matched cohort study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016; 64: 798-805
- Effectiveness and safety of nitrofurantoin in outpatient male veterans.Ther Adv Urol. 2015; 7: 186-193
- The effectiveness of nitrofurantoin, fosfomycin and trimethoprim for the treatment of cystitis in relation to renal function.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2020; 26: 1355-1360
- American Geriatrics Society 2015 updated Beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 2227-2246
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA reinforces safety information about serious low blood sugar levels and mental health side effects with fluoroquinolone antibiotics; requires label changes. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-reinforces-safety-information-about-serious-low-blood-sugar-levels-and-mental-health-side. Accessed November 29, 2021.
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA requires label changes to warn of risk for possibly permanent nerve damage from antibacterial fluoroquinolone drugs taken by mouth or by injection. Available at:http://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170112031629/http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm365050.htm. Accessed November 29, 2021.
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-advises-restricting-fluoroquinolone-antibiotic-use-certain. Accessed November 29, 2021.
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA updates warnings for oral and injectable fluoroquinolone antibiotics due to disabling side effects. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-updates-warnings-oral-and-injectable-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics. Accessed November 29, 2021.
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about increased risk of ruptures or tears in the aorta blood vessel with fluoroquinolone antibiotics in certain patients. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-warns-about-increased-risk-ruptures-or-tears-aorta-blood-vessel-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics. Accessed November 29, 2021.
Funding: This work was not funded by any commercial entity.
Conflicts of Interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper. APD, TMJ, and SSS have no conflicts to disclose. APD has received consulting fees from Merck. EDA has received personal fees from Joint Commission Resources, Belmont University, and Making a Difference-Infections Diseases, author royalties from UpToDate, and research grants to her institution from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and consulting fees from University of Maryland, University of Chicago, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Hospital Association of New York State, and Sarah Moreland Russell Consulting. MDJ has received consulting fees from Astellas, Cidara, Merck, Entasis, Paratek, Pfizer, and Theratechnologies, author royalties from UpToDate, and research grants to her institution from Astellas, Scynexis, Charles River Laboratories, and Merck & Co, outside the submitted work.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.