Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- How do individuals sleep around the world? Results from a single-day survey in ten countries.Sleep Med. 2005; 6: 5-13
- Sleep duration predicts cardiovascular outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 1484-1492
- Sleep duration as a risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 657-661
- Sleep duration and obesity among adults: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Sleep Med. 2014; 15: 1456-1462
- Sleep duration and risk of all-cause mortality: a flexible, non-linear, meta-regression of 40 prospective cohort studies.Sleep Med Rev. 2017; 32: 28-36
- Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Sleep. 2010; 33: 585-592
- Sleep duration and total cancer mortality: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Sleep Med. 2016; 27-28: 39-44
- Is there a continuing need for longitudinal epidemiologic research? The Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study.Ann Clin Res. 1988; 20: 46-50
- Dyslipidaemia as a predictor of hypertension in middle-aged men.Eur Heart J. 2008; 29: 2561-2568
- Left atrium size and the risk of cardiovascular death in middle-aged men.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1788-1793
- Cardiorespiratory fitness, lifestyle factors and cancer risk and mortality in Finnish men.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 355-363
- Serum beta-carotene concentrations and the risk of congestive heart failure in men: a population-based study.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 168: 1841-1846
- The predictive value of cardiorespiratory fitness for cardiovascular events in men with various risk profiles: a prospective population-based cohort study.Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 1428-1437
- Floating absolute risk: an alternative to relative risk in survival and case-control analysis avoiding an arbitrary reference group.Stat Med. 1991; 10: 1025-1035
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 12. 2011; (2011.)
- Association of usual sleep duration with hypertension: the Sleep Heart Health Study.Sleep. 2006; 29: 1009-1014
- Association of sleep time with diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 863-867
- Correlates of long sleep duration.Sleep. 2006; 29: 881-889
- Sleep complaints predict coronary artery disease mortality in males: a 12-year follow-up study of a middle-aged Swedish population.J Intern Med. 2002; 251: 207-216
- Sleep duration and cardiovascular disease: results from the National Health Interview Survey.Sleep. 2010; 33: 1037-1042
- Combined lifestyle factors and cardiovascular disease mortality in Chinese men and women: the Singapore Chinese health study.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2847-2854
- Associations of self-reported sleep duration and snoring with colorectal cancer risk in men and women.Sleep. 2013; 36: 681-688
- Sleep duration, insomnia, and markers of systemic inflammation: results from the Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA).J Psychiatr Res. 2015; 60: 95-102
- Who are the long sleepers? Towards an understanding of the mortality relationship.Sleep Med Rev. 2007; 11: 341-360
- Sleep duration and depression among adults: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Depress Anxiety. 2015; 32: 664-670
- Depression and cardiovascular disease: a clinical review.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 1365-1372
- Depression and cancer mortality: a meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2010; 40: 1797-1810
- Artificially accelerated aging by shortened photoperiod alters early gene expression (Fos) in the suprachiasmatic nucleus and sulfatoxymelatonin excretion in a small primate, Microcebus murinus.Neuroscience. 2001; 105: 403-412
Funding: This study was supported by the Academy of Finland, Helsinki, Finland; City of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland; Finnish Medical Foundation, Helsinki, Finland; and the Finnish Cultural Foundation, Helsinki, Finland.
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.