Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fever of unexplained origin: report on 100 cases.Medicine (Baltimore). 1961; 40: 1-30
- Fever of unknown origin–reexamined and redefined.Curr Clin Top Infect Dis. 1991; 11: 35-51
- Fever of unknown origin.JAMA. 1930; 94: 1457-1461
- Fever of unknown origin (FUO). I A. prospective multicenter study of 167 patients with FUO, using fixed epidemiologic entry criteria. The Netherlands FUO Study Group.Medicine (Baltimore). 1997; 76: 392-400
- Long-continued, low-grade, idiopathic fever. Analysis of 100 cases.JAMA. 1934; 102: 889
- Diagnosis of obscure fever. I. The diagnosis of unexplained, long-continued, low-grade fever.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1936; 58: 109-133
- Diagnosis of obscure fever. II. The diagnosis of unexplained high fever.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1936; 58: 307
- Fever of unknown origin. With some remarks of the normal temperature in man.Acta Med Scand. 1953; 147: 133
- FUO revisited.Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 1983; 94: 44-54
- A prospective multicenter study on fever of unknown origin: the yield of a structured diagnostic protocol.Medicine (Baltimore). 2007; 86: 26-38
- Decreasing human body temperature in the United States since the industrial revolution.Elife. 2020; 9: e49555
- Low-grade fever: how to distinguish organic from non-organic forms.Int J Clin Pract. 2010; 64: 316-321
- Long-term follow-up of patients with undiagnosed fever of unknown origin.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 156: 618-620
- From prolonged febrile illness to fever of unknown origin: the challenge continues.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 1033-1041
- Fever of unknown origin in adults: evaluation of 144 cases in a nonuniversity hospital.Scand J Infect Dis. 2006; 38: 632-638
- Referral of patients with fever of unknown origin to an expertise center has high diagnostic and therapeutic value.QJM. 2017; 110: 793-801
- Normal body temperature: a systematic review.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: ofz032
- Fever of unknown origin.Clin Med (Lond). 2015; 15: 280-284
- Pyrexia of unknown origin in the 1990s: time to redefine.Br J Hosp Med. 1996; 56: 21-24
- Pyrexia of unknown origin: changing epidemiology.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 1997; 10: 134-138
- Acute fevers of unknown origin. A plea for restraint.Arch Intern Med. 1993; 153: 2525-2526
- Fever of unknown origin or fever of too many origins?.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 197-199
- Fever of unknown origin (FUO): which are the factors influencing the final diagnosis? A 2005–2015 systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 653
- Imaging a fever-redefining the role of 2-deoxy-2-[18F] fluoro-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography in fever of unknown origin investigations.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 1279-1286
- Diagnosis and empirical treatment of fever of unknown origin (FUO) in adult neutropenic patients: guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO).Ann Hematol. 2017; 96: 1775-1792
- Clinical practice guideline for the use of antimicrobial agents in neutropenic patients with cancer: 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: e56-e93
- Fever of unknown origin in solid organ transplant recipients.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2007; 21: 1033-1054
- Fever and fever of unknown origin: review, recent advances, and lingering dogma.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020; 7: ofaa132
- The Delphi technique: making sense of consensus.Pract Assess Res Eval. 2007; 12: 1-9
- Progress report: next-generation sequencing (NGS), multiplex polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and broad-range molecular assays as diagnostic tools for fever of unknown origin (FUO) investigations in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; ([online ahead of print]) (Feb 19ciab155)
- Diagnosis of febrile illnesses in returned travelers using PC software GIDEON.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2005; 3: 157-160
- Evaluation of the GIDEON expert computer program for the diagnosis of imported febrile illnesses.Med Decis Making. 2008; 28: 435-442
- A comprehensive evidence-based approach to fever of unknown origin.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 545-551
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and participated in the development of this manuscript and meet the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors authorship requirements.