- •We evaluated the association between sexual activity and mortality among Israeli patients aged ≤65 years after first acute myocardial infarction.
- •The frequency of sexual activity was reported at the index hospitalization and after 5 and 10-13 years.
- •Abstinence from sexual activity was increasingly reported during successive interviews, whereas a > once per week frequency was decreasingly reported.
- •Lack of partner and non-cardiac medical problem were the most commonly reported reasons for sexual abstinence 10-13 years after infarction.
- •Over a 22-year follow-up, an independent association was shown between sexual activity and survival.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sexual activity and cardiovascular risk.Eur Heart J Suppl. 2002; 4: H13-H18
- Sexual activity and heart patients: a contemporary perspective.Can J Cardiol. 2016; 32: 410-420
- A study of sexuality and health among older adults in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 762-774
- Energy expenditure during sexual activity in young healthy couples.PLoS One. 2013; 8e79342
- Heart rate and blood pressure response in adult men and women during exercise and sexual activity.Am J Cardiol. 2007; 100: 1795-1801
- A prospective cohort study on the effect of sexual activity, libido and widowhood on mortality among the elderly people: 14-year follow-up of 2453 elderly Taiwanese.Int J Epidemiol. 2007; 36: 1136-1142
- Sexual function and mortality in older men: the Concord health and ageing in men project.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017; 72: 520-527
- Predictors of the longevity difference: a 25-year follow-up.Gerontologist. 1982; 22: 513-518
- Sex and death: are they related? Findings from the Caerphilly cohort study.BMJ. 1997; 315: 1641-1644
- Sexual activity and cardiovascular disease: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2012; 125: 1058-1072
- Association of episodic physical and sexual activity with triggering of acute cardiac events: systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1225-1233
- Sexual intercourse and risk of ischaemic stroke and coronary heart disease: the Caerphilly study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2002; 56: 99-102
- Is sex good for your health? A national study on partnered sexuality and cardiovascular risk among older men and women.J Health Soc Behavior. 2016; 57: 276-296
- Comparison of sexual activity of women and men after a first acute myocardial infarction.Am J Cardiol. 2000; 85: 1283-1287
- Sexual activity and function in the year after an acute myocardial infarction among younger women and men in the United States and Spain.JAMA Cardiol. 2016; 1: 754-764
- Sexual activity of women and men one year before a first acute myocardial infarction.Cardiology. 2002; 97: 127-132
- Long-term survival and recurrence after acute myocardial infarction in England, 2004 to 2010.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5: 532-540
- Trends in incidence, severity, and outcome of hospitalized myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2010; 121: 863-869
- Long-term trajectory of leisure time physical activity and survival after first myocardial infarction: a population-based cohort study.Eur J Epidemiol. 2011; 26: 109-116
- Smoking status and long-term survival after first acute myocardial infarction: A population-based cohort study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: 2382-2387
- Neighborhood socioeconomic context and long-term survival after myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2010; 121: 375-383
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Regression models and life-tables (with discussions).J Royal Stat Soc. 1972; 34: 187-220
- Time-dependent covariates in the Cox proportional-hazards regression model.Ann Rev Public Health. 1999; 20: 145-157
- Retrospective cohort mortality study of Roman Catholic priests.Prev Med. 1988; 17: 335-343
- Sexual intimacy in couples is associated with longer telomere length.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017; 81: 46-51
- Testosterone and cardiovascular disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 545-557
- A review of sexual initiating behavior by male and female cynomolgus monkeys and some species comparisons.Primates. 1988; 29: 375-393
- Gender differences in sexual attitudes and behaviors: A review of meta-analytic results and large datasets.J Sex Res. 2011; 48: 149-165
- Testosterone and sexual desire in healthy women and men.Arch Sex Behav. 2012; 41: 1471-1484
- Effect of erectile dysfunction on frequency of intercourse: a population based prevalence study in Finland.J Urol. 2000; 164: 367-370
- A systematic review of the association between erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease.Eur Urol. 2014; 65: 968-978
- Leisure time physical activity and mortality: a detailed pooled analysis of the dose-response relationship.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 959-967
- Effect of physical inactivity on major non-communicable diseases worldwide: an analysis of burden of disease and life expectancy.Lancet. 2012; 380: 219-229
- Sexual function in adults with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators/pacemaker recipients.in: Proietti R. Manzoni G.M. Pietrabissa G. Castelnuovo G. Psychological, Emotional, Social and Cognitive Aspects of Implantable Cardiac Devices. Springer, Cham, Switzerland2017: 101-111
- Measuring sexual behaviour: methodological challenges in survey research.Sex Transm Infect. 2001; 77: 84-92
- Effect of sexual function on health-related quality of life mediated by depressive symptoms in cardiac rehabilitation. Findings of the SPARK project in 493 patients.J Sex Med. 2010; 7: 2044-2055
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.