International Data Corporation (IDC). Worldwide wearables market ticks up 5.5% due to gains in emerging markets, says IDC. Available at: https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS44247418. Accessed May 28, 2019.
US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA selects participants for new digital health software precertification pilot program. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm577480.htm. Accessed May 28, 2019.
- Systematic review of the validity and reliability of consumer-wearable activity trackers.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: 159
- The validation of Fitbit Zip™ physical activity monitor as a measure of free-living physical activity.BMC Res Notes. 2014; 7: 952
- Using wearable devices and smartphones to track physical activity: initial activation, sustained use, and step counts across sociodemographic characteristics in a national sample.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 755-757
- Patient-centered activity monitoring in the self-management of chronic health conditions.BMC Med. 2015; 13: 77
- Trends in sedentary behavior among the US population, 2001-2016.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1587-1597
- Wearable devices as facilitators, not drivers, of health behavior change.JAMA. 2015; 313: 459-460
- Acceptability of Fitbit for physical activity tracking within clinical care among men with prostate cancer.AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2017; 2016: 1050-1059
- Can a free wearable activity tracker change behavior? The impact of trackers on adults in a physician-led wellness group.JMIR Res Protoc. 2016; 5e237
- Impact of newer self-monitoring technology and brief phone-based intervention on weight loss: a randomized pilot study.Obesity. 2016; 24: 1653-1659
- Wearable devices and mobile technologies for supporting behavioral weight loss among people with serious mental illness.Psychiatry Res. 2016; 244: 139-144
- Use of consumer wearable devices to promote physical activity: a review of health intervention studies.J Environ Health Sci. 2016; 2https://doi.org/10.15436/2378-6841
Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG; The PRISMA Group Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. BMJ. 2009;339:b2535. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2535.
- Effect of wearable technology combined with a lifestyle intervention on long-term weight loss: the IDEA randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1161-1171
- Effect of lifestyle modification using a smartphone application on obesity with obstructive sleep apnea: a short-term, randomized controlled study.Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol. 2018; 11: 192-198
- Effectiveness of activity trackers with and without incentives to increase physical activity (TRIPPA): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 983-995
- Activity monitor intervention to promote physical activity of physicians-in-training: randomized controlled trial.PLoS One. 2014; 9e100251
- Multifactorial intervention in diabetes care using real-time monitoring and tailored feedback in type 2 diabetes.Acta Diabetol. 2016; 53: 189-198
- eHealth interventions for the prevention and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: a systematic review with meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 376-392
- Cell phone intervention for you (CITY): a randomized, controlled trial of behavioral weight loss intervention for young adults using mobile technology.Obesity. 2015; 23: 2133-2141
- Technology- and phone-based weight loss intervention.pilot RCT in women at elevated breast cancer risk Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 714-721
- Do mobile phone applications improve glycemic control (HbA1c) in the self-management of diabetes?.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 2089-2095
- Perceived need to increase physical activity levels among adults at high risk of type 2 diabetes. A cross-sectional analysis within a community-based diabetes prevention project FIN-D2D.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 514
- Decision support and alerts of apps for self-management of blood glucose for type 2 diabetes.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1530-1532
Springbuk. Data from more than 8,000 employers finds that 35% use wearable technology in their wellness program. April 25, 2015. Available at: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170425005258/en/Data-8000-Employers-Finds-35-Wearable-Technology. Accessed May 28, 2019.
Aetna. Aetna announces Attain, a personalized well-being experience combining health history with the Apple Watch. January 29, 2019. Available at: https://news.aetna.com/news-releases/2019/01/aetna-announces-attain-a-personalized-well-being-experience-that-combines-health-history-with-apple-watch-information-to-empower-better-health/. Accessed May 28, 2019.
Funding: No Funding was received for this work.
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data of selected articles. AJ led the entire project to develop the idea, review full papers, and write the manuscript. BDC and CEC reviewed the articles and contributed to writing the paper. AGM contributed to developing ideas and writing the manuscript.