Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Atrial fibrillation begets heart failure and vice versa: temporal associations and differences in preserved versus reduced ejection fraction.Circulation. 2016; 133: 484-492
- Assessment of endothelial (dys)function in atrial fibrillation.Ann Med. 2009; 41: 576-590
- Inflammation in atrial fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 2263-2270
- Simple risk model predicts incidence of atrial fibrillation in a racially and geographically diverse population: the CHARGE-AF consortium.J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2e000102
- Development of a risk score for atrial fibrillation (Framingham Heart Study): a community-based cohort study.Lancet. 2009; 373: 739-745
- Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study.J Urol. 1994; 151: 54-61
- The association of erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease: a systematic critical review.Am J Mens Health. 2017; 11: 552-563
- Erectile dysfunction and coronary artery disease prediction: evidence-based guidance and consensus.Int J Clin Pract. 2010; 64: 848-857
- Atherosclerosis is critical in the pathogenesis of erectile dysfunction.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 203: 367-368
- Unfavourable endothelial and inflammatory state in erectile dysfunction patients with or without coronary artery disease.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 2640-2648
- The relationship between erectile dysfunction and paroxysmal lone atrial fibrillation.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2016; 46: 245-251
- Prevalence of erectile dysfunction in atrial fibrillation patients: a cross-sectional, epidemiological study.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2016; 39: 28-35
- Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis: objectives and design.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 871-881
- A new surrogate variable for erectile dysfunction status in the Massachusetts male aging study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 71-78
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Right ventricular structure is associated with the risk of heart failure and cardiovascular death: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)–right ventricle study.Circulation. 2012; 126: 1681-1688
- Association of electrocardiographic and imaging surrogates of left ventricular hypertrophy with incident atrial fibrillation: MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2007-2013
- Pericardial fat volume and incident atrial fibrillation in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis and Jackson Heart Study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2017; 25: 1115-1121
- The QT interval is associated with incident cardiovascular events: the MESA study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: 2111-2119
- Electrocardiographic predictors of heart failure with reduced versus preserved ejection fraction: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6
- Erectile dysfunction as an independent predictor of future cardiovascular events.Circulation. 2018; 138: 540-542
- Atrial fibrillation is associated with increased risk of erectile dysfunction: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 190: 106-110
- Subclinical vascular disease and subsequent erectile dysfunction: the Multiethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Clin Cardiol. 2016; 39: 291-298
- Vascular erectile dysfunction and subclinical cardiovascular disease.Curr Sex Health Rep. 2017; 9: 305-312
- Deficiency of testosterone associates with the substrate of atrial fibrillation in the rat model.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2009; 20: 1055-1060
- Association of sex hormones, aging, and atrial fibrillation in men: the Framingham Heart Study.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2014; 7: 307-312
- Low testosterone levels are predictive for incident atrial fibrillation and ischaemic stroke in men, but protective in women - results from the FINRISK study.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2018; 25: 1133-1139
- Plasma total testosterone and risk of incident atrial fibrillation: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Maturitas. 2019; 125: 5-10
- Prevalence and severity of erectile dysfunction in 50 to 75-year-old Finnish men.J Urol. 2003; 170: 2342-2344
- Prevalence and risk factors for erectile dysfunction in the US.Am J Med. 2007; 120: 151-157
Funding: The MESA cohort study is funded by contracts HHSN268201500003I, N01-HC-95159, N01-HC-95160, N01-HC-95161, N01-HC-95162, N01-HC-95163, N01-HC-95164, N01-HC-95165, N01-HC-95166, N01-HC-95167, N01-HC-95168 and N01-HC-95169 and by grant HL127659 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, and by grants UL1-TR-000040, UL1-TR-001079, and UL1-TR-001420 from National Center for Advancing Translational Science. YT was supported by American Heart Association Strategically Focused Research Network (SFRN), 18SFRN34110170. JDB was supported by the National Institutes of Health / National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Cardiovascular Epidemiology training grant T32HL069771.
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: YT performed statistical analysis, interpreted the data, and wrote the paper; JDB provided statistical support and conceptual advice; NBA gave critical comments on interpretation of the data and statistical advice; SMIU gave critical comments on the manuscript; DIF also made critical comments on the manuscript; EDM provided critical comments on the interpretation of the data and conceptual advice; SRH gave critical comments on the statistical analysis, interpretation, and the discussion; PG entirely edited the manuscript, and approved the manuscript. All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.