Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chronic atrial fibrillation: Incidence, prevalence, and prediction of stroke using the Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age >75, Diabetes mellitus, and prior Stroke or transient ischemic attack (CHADS2) risk stratification scheme.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 57-64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2008.03.010
- Stroke prevention with aspirin, warfarin and ximelagatran in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Thromb Res. 2006; 118: 321-333https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2005.08.007
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137: 263-272https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.09-1584
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2893-2962https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw210
- 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: e1-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2014.03.022
- Incident stroke and mortality associated with new-onset atrial fibrillation in patients hospitalized with severe sepsis.JAMA. 2011; 306: 2248-2254https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.1615
- Long-term outcomes following development of new-onset atrial fibrillation during sepsis.Chest. 2014; 146: 1187-1195https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-0003
- Independent predictors of major adverse cardiovascular events in emergency department patients who are hospitalised with a suspected infection: a retrospective cohort study.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e009598https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009598
- Clinical relevance of silent atrial fibrillation: prevalence, prognosis, quality of life, and management.J Interv Card Electrophysiol Int J Arrhythm Pacing. 2000; 4: 369-382
- Diagnostic packages can be assigned accurately in emergency departments. A multi-centre cohort study.Dan Med J. 2016; : 63
- The Danish National Patient Register.Scand J Public Health. 2011; 39: 30-33https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494811401482
Rosso A. Validation of healthcare databases: why to do it and how to do it.
- The Danish Civil Registration System.Scand J Public Health. 2011; 39: 22-25https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494810387965
- The Swedish personal identity number: possibilities and pitfalls in healthcare and medical research.Eur J Epidemiol. 2009; 24: 659-667https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-009-9350-y
- Data resource profile: The Danish National Prescription Registry.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46798-798fhttps://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw213
- The Swedish National Pharmacy Register.2007: 129https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-58603-774-1-345
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 676-682https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwq433
- Evaluation of risk stratification schemes for ischaemic stroke and bleeding in 182 678 patients with atrial fibrillation: the Swedish Atrial Fibrillation cohort study.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 1500-1510https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehr488
- Comparative thromboembolic risk in atrial fibrillation patients with and without a concurrent infection.Am Heart J. 2018; 204: 43-51https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2018.07.003
- Risk of stroke and transient ischaemic attack in patients with a diagnosis of resolved atrial fibrillation: retrospective cohort studies.BMJ. 2018; 361: k1717
- Association of Burden of atrial fibrillation with risk of ischemic stroke in adults with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: The KP-RHYTHM study.JAMA Cardiol. 2018; 3: 601-608https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2018.1176
- Incidence, predictors, and outcomes of new-onset atrial fibrillation in critically ill patients with sepsis. A cohort study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 205-211https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201603-0618OC
- How well do discharge diagnoses identify hospitalised patients with community-acquired infections?--a validation study.PLoS One. 2014; 9e92891https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0092891
- Validity of the diagnoses atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter in a Danish patient registry.Scand Cardiovasc J. 2012; 46: 149-153https://doi.org/10.3109/14017431.2012.673728
- Predictive value of stroke and transient ischemic attack discharge diagnoses in The Danish National Registry of Patients.J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 602-607
- Estimating the prevalence of atrial fibrillation in a general population using validated electronic health data.Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 5: 475-481https://doi.org/10.2147/CLEP.S53420
- Asymptomatic arrhythmias in patients with symptomatic paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia.Circulation. 1994; 89: 224-227
Funding: This study was funded by an independent grant from the Research Foundation of Odense University Hospital. The funding source had no role in the design of the study, data analysis, or interpretation of the results.
Conflicts of Interest: TGH, UE, JLF, MB and HKJ report none. AP reports participation in research projects funded by Alcon, Almirall, Astellas, Astra-Zeneca, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Novo Nordisk, Servier, and LEO Pharma. AB reports fees and research grants from Bayer and Boehringer Ingelheim. ATL was supported by an unrestricted grant to the University of Southern Denmark from Trygfonden.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.