Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Machine learning and medicine: book review and commentary.Biomed Eng Online. 2018; 17: 17
- Machine learning in medicine.Circulation. 2015; 132: 1920-1930
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137: 263-272
- A novel clinical risk prediction model for sudden cardiac death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM risk-SCD).Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 2010-2020
- Novel screening tool for stroke using artificial neural network.Stroke. 2017; 48: 1678-1681
- Supervised learning methods in modeling of CD4+ T cell heterogeneity.BioData Min. 2015; 4: 27
- Predicting mortality of sepsis patients in a multi-site healthcare system using supervised machine learning.in: Int'l Conf. of Health Informatics and Medical Systems. 2018 (Available at:)Accessed February 5, 2019)
- Classification of short single lead electrocardiograms (ECGs) for atrial fibrillation detection using piecewise linear spline and XGBoost.Physiol Meas. 2018; 39104006https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6579/aadf0f
- Modeling new immunoregulatory therapeutics as antimicrobial alternatives for treating Clostridium difficile infection.Artif Intell Med. 2017; 78: 1-13
- Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.Circulation. 2011; 124: 540-543
- Spironolactone for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1383-1392
- A randomized double-blind trial of enalapril in older patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction: effects on exercise tolerance and arterial distensibility.Circ Heart Fail. 2010; 3: 477-485
- Pulmonary hypertension in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: a target of phosphodiesterase-5 inhibition in a 1-year study.Circulation. 2011; 124: 164-174
- Artificial intelligence in precision cardiovascular medicine.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 2657-2664
- Deep into the brain: artificial intelligence in stroke imaging.J Stroke. 2017; 19: 277-285
- Using recurrent neural network models for early detection of heart failure onset.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2017; 24: 361-370
- Advanced machine learning in action: identification of intracranial hemorrhage on computed tomography scans of the head with clinical work flow integration.npj Digit Med. 2018; 1: 9https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-017-0015-z
- Temporal progression in functional connectivity determines individual differences in working memory capacity.in: 2017 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJNN). IEEE, 2017: 2943-2949https://doi.org/10.1109/IJCNN.2017.7966220
- Identifying seizure onset zone from electrocorticographic recordings: A machine learning approach based on phase locking value.Seizure. 2017; 51: 35-42
- IBM Watson: how cognitive computing can be applied to big data challenges in life sciences research.Clin Ther. 2016; 38: 688-701
- Development of type 2 diabetes mellitus phenotyping framework using expert knowledge and machine learning approach.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2017; 11: 791-799
- Introduction to accelerated path to cures and precision medicine in inflammatory bowel disease.in: Bassaganya-Riera J Accelerated Path to Cures. Springer International, New York2018: 1-6
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare: past, present and future.Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2017; 2: 230-243
US Food and Drug Administration. FDA permits marketing of artificial intelligence algorithm for aiding providers in detecting wrist fractures [press release]. May 24, 2018. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm608833.htm. Accessed February 5, 2019.
- Pathologists meet their match in tumour-spotting algorithm.Nature. 2018; 561: 436-437
- Evaluating the diagnostic utility of applying a machine learning algorithm to diffusion tensor MRI measures in individuals with major depressive disorder.Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2017; 264: 1-9
- Novel screening tool for stroke using artificial neural network.J Stroke. 2017; 48: 1678-1681
- A deep learning architecture for image representation, visual interpretability and automated basal-cell carcinoma cancer detection.Med Image Comput Comput Interv. 2013; 16: 403-410
- Mammographic breast density assessment using deep learning: clinical implementation.Radiology. 2019; 290: 52-58
- Machine learning applications in cancer prognosis and prediction.Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2014; 15: 8-17
- Applications of machine learning in cancer prediction and prognosis.Cancer Inform. 2007; 11: 59-77
- Early and innovative interventions for severe sepsis and septic shock: taking advantage of a window of opportunity.CMAJ. 2005; 173: 1054-1065
- Introduction of the medical emergency team (MET) system: a cluster-randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2005; 365: 2091-2097
Samad MD, Ulloa A, Wehner GJ, et al. Predicting survival from large echocardiography and electronic health record datasets: optimization with machine learning [e-pub ahead of print]. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. doi:10.1016/j.jcmg.2018.04.026, accessed February 5, 2019.
- A deep neural network learning algorithm outperforms a conventional algorithm for emergency department electrocardiogram interpretation.J Electrocardiol. 2019; 52: 88-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelectrocard.2018.11.013
- Development and validation of a deep learning algorithm for detection of diabetic retinopathy in retinal fundus photographs.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2402-2410
- Reproducible pharmacogenomic profiling of cancer cell line panels.Nature. 2016; 533: 333-337
- Open source machine-learning algorithms for the prediction of optimal cancer drug therapies.PIoS One. 2017; 12: 1-14
- A community effort to assess and improve drug sensitivity prediction algorithms.Nat Biotechnol. 2014; 32: 1202-1212
- Serendipity in anticancer drug discovery.World J Clin Oncol. 2012; 3: 1-6
- Computer-aided drug discovery.in: Bassaganya-Riera J Accelerated Path to Cures. Springer International, New York2018: 7-24
- Empirical study using network of semantically related associations in bridging the knowledge gap.J Transl Med. 2014; 12: 324
Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials. PennState Eberly College of Science https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-73238-1_5.
