Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Coffee Association (NCA). NCA national coffee data trends 2019. Available at: https://nationalcoffee.blog/2019/03/09/national-coffee-drinking-trends-2019/. Accessed December 10, 2019.
- Coffee drinking and mortality in 10 European countries: a multinational cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 236-247
- Effects of coffee consumption on fasting blood glucose and insulin concentrations: randomized controlled trials in healthy volunteers.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2990-2992
- Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among middle-aged Finnish men and women.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1213-1219
- Identity of the cholesterol-raising factor from boiled coffee and its effects on liver function enzymes.J Lipid Res. 1994; 35: 721-733
- The cholesterol-raising factor from coffee beans.Ann Rev Nutr. 1997; 17: 305-324
- C-reactive protein concentration and risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and mortality: an individual participant meta-analysis.Lancet. 2010; 375: 132-140
- Inflammatory markers and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 166-175
- The hypercholesterolaemic factor in boiled coffee is retained by a paper filter.J Intern Med. 1991; 230: 293-297
- Boiled coffee increases serum low density lipoprotein concentration.Metabolism. 1987; 36: 1027-1030
- The effect on serum cholesterol levels of coffee brewed by filtering or boiling.N Engl J Med. 1989; 321: 1432-1437
- Instant coffee and cholesterol: a randomised controlled trial.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1995; 49: 779-784
- Paper-filtered coffee increases cholesterol and inflammation biomarkers independent of roasting degree: a clinical trial.Nutrition. 2013; 29: 977-981
- The effect of filtered-coffee consumption on plasma lipid levels. Results of a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 1992; 267: 811-815
- Cholesterol-raising factor from boiled coffee does not pass a paper filter.Arterioscler Thromb. 1991; 11: 586-593
- Consumption of French-press coffee raises cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity levels before LDL cholesterol in normolipidaemic subjects.J Intern Med. 2000; 248: 211-216
- Comparison of effect of cafetiere and filtered coffee on serum concentrations of liver aminotransferases and lipids: six month randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 1996; 313: 1362-1366
- Cardiometabolic effects of two coffee blends differing in content for major constituents in overweight adults: a randomized controlled trial.Eur J Nutr. 2015; 54: 845-854
- Coffee consumption and serum lipids: a randomized, crossover clinical trial.Am J Med. 1990; 88: 349-356
- Effects of coffee on serum cholesterol and lipoproteins: the Italian brewing method. Italian Group for the Study of Atherosclerosis and Dismetabolic Diseases, Rome II Center.Eur J Epidemiol. 1995; 11: 75-78
- Coffee and oxidative stress: a human intervention study.Eur J Nutr. 2018; 57: 533-544
- Effect of decaffeinated versus regular coffee on serum lipoproteins. A 12-week double-blind trial.Am J Epidemiol. 1990; 132: 33-40
- Effects of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee on biological risk factors for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 93
- Effects of two kinds of decaffeinated coffee on serum lipid profiles in healthy young adults.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1994; 48: 172-179
- Abstention from filtered coffee reduces the concentrations of plasma homocysteine and serum cholesterol–a randomized controlled trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 74: 302-307
- Coffee and cholesterol: is it all in the brewing? The Tromsø Study.BMJ. 1988; 297: 1103-1104
- Coffee and serum cholesterol.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984; 288: 1960
- The Tromsø heart study: coffee consumption and serum lipid concentrations in men with hypercholesterolaemia: a randomised intervention study.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1985; 290: 893-895
- Disruption of adiponectin causes insulin resistance and neointimal formation.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 25863-25866
- Effect of adiponectin on murine colitis induced by dextran sulfate sodium.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 853-861
- Adiponectin and coronary artery disease risk: a bi- directional Mendelian randomization study.Int J Cardiol. 2018; 268: 222-226
Funding: The Harvey Picker Fellowship in Evidence-Based Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript. HLD: Conceptualization, data curation, formal analysis, investigation, methodology, project administration, resources, supervision, validation, visualization, writing – original draft, review, and editing; GWS: Conceptualization, funding acquisition, methodology, project administration, resources, software, supervision, validation, writing – review and editing; LB: Data curation, methodology; PAB: Methodology, search strategies; KJM: Conceptualization, methodology; writing – review and editing.