Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Drug allergy: an updated practice parameter.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010; 105: 259-273
- Penicillin allergy is not necessarily forever.JAMA. 2017; 318: 82-83
- Evaluation and management of penicillin allergy: a review.JAMA. 2019; 321: 188-199
- Consequences of avoiding β-lactams in patients with β-lactam allergies.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016; 137: 1148-1153
- Health care use and serious infection prevalence associated with penicillin "allergy" in hospitalized patients: A cohort study.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 133: 790-796
- The incidence of antimicrobial allergies in hospitalized patients: implications regarding prescribing patterns and emerging bacterial resistance.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 2819-2822
- The cost of self-reported penicillin allergy: a systematic review.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018; 6: 1649-1654.e4
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion (DHQP). Is it really a penicillin allergy? Evaluation and diagnosis of penicillin allergy for healthcare professionals. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/community/for-hcp/Penicillin-Allergy.html. Accessed November 1, 2017.
- Executive summary: implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 1197-1202
- Improving antimicrobial stewardship by antibiotic allergy delabeling: evaluation of knowledge, attitude, and practices throughout the emerging infections network.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016; 3: ofw153
- Penicillin allergy testing should be performed routinely in patients with self-reported penicillin allergy.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017; 5: 333-334
- Addressing inpatient beta-lactam allergies: a multihospital implementation.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017; 5: 616-625.e7
- The use of cephalosporins in penicillin-allergic patients: a literature review.J Emerg Med. 2012; 42: 612-620
- Are cephalosporins safe for use in penicillin allergy without prior allergy evaluation?.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018; 6: 82-89
- Lack of allergic cross-reactivity to cephalosporins among patients allergic to penicillins.Clin Exp Allergy. 2001; 31: 438-443
- Safe use of selected cephalosporins in penicillin-allergic patients: a meta-analysis.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 136: 340-347
- Penicillin and cephalosporin allergy.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014; 112: 404-412
- Evaluating penicillin allergies without skin testing.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2019; 19: 27
- Impact of a clinical guideline for prescribing antibiotics to inpatients reporting penicillin or cephalosporin allergy.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015; 115: 294-300.e2
- Immediate allergic reactions to cephalosporins and penicillins and their cross-reactivity in children.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2005; 16: 341-347
- Cross-reactivity and tolerability of cephalosporins in patients with immediate hypersensitivity to penicillins.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 16-22
- Penicillin allergy: optimizing diagnostic protocols, public health implications, and future research needs.Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015; 15: 308-313
- Penicillin and beta-lactam allergy: epidemiology and diagnosis.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2014; 14: 476
- Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: recurrence and the impact of antibiotic treatment in a prospective multicenter study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2003; 82: 333-339
- Outcome of vancomycin treatment in patients with methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008; 52: 192-197
- Comparative effectiveness of beta-lactams versus vancomycin for treatment of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections among 122 hospitals.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 61: 361-367
- Comparative effectiveness of nafcillin or cefazolin versus vancomycin in methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.BMC Infect Dis. 2011; 11: 279
- Use of vancomycin or first-generation cephalosporins for the treatment of hemodialysis-dependent patients with methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 190-196
- Influence of reported penicillin allergy on mortality in MSSA bacteremia.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018; 5: ofy042
- The impact of a reported penicillin allergy on surgical site infection risk.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: 329-336
- Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2013; 14: 73-156
- Preoperative nasal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus status, surgical prophylaxis, and risk-adjusted postoperative outcomes in veterans.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 791-796
- Timing of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis and the risk of surgical site infection.JAMA Surg. 2013; 148: 649-657
- Impact of initial antibiotic choice and delayed appropriate treatment on the outcome of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006; 25: 181-185
Funding: No financial support was received in preparation of this manuscript.
Conflicts of Interest: Authors have no commercial or other associated conflicts of interest to disclose.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and participated in writing this manuscript. The manuscript was reviewed in its entirety in preparation for submission by the submitting authors on December 7, 2021.