- Development of synthetic patient population and in silico clinical trials.in: Bassaganya-Riera J Accelerated Path to Cures. Springer International, New York2018: 57-77https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-73238-1_5
- Optimizing drug development in oncology by clinical trial simulation: why and how?.Brief Bioinform. 2018; 19: 1203-1217https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbx055
- Modeling and simulation as a tool to bridge efficacy and safety data in special populations.CPT Pharmacometrics Syst Pharmacol. 2013; 27: e28
- Chapter 28 phase iii placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial with synthetic crohn's disease patients to evaluate treatment response.Emerg Trends Appl Infrastructures Comput Biol Bioinformatics Syst Biol. 2016; 27: 411-427
- Celgene cans phase 3 trial of $710M Crohn's drug GED-0301.Fierce Biotech. October 20, 2017; (Available at:) (Accessed February 5, 2019)
- In silico clinical trials for pediatric orphan diseases.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 2465
- Temporal and spatial monitoring and prediction of epidemic outbreaks.IEEE J Biomed Heal Informatics. 2015; 19: 735-744
- Ecological niche modeling for filoviruses: a risk map for ebola and marburg virus disease outbreaks in Uganda.PLoS Curr. 2017; 5https://doi.org/10.1371/currents.outbreaks.07992a87522e1f229c7cb023270a2af1
- Morbidity rate prediction of dengue hemorrhagic fever (dhf) using the support vector machine and the Aedes aegypti infection rate in similar climates and geographical areas.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0125049
- SecureMA: protecting participant privacy in genetic association meta-analysis.Bioinformatics. 2014; 30: 3334-3341
- Decoding the genomics of abdominal aortic article decoding the genomics of abdominal aortic aneurysm.Cell. 2018; 174 (e10): 1361-1372
- High-definition medicine.Cell. 2017; 170: 828-843
The White House. Obama administration unveils ‘big data’ initiative: announces $200 million in new R&D investments [press release]. March 29, 2012. Available at: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2015/11/19/release-obama-administration-unveils-big-data-initiative-announces-200. Accessed February 5, 2019.
Chen X, Member S, Lin X. Big data deep learning: challenges and perspectives. 2014;2. doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.201.2325029.
- What is data ethics?.Philos Trans A Math Physi Eng Sci. 2016; 374 (pii: 20160360)
- Machine learning and genomics: precision medicine versus patient privacy.Philos Trans Ser A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2018; 376 (pii: 20170350)
- Patient privacy in the era of big data.Balkan Med J. 2018; 35: 8-17
- Supporting regularized logistic regression privately and efficiently.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0156479
DNANEXUS. OPTIMIZE & DE-RISK YOUR CLINICAL TRIALS. (2018). https://www.dnanexus.com/clinicaltrials.
St Jude Children's Research Hospital. St. Jude Cloud. (2018). https://www.stjude.cloud.
eMERGE. Electronic Medical Records and Genomics network. (2018). https://emerge.mc.vanderbilt.edu.
UK Biobank. (2018). https://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk.
- Machine learning, natural language programming, and electronic health records: The next step in the artificial intelligence journey?.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018; 141: 2019-2021
- Secondary use of ehr: data quality issues and informatics opportunities.AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2010; 1: 1-5
- Multiple imputation for missing data in epidemiological and clinical research: potential and pitfalls.BMJ. 2009; 338: b2393https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2393
- Multiple imputation using chained equations: Issues and guidance for practice.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 377-399
- Latent-based imputation of laboratory measures from electronic health records: case for complex diseases.bioRxiv. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1101/275743
- Artificial intelligence in medical practice: the question to the answer?.Am J Med. 2018; 131: 129-133
- Closing the loop—Finding lung cancer patients using NLP.in: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data). IEEE, 2017: 2452-2461https://doi.org/10.1109/BigData.2017.8258203
- Machine learning for medical imaging.Radiographics. 2017; 37: 505-515
- Predicting the future—big data, machine learning, and clinical medicine.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1216-1219
Funding: This work was in part supported by Geisinger Research, and by funds from the National Institute of Health (NIH) grant No. R56HL116832 to Sutter Health and sub-awarded to VA (Sub-PI, Geisinger) as well as funds from the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) grant No. HDTRA1-18-1-0008 to Virginia Tech and sub-awarded to VA (Sub-PI, Geisinger, sub-award No. 450557-19D03). The funders had no role in study design, data collection and interpretation, or the decision to submit the work for publication.
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.