Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Vandvik PO, Lincoff AM, Gore JM, et al. Primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141(2 suppl):e637S-e668S.
- BMJ. 2002; 324: 71-86
- Aspirin use for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and colorectal cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 164: 836-845
Piepoli MF, Hoes AW, Agewall S, et al. 2016 European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: the Sixth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts) developed with the special contribution of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR). Eur Heart J. 2016;37(29):2315-2381.
Arnett DK, Blumenthal RS, Albert MA, et al. 2019 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: Executive Summary: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines [e-pub ahead of print]. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Mar 17. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2019.03.009.
- Randomised trial of prophylactic daily aspirin in British male doctors.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1988; 296: 313-316
- Final report on the aspirin component of the ongoing Physicians' Health Study.N Engl J Med. 1989; 321: 129-135
- ETDRS Investigators.JAMA. 1992; 268: 1292-1300
- Effects of intensive blood-pressure lowering and low-dose aspirin in patients with hypertension: principal results of the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) randomised trial.HOT Study Group Lancet. 1998; 351: 1755-1762
- Low-dose aspirin and vitamin E in people at cardiovascular risk: a randomised trial in general practice.Collaborative Group of the Primary Prevention Project Lancet. 2001; 357: 89-95
- A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in women.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1293-1304
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of atherosclerotic events in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2134-2141
- The prevention of progression of arterial disease and diabetes (POPADAD) trial: factorial randomised placebo controlled trial of aspirin and antioxidants in patients with diabetes and asymptomatic peripheral arterial disease.BMJ. 2008; a1840: 337
- Aspirin for prevention of cardiovascular events in a general population screened for a low ankle brachial index: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2010; 303: 841-848
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in Japanese patients 60 years or older with atherosclerotic risk factors: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2510-2520
Thrombosis prevention trial: randomised trial of low-intensity oral anticoagulation with warfarin and low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of ischaemic heart disease in men at increased risk. The Medical Research Council's General Practice Research Framework. Lancet. 1998;351(9098):233-241.
- Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events: a systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 164: 804-813
- Effect of aspirin on mortality in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 621-629
- Meta-analysis of multiple primary prevention trials of cardiovascular events using aspirin.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 107: 1796-1801
- Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1849-1860
- Aspirin and cancer.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 967-976
- Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia. West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1301-1307
- Primary prevention of acutecoronary events with lovastatin in men and women with average cholesterol levels: results of AFCAPS/TexCAPS. Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study.JAMA. 1998; 279: 1615-1622
- The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with statin therapy in people at low risk of vascular disease: meta-analysis of individual data from 27 randomised trials.Lancet. 2012; 380: 581-590
- Executive Summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
- Trends in statin use and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels among US adults: impact of the 2001 National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines.Ann Pharmacother. 2008; 42: 1208-1215
- Use of aspirin to reduce risk of initial vascular events in patients at moderate risk of cardiovascular disease (ARRIVE): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1036-1046
- Bowman L, Mafham M, et al. Effects of aspirin for primary prevention in persons with diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1529-1539
- Effect of aspirin on cardiovascular events and bleeding in the healthy elderly.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1509-1518
- Effect of aspirin on all-cause mortality in the healthy elderly.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1519-1528
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Syst Rev. 2015; 4
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5928
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Methods for Meta-Analysis in Medical Research. Chichester.Wiley, UK2000
- Aspirin in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: an update of the APTC meta-analysis.Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 24: 385-391
- AHA/ACCF secondary prevention and risk reduction therapy for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2011 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology Foundation.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2458-2473
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Citizen petition denial responsefrom FDA to Bayer Healthcare LLC. Available at: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FDA-1977-N-0018-0101. Accessed September 26, 2018.
- The heterogeneity statistic I(2) can be biased in small meta-analyses.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2015; 15: 35
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All listed authors have access to the data and substantially contributed to the conception and design, acquisition of data, and revising it critically for important intellectual content.