Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global public health burden of heart failure.Card Fail Rev. 2017; 3: 7-11https://doi.org/10.15420/cfr.2016:25:2
- The current cost of heart failure to the National Health Service in the UK.Eur J Heart Fail. 2002; 4: 361-371https://doi.org/10.1016/S1388-9842(01)00198-2
- Trends in 24-h urinary sodium excretion in the United States, 1957–2003: a systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1172-1180
- 2013ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines.Circulation. 2013; 128: 1810-1852
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Royal College of Physicians. Chronic Heart Failure: National clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and management in primary and secondary care. Available at:https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng106/resources/chronic-heart-failure-in-adults-diagnosis-and-management-pdf-66141541311685. Accessed May 5, 2019.
- Heart failure guidelines for India: Update 2017.J Pract Cardiovasc Sci. 2017; 3: 133-138
- ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC.Eur J Heart Fail. 2012; 14: 803-869
Ezekowitz JA, O'Meara E, McDonald MA, et al. 2017 comprehensive update of the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines for the Management of Heart Failure. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1342-1433.
- National Heart Foundation of Australia and Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Guidelines for the Prevention, Detection, and Management of Heart Failure in Australia 2018.Heart Lung Circ. 2018; 27: 1123-1208
- HFSA 2010 Comprehensive Heart Failure Practice Guideline.J Card Fail. 2010; 16: e1-e194
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Management of chronic heart failure. Behavioral modification. Updated 2016. Available at: https://www.sign.ac.uk/assets/qrg147.pdf. Accessed May 5, 2019.
AmerAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Recommendations summary: heart failure (hf) sodium and fluid restriction and heart failure. Updated 2012. Available at: https://www.andeal.org/template.cfm?template=guide_summary&key=1438. Accessed May 5, 2019.
- Long-term effects of dietary sodium intake on cytokines and neurohormonal activation in patients with recently compensated congestive heart failure.J Card Fail. 2009; 15: 864-873
- Normal-sodium diet compared with low-sodium diet in compensated congestive heart failure: is sodium an old enemy or a new friend?.Clin Sci. 2008; 114: 221-230
- Medium term effects of different dosage of diuretic, sodium, and fluid administration on neurohormonal and clinical outcome in patients with recently compensated heart failure.Am J Cardiol. 2009; 103: 93-102
- The uncertainty of sodium restriction in heart failure.we can do better than this JACC Heart Fail. 2016; 4: 39-41https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2015.11.005
- Comparing sodium intake strategies in heart failure: rationaleand design of the Prevent Adverse Outcomes in Heart Failure by Limiting Sodium (PROHIBIT) Study.Circ Heart Fail. 2015; 8: 636-645
- Diet prevention and therapy for heart failure?.Circ Heart Fail. 2013; 6: 1109-1111
- Sodium restriction in heart failure: too much uncertainty—Do the trials.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1700-1701
- Body fluid homeostasis in congestive heart failure and cirrhosis with ascites.Am J Med. 1982; 72: 323-338
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- Dietary sodium intake in heart failure.Circulation. 2012; 126: 479-485
- Dietary sodium restriction: take it with a grain of salt.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 951-955https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2013.05.020
Intersalt: an international study of electrolyte excretion and blood pressure. Results for 24 hour urinary sodium and potassium excretion. BMJ. 1988;297(6644):319-328.
- Effect of modest salt reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Implications for public health.J Hum Hypertens. 2002; 16: 761-770
- Long term effects of dietary sodium reduction on cardiovascular disease outcomes: observational follow-up of the trials of hypertension prevention (TOHP).BMJ. 2007; 334: 885-888
- Urinary sodium excretion and cardiovascular mortality in Finland: a prospective study.Lancet. 2001; 357: 848-851
- Quality and adequacy of dietary intake in a southern urban heart failure population.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2013; 28: 119-128https://doi.org/10.1097/JCN.0b013e318242279e
- Nutrient intake in heart failure patients.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2008; 23: 357-363
- The Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial major outcomes in high-risk hypertensive patients randomized to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or calcium channel blocker vs diuretic: The Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT).JAMA. 2002; 288: 2981-2997
- Effects of a nutritional intervention on body composition, clinical status ,and quality of life in patients with heart failure.Nutrition. 2004; 20: 890-895
- The long-term effects of dietary sodium restriction on clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure: the SODIUM-HF (Study of Dietary Intervention Under 100mmol in Heart Failure): a pilot study.Am Heart J. 2015; 169: 274-281.e1
- Salt and fluid restriction is effective in patients with chronic heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2013; 15: 1304-1310
- Geriatric Out-of-Hospital Randomized Meal Trial in Heart Failure (GOURMET-HF) pilot randomized trial: primary results.J Card Fail. 2017; 23: 830
- The effect of dietary sodium restriction on neurohumoral activity and renal dopaminergic response in patients with heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2004; 6: 593-599
- Aggressive fluid and sodium restriction in acute decompensated heart failure: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1058-1064
- Diet with usual salt allowance in hospital treatment of congestive heart failure [in Portuguese].Arq Bras Cardiol. 1991; 57: 465-468
- Short-term effects of hypertonic saline solution in acute heart failure and long-term effects of a moderate sodium restriction in patients with compensated heart failure with New York Heart Association class III (Class C) (SMAC-HF Study).Am J Med Sci. 2011; 342: 27-37
- Effects of high-dose furosemide and small-volume hypertonic saline solution infusion in comparison with a high dose of furosemide as bolus in refractory congestive heart failure: long-term effects.Am Heart J. 2003; 145: 459-466
- Elevated plasma renin activity predicts adverse outcome in chronic heart failure, independently of pharmacologic therapy: data from the Valsartan Heart Failure Trial (Val-HeFT).J Card Fail. 2010; 16: 964-970
- The role of angiotensin in the cardiovascular and renal response to salt restriction.Kidney Int. 1974; 5: 348-355
- Atrial natriuretic factor in normal subjects and heart failure patients. Plasma levels and renal, hormonal, and hemodynamic responses to peptide infusion.J Clin Invest. 1986; 78: 1362-1374
- Intrarenal determinants of sodium retention in mild heart failure: effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition.Hypertension. 1997; 30: 168-176
- Bocchi EA. Is the low-sodium diet actually indicated for all patients with stable heart failure [in Portugese]?.Arq Bras Cardiol. 2010; 94: 92-101
- Estimated urinary sodium excretion and risk of heart failure in men and women in the EPIC-Norfolk study.Eur J Heart Fail. 2014; 16: 394-402
- Compared with usual sodium intake, low- and excessive-sodium diets are associated with increased mortality: a meta-analysis.Am J Hypertens. 2014; 27: 1129-1137
- Three gram sodium intake is associated with longer event-free survival only in patients with advanced heart failure.J Card Fail. 2011; 17: 325-330
- Abnormalities of sodium handling and of cardiovascular adaptations during high salt diet in patients with mild heart failure.Circulation. 1993; 88: 1620-1627
- Effect of longer-term modest salt reduction on blood pressure.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; CD004937
- The Trials of Hypertension Prevention, phase II. The Trials of Hypertension Prevention Collaborative Research Group.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 657-667
Conflicts of Interest: MSK reports none. DWJ has received National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding. JB has received research support from the NIH, PCORI, and the European Union. He serves as a consultant for Abbott, Adrenomed, Amgen, Array, Astra Zeneca, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, BMS, CVRx, Innolife, Janssen, LinaNova, Luitpold, Medtronic, Merck, Novartis, NovoNordisk, Relypsa, Roche, Sanofi, V-Wave Limited, and Vifor.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.