Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2017. 2018. https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/59199, accessed 8/7/2019.
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428
- Relationship between early physician follow-up and 30-day readmission among Medicare beneficiaries hospitalized for heart failure.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1716-1722
- Protocol-driven allied health post-discharge transition clinic to reduce hospital readmissions in heart failure.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e002296
- Transitional care interventions to prevent readmissions for persons with heart failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 774-784
- Effect of nurse-implemented transitional care for Chinese individuals with chronic heart failure in Hong Kong: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 1583-1593
- Effects of a transitional care practice for a vulnerable population: a pragmatic, randomized comparative effectiveness trial.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 1758-1765
- Impact of transitional care services for chronically ill older patients: a systematic evidence review.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 1597-1608
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2018 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2018; 137: e67-e492
- Continuity of care: the transitional care model.Online J Issues Nurs. 2015; 20: 1
- Preventability and causes of readmissions in a national cohort of general medicine patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 484-493
- Falling through the cracks: challenges and opportunities for improving transitional care for persons with continuous complex care needs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 549-555
- Preventing the preventable: reducing rehospitalizations through coordinated, patient-centered discharge processes.Prof Case Manag. 2009; 14: 135-140
- Post-hospital syndrome–an acquired, transient condition of generalized risk.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 100-102
- Transitional care to reduce cardiac readmissions: 5-year results from the BRIDGE Clinic.J Fam Med Dis Prev. 2017; 3https://doi.org/10.23937/2469-5793/1510062
- A transitional care model for patients with acute coronary syndrome.Am J Accountable Care. 2014; 2 (Available at:) (Accessed August 7, 2019)
- Validation of a combined comorbidity index.J Clin Epidemiol. 1994; 47: 1245-1251
- Evaluation of a transitional care program after hospitalization for heart failure in an integrated health care system.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2027410
- Implementation and impact analysis of a transitional care pathway for patients presenting to the emergency department with cardiac-related complaints.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 672
- Effect of patient-centered transitional care services on clinical outcomes in patients hospitalized for heart failure: The PACT-HF Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA. 2019; 321: 753-761
- Nurse-led heart failure clinics improve survival and self-care behaviour in patients with heart failure: results from a prospective, randomised trial.Eur Heart J. 2003; 24: 1014-1023
- Feasibility of a nurse-monitored, outpatient-care programme for elderly patients with moderate-to-severe, chronic heart failure.Eur Heart J. 1998; 19: 1254-1260
- Rehospitalization for heart failure: predict or prevent?.Circulation. 2012; 126: 501-506
- Effect of an intensive outpatient program to augment primary care for high-need veterans affairs patients: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 166-175
- Trajectories of risk for specific readmission diagnoses after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0160492
- Components of comprehensive and effective transitional care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 1119-1125
Funding: George Cholack is supported by grant number 5TL1R002242 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) , which is awarded to Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA. This research received no other specific grant funding from any agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Conflicts of Interest: EKR reports consulting services to Janssen and serving a member of the Board of Directors for Anticoagulation Forum. JG, RK, DF, DM, KE, MR, SB report none.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.