Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global, regional, and national burden of migraine and tension-type headache, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 954-976
- The prevalence and impact of migraine and severe headache in the United States: figures and trends from government health studies.Headache. 2018; 58: 496-505
- Preventive migraine treatment.Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2015; 21: 973-989
- A controlled trial of erenumab for episodic migraine.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2123-2132
- Effect of vitamin D on musculoskeletal pain and headache: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial among adult ethnic minorities in Norway.Pain. 2014; 155: 2591-2598
- Simvastatin and vitamin D for migraine prevention: a randomized, controlled trial.Ann Neurol. 2015; 78: 970-981
- Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on the frequency, severity, and duration of migraine attacks: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Nutr Neurosci. 2018; 21: 614-623
- Vitamin D supplements and prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 33-44
- Marine n-3 fatty acids and prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 23-32
- The VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL (VITAL): rationale and design of a large randomized controlled trial of vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acid supplements for the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease.Contemp Clin Trials. 2012; 33: 159-171
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS) The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition.Cephalalgia. 2018; 38: 1-211
- The risks and rewards of covariate adjustment in randomized trials: an assessment of 12 outcomes from 8 studies.Trials. 2014; 15: 139
- The course of frequent episodic migraine in a large headache clinic population: a 12-year retrospective follow-up study.Headache. 2009; 49: 1144-1152
Funding: PMR was supported by K01 HL128791. VITAL was supported by grants U01 CA138962 and R01 CA138962, which included support from the National Cancer Institute, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, and the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Pharmavite donated vitamin D and Pronova BioPharma and BASF donated fish oil (Omacor); the companies also donated matching placebos and packaging in the form of calendar packs. Quest Diagnostics measured the plasma n−3 index at no cost to the trial. None of the donating companies had any role in the trial design or conduct, the data collection or analysis, or the manuscript preparation or review.
Conflict of Interest: TK contributed to an advisory board of CoLucid and a research project funded by Amgen, for which the Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin received an unrestricted compensation and received honoraria from Lilly, Newsenselab, and Total for providing methodological advice, from Novartis and from Daiichi Sankyo for providing a lecture on neuroepidemiology and research methods, and from the BMJ for editorial services. PMR, JEB, NRC, JEM report none.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.