- Magnitude, temporal trends, and projections of the global prevalence of blindness and distance and near vision impairment: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2017; 5: e888-e897
- Age-related eye diseases: an emerging challenge for public health professionals.Prev Chronic Dis. 2005; 2: A17
- Visual impairment and blindness in adults in the united states: demographic and geographic variations from 2015 to 2050.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 802-809
- Visual function, social position, and health and life chances: The UK Biobank Study.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 959-966
- The eye and the heart.E Heart J. 2013; 34: 1270-1278
- Retinal vascular signs: a window to the heart?.Rev Esp Cardiol. 2011; 64: 515-521
Stuart A. The heart and the eye: seeing the links. Available at: https://www.aao.org/eyenet/article/heart-eye-seeing-links. Accessed March 18, 2020.
- Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction: the American Heart Association's strategic Impact Goal through 2020 and beyond.Circulation. 2010; 121: 586-613
- A Systematic review of the prevalence and outcomes of ideal cardiovascular health in US and non-US populations.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 649-670
- National health and nutrition examination survey: plan and operations, 1999-2010.Vital Health Stat 1. 2013; : 1-37
- Annual update of the HHS poverty guidelines–HHS. Notice.Fed Regist. 1995; 60: 7772-7774
- Abdominal obesity, body mass index, and hypertension in US adults: NHANES 2007-2010.Am J Hypertens. 2012; 25: 1271-1278
Gunter EW, Lewis BG, Koncikowski SM. Laboratory procedures used for the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), 1988-1994. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes3/cdrom/nchs/manuals/labman.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2020.
- Retirement and healthy lifestyle: a National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data report.J Am Board Fam Med. 2017; 30: 213-219
- Association between Life's Simple 7 and noncardiovascular disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5e003954
- Trends in racial/ethnic and nativity disparities in cardiovascular health among adults without prevalent cardiovascular disease in the United States, 1988 to 2014.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 168: 541-549
- Ideal cardiovascular health associated with fatty liver: results from a multi-ethnic survey.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 284: 129-135
- Vision health disparities in the United States by race/ethnicity, education, and economic status: findings from two nationally representative surveys.Am J Ophthalmol. 2012; 154 (S53-S62.e51)
- Prevalence of diabetic retinopathy in the United States, 2005-2008.JAMA. 2010; 304: 649-656
- Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration in the US population.Arch Ophthalmol. 2011; 129: 75-80
- Cup-to-disc ratio asymmetry in U.S. adults: prevalence and association with glaucoma in the 2005-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 1229-1236
- Diabetes, triglyceride levels, and other risk factors for glaucoma in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2008.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016; 57: 2152-2157
- The association between cigarette smoking and ocular diseases.Hong Kong Med J. 2000; 6: 195-202
- Obesity and eye diseases.Surv Ophthalmol. 2007; 52: 180-195
- Hypertensive eye disease: a review.Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017; 45: 45-53
- Concurrent healthy behavior adoption and diabetic retinopathy in the United States.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2: 591-594
- Oxidative stress and diabetic retinopathy.Exp Diabetes Res. 2007; 2007: 43603
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.