A 28-year-old Chinese man presented to the Emergency Department (ED) with acute onset of abdominal distension, generalized abdominal pain, and repeated vomiting. There was no fever, diarrhea, or gastrointestinal bleeding. He reported chronic constipation requiring ED attendance 5 years prior due to abdominal distension and nausea, but his bowel habits had not changed recently.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Megacolon as the presenting feature in pheochromocytoma.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 3968-3972
- A comprehensive review on MEN2B.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2018; 25: T29-T39
- Constipation with megacolon in a 36-year-old man: a rare presentation of MEN2B from Sri Lanka.BMJ Case Rep. 2019; 12: 1-4
- Characteristics of chronic megacolon among patients diagnosed with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B.United European Gastroenterol J. 2016; 4: 449-454
- Looking beyond the thyroid: advances in the understanding of pheochromocytoma and hyperparathyroidism phenotypes in MEN2 and of non-MEN2 familial forms.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2018; 25: T15-T28
- Preoperative alpha-blockade in phaeochromocytoma and paraganglioma: is it always necessary?.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2017; 86: 309-314
- Pheochromocytoma without hypertension.J Intern Med. 1994; 235: 373-374
- Normotensive incidentally discovered pheochromocytomas display specific biochemical, cellular, and molecular characteristics.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 4346-4354
- Advances in the management of MEN2: From improved surgical and medical treatment to novel kinase inhibitors.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2018; 25: T1-T13
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma beyond surgery: Advances, challenges, and perspectives.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2019; 26: R499-R518
Published online: April 09, 2020Thomas J. Marrie, MD, Section Editor
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript, approved the final version for publication, and took responsibility for its accuracy and integrity.
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.