Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- Anemia in the elderly: a public health crisis in hematology.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2005; : 528-532
- Anemia in older adults.Curr Opin Hematol. 2005; 12: 123-128
- Five-year survival of older people with anemia: variation with hemoglobin concentration.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1226-1228
- Anemia in old age is associated with increased mortality and hospitalization.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 61: 474-479
- The design and rationale for the Acute Medically Ill Venous Thromboembolism Prevention with Extended Duration Betrixaban (APEX) study.Am Heart J. 2014; 167: 335-341
- Predictive and associative models to identify hospitalized medical patients at risk for VTE.Chest. 2011; 140: 706-714
- Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in acutely ill hospitalized medical patients: findings from the International Medical Prevention Registry on Venous Thromboembolism.Chest. 2007; 132: 936-945
- The IMPROVEDD VTE risk score: incorporation of D-dimer into the IMPROVE score to improve venous thromboembolism risk stratification.TH Open. 2017; 1: e56-e65
- Locally weighted regression: an approach to regression analysis by local fitting.J Am Stat Assoc. 1988; 83: 596-610
- Evaluating the added predictive ability of a new marker: from area under the ROC curve to reclassification and beyond.Stat Med. 2008; 27 (discussion 207-212): 157-172
- New paradigms in venous thromboprophylaxis of medically ill patients.Thromb Haemost. 2017; 117: 1662-1670
- Association between anemia and cerebral venous thrombosis: case-control study.Stroke. 2015; 46: 2735-2740
- Anemia as a risk factor for cerebral venous thrombosis? An old hypothesis revisited. Results of a prospective study.J Neurol. 2007; 254: 729-734
- Effect of anemia on frequency of short- and long-term clinical events in acute coronary syndromes (from the Acute Catheterization and Urgent Intervention Triage Strategy Trial).Am J Cardiol. 2014; 114: 1823-1829
- Anemia predicts thromboembolic events, bleeding complications and mortality in patients with atrial fibrillation: insights from the RE-LY trial.J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 13: 699-707
- Association of hemoglobin levels with clinical outcomes in acute coronary syndromes.Circulation. 2005; 111: 2042-2049
- Relation of baseline hemoglobin levels and adverse events in patients with acute coronary syndromes (from the acute catheterization and urgent intervention triage strategy and harmonizing outcomes with revascularization and stents in acute myocardial infarction trials).Am J Cardiol. 2017; 119: 1710-1716
- Hyperhomocysteinemia, low folate and vitamin B12 concentrations, and methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase mutation in cerebral venous thrombosis.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1790-1794
- Association between venous thromboembolism and iron-deficiency anemia: a population-based study.Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2015; 26: 368-372
- Chronic inflammation (inflammaging) and its potential contribution to age-associated diseases.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: S4-S9
- Effect of iron therapy on platelet counts in patients with inflammatory bowel disease-associated anemia.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7 (e34520)
- Venous thromboembolism after surgery for inflammatory bowel disease: are there modifiable risk factors? Data from ACS NSQIP.Dis Colon Rectum. 2012; 55: 1138-1144
- Development and validation of a predictive model for chemotherapy-associated thrombosis.Blood. 2008; 111: 4902-4907
- Thrombocytosis and venous thromboembolism in cancer patients with chemotherapy induced anemia may be related to ESA induced iron restricted erythropoiesis and reversed by administration of IV iron.Am J Hematol. 2012; 87: 308-310
- Circulating activated endothelial cells in sickle cell anemia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1584-1590
- Ischemia-reperfusion injury in sickle cell anemia: relationship to acute chest syndrome, endothelial dysfunction, arterial vasculopathy, and inflammatory pain.Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2014; 28: 181-198
- Left ventricular hypertrophy and endothelial dysfunction in chronic hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 41: 616-623
- Thrombocytosis and thrombosis.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2007; : 363-370
Funding: Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Conflict of Interest: GC has received research grant support paid to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center from Portola, Bayer, and Janssen Research. CMG reports grant support from Portola Pharmaceuticals during the conduct of the study; and grant support from Johnson & Johnson and Bayer outside the submitted work. AFH reports receipt of grant support from Amgen, AstraZeneca, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, GlaxoSmithKline, Luitpold, Merck, and Novartis; and personal fees from Amgen, AstraZeneca, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boston Scientific, Luitpold, and Novartis outside the submitted work. RDH reports grant support from Portola Pharmaceuticals during the conduct of the study; and grant support and personal fees from Leo Pharma outside the submitted work. ATC reports grant support, personal fees, and nonfinancial support from Portola Pharmaceuticals during the conduct of the study; grant support, personal fees, and nonfinancial support from Daiichi-Sankyo, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, Janssen, and Bayer Pharmaceuticals, personal fees from Boehringer Ingelheim and Sanofi, and personal fees and nonfinancial support from Johnson & Johnson and Aspen Pharmaceuticals outside the submitted work. RAH reports grant support from Portola Pharma during the conduct of the study; grant support from CSL Behring, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Regado, and Sanofi Aventis, grant support and personal fees from Merck and The Medicines Company, personal fees from Amgen, Gilead Sciences, MyoKardia, and WebMD, and other support from Scanadu, SignalPath, Element Science, Vida Health, and Adverse Events outside the submitted work. SZG has provided consulting for Boehringer Ingelheim, Bayer, Portola, Daiichi-Sankyo, Janssen, BiO2 Medical, EKOS/ BTG, BMS, and Zafgen.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and had roles in writing the manuscript.