Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Lucier G, Allshouse JE, Lin B-H. Factors affecting US mushroom consumption. USDA Economic Research Service, VGS 295-01, March 2003. Available at: https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/outlooks/39489/30836_vgs29501_002.pdf?v=4147.3. Accessed December 21, 2020.
- Contents of vitamins, mineral elements, and some phenolic compounds in cultivated mushrooms.J Agric Food Chem. 2001; 49: 2343-2348
- Methanol extract of the oyster mushroom, Pleurotus florida, inhibits inflammation and platelet aggregation.Phytother Res. 2004; 18: 43-46
- Hypocholesterolemic and antiatherogenic effect of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) in rabbits.Nahrung. 1999; 43: 339-342
- Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of four edible mushrooms from the Central Anatolia, Eskisehir - Turkey: Lactarius deterrimus, Suillus collitinus, Boletus edulis, Xerocomus chrysenteron.Bioresour Technol. 2008; 99: 6651-6655
- Mushroom consumption, biomarkers, and risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study of US women and men.Am J Clin Nutr. 2019; 110: 666-674
- Mushroom and dietary selenium intakes in relation to fasting glucose levels in a free-living Italian adult population: the Moli-sani Project.Diabetes Metab. 2014; 40: 34-42
Gao Y, Chen G, Dai X, Ye J, Zhou S. A phase I/II study of Lingzhi mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (W. Curt.: Fr.) Lloyd (Aphyllophoromycetideae) extract in patients with coronary heart disease. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2004;6(4):33-40.
- A double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial of Ganoderma lucidum for the treatment of cardiovascular risk factors of metabolic syndrome.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 29540
- Study of potential cardioprotective effects of Ganoderma lucidum (Lingzhi): results of a controlled human intervention trial.Br J Nutr. 2012; 107: 1017-1027
- Oyster mushroom reduced blood glucose and cholesterol in diabetic subjects.Mymensingh Med J. 2007; 16: 94-99
- Lipid lowering effects of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) in humans.J Funct Food. 2011; 3: 17-24
- Medicinal uses of mushrooms in Nigeria: towards full and sustainable exploitation.Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011; 8: 267-274
- Plasma and hepatic cholesterol levels and fecal neutral sterol excretion are altered in hamsters fed straw mushroom diets.J Nutr. 1998; 128: 1512-1516
- Hepatic LDL receptor mRNA in rats is increased by dietary mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) fiber and sugar beet fiber.J Nutr. 2000; 130: 2151-2156
- Role of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus florida) as hypocholesterolemic/antiatherogenic agent.Indian J Exp Biol. 1997; 35: 1070-1075
- Fruiting bodies of selected edible mushrooms as a potential source of lovastatin.Eur Food Res Technol. 2020; 246: 713-722
- Effect of shiitake (Lentinus edodes) and maitake (Grifola frondosa) mushrooms on blood pressure and plasma lipids of spontaneously hypertensive rats.J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987; 33: 341-346
- Dietary effect of Ganoderma lucidum mushroom on blood pressure and lipid levels in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR).J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1988; 34: 433-438
- Antihypertensive effect of Pleurotus nebrodensis in spontaneously hypertensive rats.J Oleo Sci. 2008; 57: 675-681
- Antihypertensive and metabolic effects of whole Maitake mushroom powder and its fractions in two rat strains.Mol Cell Biochem. 2002; 237: 129-136
Conflicts of Interest: CK reports being a member of the American College of Cardiology Solution Set Oversight Committee and The ACCF/AHA Task Force on Performance Measures, being on the Lancet Digital Health (Advisory Board), the European Heart Journal Digital Health (Editorial board), and the Journal of the American Heart Association (Editorial board); and serving the Journal of Scientific Innovation in Medicine (Associate Editor). SSV reports receiving research support: Department of Veterans Affairs, World Heart Federation, Tahir and Jooma Family Honorarium: American College of Cardiology (Associate Editor for Innovations, acc.org). AI, JH, ZW, SEF, DB, HJ, WHWT report none.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.