Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in the United States, 1999 through 2002.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 705-714
- Rising mortality associated with hepatitis C virus in the United States, 2003-2013.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 1287-1288
- Estimating prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in the United States, 2013-2016.Hepatology. 2019; 69: 1020-1031
- Viral hepatitis surveillance: United States.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/statistics/2016surveillance/pdfs/2016HepSurveillanceRpt.pdfDate: 2016Date accessed: July 30, 2019
- Chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) disease burden and cost in the United States.Hepatology. 2013; 57: 2164-2170
- Direct and indirect economic burden of chronic liver disease in the United States.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 15: 759-766.e5
- Economic burden of hepatitis C infection.Clin Liver Dis. 2017; 21: 579-594
- American Gastroenterological Association Institute clinical practice update-expert review: care of patients who have achieved a sustained virologic response after antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis C infection.Gastroenterology. 2017; 152: 1578-1587
- Direct-acting antiviral sustained virologic response: Impact on mortality in patients without advanced liver disease.Hepatology. 2018; 68: 827-838
Yehia BR, Schranz AJ, Umscheid CA, Lo Re V 3rd. The treatment cascade for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in the United States: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2014;9(7):e101554.
- Hepatitis C virus testing of persons born during 1945-1965: recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 157: 817-822
AASLD/IDSA HCV Guidance Panel. Hepatitis C guidance: AASLDIDSA recommendations for testing, managing, and treating adults infected with hepatitis C virus. Hepatology. 2015;62(3):932-54.
- Hepatitis C testing increased among baby boomers following the 2012 change to CDC testing recommendations.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 2142-2150
- Hepatitis C virus screening trends: a 2016 update of the National Health Interview Survey.Cancer Epidemiol. 2019; 60: 112-120
- Hepatitis C virus screening trends: serial cross-sectional analysis of the National Health Interview survey population, 2013-2015.Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev. 2018; 27: 503-513
- Recent hepatitis C virus testing patterns among baby boomers.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: e31-e33
- Screening for hepatitis C virus infection in adults: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 101-108
- Assessing the burden of abnormal LFTs and the role of the electronic health record: a retrospective study.Am J Med Sci. 2018; 355: 537-543
- How are abnormal results for liver function tests dealt with in primary care?.Audit of yield and impact BMJ. 2001; 322: 276-278
- Evaluation of abnormal liver-enzyme results in asymptomatic patients.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1266-1271
- Associations of race with follow-up patterns after initial abnormal liver tests in primary care.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 1618-1620
- Diagnosis and monitoring of hepatic injury. I. Performance characteristics of laboratory tests.Clin Chem. 2000; 46: 2027-2049
Donnan PT, McLernon D, Dillon JF, et al. Development of a decision support tool for primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease: a record-linkage population cohort study and decision analysis (ALFIE). Health Technol Assess. 2009;13(25):iii-iv, ix-xi, 1-134.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.MMWR Recomm Rep. 1998; 47: 1-39
- Analysis of a hepatitis C screening programme for US veterans.Epidemiol Infect. 2006; 134: 249-257
- Comparison of hepatitis C virus testing strategies: birth cohort versus elevated alanine aminotransferase levels.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 233-241
- Follow-up of mild alanine aminotransferase elevation identifies hidden hepatitis C in primary care.Br J Gen Pract. 2012; 62: e212-e216
- Effectiveness of a risk screener in identifying hepatitis C virus in a primary care setting.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: e115-e121
- ACG clinical guideline: evaluation of abnormal liver chemistries.Am J Gastroenterol. 2017; 112: 18-35
- Cigarette smoking in persons living with hepatitis C: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 1999-2014.Am J Med. 2018; 131: 669-675
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- Recommendations for the identification of chronic hepatitis C virus infection among persons born during 1945-1965.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2012; 61: 1-32
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention initiatives to prevent hepatitis C virus infection: a selective update.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: S49-S53
Lilford RJ, Bentham L, Girling A, et al. Birmingham and Lambeth Liver Evaluation Testing Strategies (BALLETS): a prospective cohort study. Health Technol Assess. 2013;17(28):i-xiv, 1-307.
- Hepatitis C virus antibody positivity and predictors among previously undiagnosed adult primary care outpatients: cross-sectional analysis of a multisite retrospective cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 1145-1152
- Evolving epidemiology of hepatitis C virus in the United States.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: S3-S9
Funding: Andrew D. Schreiner is funded by a career development award (K23) from the National Institute of Health and National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIH/NIDDK), 1K23DK118200-01 (PI: Schreiner). This work is also supported by the South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute (SCTR) at the Medical University of South Carolina (SCTR grant number UL1 TR001450).
Conflict of Interest: The authors declare they do not have conflicts of interest.
Authorship: All authors made significant contributions to the completed manuscript.
These data were presented by ADS as an oral presentation titled “The Association of Abnormal Liver Tests with Hepatitis C Testing in Primary Care” at the Southern Society of Clinical Investigation – Southern Regional Meeting in New Orleans, La on February 23, 2019.