Hair loss is of deep concern to patients, mainly because of its effect on appearance. On rare occasions, however, areas of balding can signal malignancy. A 33-year-old woman was referred to our dermatology clinic because of a 15-year history of scalp eruption accompanied by intense itching and progressive hair loss. Previously, she was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis associated with female androgenic alopecia. She was treated with topical steroids for numerous years without improvement, except for transient relief of itching. Five years prior to her referral to our clinic, she underwent surgery for an in situ melanoma of the leg. Otherwise, her past medical history was unremarkable.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incidence of Langerhans cell histiocytosis in children: a population-based study.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008; 51: 76-81
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis: fascinating dynamics of the dendritic cell-macrophage lineage.Immunol Rev. 2010; 234: 213-232
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis in an adult female presenting with widespread confluent crusted papules and review of adult cases confined to skin.Int J Dermatol. 2017; 56: 1182-1185
- Individualized treatment approaches for Langerhans cell histiocytosis [e-pub ahead of print].Br J Dermatol. 2018; (accessed May 15)https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.16171
- Management of adult patients with Langerhans cell histiocytosis: recommendations from an expert panel on behalf of Euro-Histio-Net.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2013; 8: 72
- Adult onset folliculocentric Langerhans cell histiocytosis confined to the scalp.Am J Dermatopathol. 2004; 26: 123-126
- Persistence pays off: adult Langerhans cell histiocytosis.Am J Med. 2016; 129: e55-e59
- How I treat Langerhans cell histiocytosis.Blood. 2015; 126: 26-35
- Long-term follow-up of Langerhans cell histiocytosis: 39 years’ experience at a single centre.Acta Paediatr. 2005; 94: 1073-1084
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis first presenting in the skin in adults: frequent association with a second haematological malignancy.Br J Dermatol. 2012; 167: 1287-1294
Published online: May 02, 2018
Accepted: April 11, 2018
Received in revised form: April 11, 2018
Received: December 26, 2017Uma Paniker, MD, Section Editor
✯✯Conflicts of Interest: None.
✯Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.