Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- The epidemic of the 20(th) century: coronary heart disease.Am J Med. 2014; 127: 807-812
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the american heart association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-e528
- Association between dietary factors and mortality from heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes in the United States.JAMA. 2017; 317: 912-924
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Overweight & obesity statistics. August 2017. Available at:https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity. Accessed July 13, 2019.
- 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APHA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines.Hypertension. 2018; 71: 1269-1324
- Effects of vegetarian diets on blood lipids: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e002408
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of changes in body weight in clinical trials of vegetarian diets.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 954-969
- Vegetarian diets and blood pressure: a meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 577-587
- Vegetarian diets and glycemic control in diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Cardiovasc Diagn Ther. 2014; 4: 373-382
- Intensive lifestyle changes for reversal of coronary heart disease.JAMA. 1998; 280: 2001-2007
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the dietary approaches to stop hypertension (dash) diet. DASH-sodium collaborative research group.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- A provegetarian food pattern and reduction in total mortality in the prevencion con dieta mediterranea (PREDIMED) study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 320s-328s
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a mediterranean diet supplemented with extra-virgin olive oil or nuts.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: e34
- 2013 AHA/ACC guideline on lifestyle management to reduce cardiovascular risk.Circulation. 2014; 129: S76-S99
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th ed.December 2015. Available at: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/. Accessed July 22, 2019.
- 2019 ACC/AHA guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease [e-pub ahead of print].Circulation. 2019 Mar 17; (CIR.0000000000000678)
- The state of US health, 1990-2016: burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors among US states.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1444-1472
- Successes and failures of the teachable moment: smoking cessation in cancer patients.Cancer. 2006; 106: 17-27
- Smoking cessation in the hospitalized patient using the transtheoretical model of behavior change.Heart Lung. 2001; 30: 148-158
- Smoking cessation after acute myocardial infarction: effects of a nurse-managed intervention.Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113: 118-123
- When an event sparks behavior change: an introduction to the sentinel event method of dynamic model building and its application to emergency medicine.Acad Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 329-335
- Stability and change of lifestyle profiles in cardiovascular patients after their first acute coronary event.PLoS One. 2017; 12 (e0183905-e0183905)
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Hospital readmissions reduction program (HRRP). July 2019. Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Value-Based-Programs/HRRP/Hospital-Readmission-Reduction-Program.html. Accessed July 16, 2019.
Medicare.gov. Hospital Compare. 30-day unplanned readmission and death measures. Available at: https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/Data/30-day-measures.html. Accessed July 13, 2019.
- Dietary patterns and incident heart failure in U.S. adults without known coronary disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 2036-2045
FoodService Director. 2012 hospital census report. July 2012. Available at: https://www.foodservicedirector.com/operations/2012-hospital-census-report. Accessed July 22, 2019.
- Use of nutrition standards to improve nutritional quality of hospital patient meals: findings from New York City's healthy hospital food initiative.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1847-1854
- The ethics of hospital cafeteria food.Virtual Mentor. 2013; 15: 299-305
- Consumers' perceptions of hospital food and dietary services.J Am Diet Assoc. 1990; 90: 1711-1715
- Consumer nutrition environments of hospitals: an exploratory analysis using the hospital nutrition environment scan for cafeterias, vending machines, and gift shops, 2012.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E110
- Data of unhealthy food availability in hospitals.Data Brief. 2018; 21: 1738-1744
- 2012 Hospital Accreditation Standards.Joint Commission Resources, Inc., Oak Brook, IL2012
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Adult nutrition care manual. Available at: http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed June 16, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Diabetes and carbohydrates. January 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/eat-well/diabetes-and-carbohydrates.html. Accessed July 13, 2019.
- Management of ascites in cirrhosis.Clin Liver Dis. 2005; 9 (viii): 715-732
Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. HTN: sodium. Available at: https://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?menu=5285&cat=5583. Accessed July 13, 2019.
- NCI dietary guidelines: rationale.Am J Clin Nutr. 1988; 48: 888-895
- An evaluation of renal inpatient meals against renal nutrition group standards.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2006; 19: 369-374
- Evaluation of sodium levels in hospital patient menus.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1261-1262
Partnership for a Healthier America. Hospital healthier food initiative. Available at:https://www.ahealthieramerica.org/articles/hospital-healthier-food-initiative-4. Accessed July 13, 2019.
Americal Medical Association. Healthy food options in hospitals H-150.949. 2018. Available at: https://policysearch.ama-assn.org/policyfinder/detail/hospital%20food%20?uri=%2FAMADoc%2FHOD.xml-0-627.xml. Accessed July 13, 2019.
Conflict of Interest: MA has 5% of her time protected through a Gatorade-funded education grant. NDB is an Adjunct Professor of Medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine. He serves without compensation as president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and Barnard Medical Center in Washington, DC, nonprofit organizations providing educational, research, and medical services related to nutrition. He writes books and articles and gives lectures related to nutrition and health, and has received royalties and honoraria from these sources. RJO consulted for Better Therapeutics and Pinnacle Foods. He received a research grant from the Purjes Foundation. AMF does nonpromotional speaking for Boehringer Ingelheim. MM serves on the advisory board for Nutrinic Inc, and as a faculty consultant to Sustainable Diet Inc. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy of the Department of Army/Navy/Air Force, Department of Defense, or the US Government.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.