Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Inflammation, aspirin, and the risk of cardiovascular disease in apparently healthy men.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 973-979
- Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease application to clinical and public health practice a statement for healthcare professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2003; 107: 499-511
- Interrelationships of periodontal disease, systemic inflammation, and cardiovascular disease.Ann Dentist Oral Disord. 2018; 2: 108-110
- Statistical association and causation: contributions of different types of evidence.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1134-1136
- The need for large-scale randomized evidence without undue emphasis on small trials, meta-analyses, or subgroup analyses.JAMA. 2009; 302: 2361-2362
- A randomized trial of plaque identifying toothpaste on reduction of dental plaque and inflammation.Am J Med. 2017; 130: 746-749
- Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C- reactive protein.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 2195-2207
- Anti-inflammatory therapy with canakinumab for atherosclerotic disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1119-1131
Funding: This investigator initiated research grant was funded by the Marshfield Clinic Research Institute and the University of Wisconsin Institute for Clinical and Translational Research , which is supported by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under award number UL1TR002373 . The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. The toothpaste and matching placebo were provided by TJA Health, LLC (Joliet, Ill.). Neither the funding source nor the distributor of the toothpaste had any role in the design, conduct, analysis, interpretation, or preparation of the manuscript. Nor did they have a role in the decision where to submit.
Conflict of Interest: AA reports that he receives funds from Delta Dental of Wisconsin Foundation for developing and designing public health tools in dentistry, and royalties for authorship and editorship of 2 textbooks. AA does not own any common or preferred stock in any pharmaceutical or medical device company. IG, SH, and MCT report no disclosures. KK reports that he serves as an independent scientist as a member of data monitoring committees for Astellas, AstraZeneca, Actelion, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, GlaxoSmithKline, Idorsia, Merck, and Sarepta. KK holds no stock in any biopharmaceutical or medical device company. DLD reports that that he serves as an independent scientist in an advisory role to the National Institutes of Health, the US Food and Drug Administration, and the pharmaceutical and medical device industry on the design, monitoring, and analysis of trials; on data monitoring committees for Duke Clinical Research Institute, Population Health Research Institute at University of Hamilton, Actelion, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Medtronic, Boston Scientific, GlaxoSmithKline, Mesoblast, LivaNova, DalCor, and Merck; and to Frontier Science, Intercept, Sanofi, and D L DeMets Consulting. DLD holds no stock in any pharmaceutical or device company. CHH reports that he serves as an independent scientist in an advisory role to investigators and sponsors as chair of data monitoring committees for Amgen, British Heart Foundation, Cadila, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, DalCor, and Regeneron, and to the US Food and Drug Administration, and UpToDate; receives royalties for authorship or editorship of 3 textbooks and as co-inventor on patents for inflammatory markers and cardiovascular disease that are held by Brigham and Women's Hospital; has an investment management relationship with the West-Bacon Group within SunTrust Investment Services, which has discretionary investment authority; and does not own any common or preferred stock in any pharmaceutical or medical device company.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.