A 70-year-old Caucasian woman with a medical history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, and hypothyroidism presented with progressively worsening left ocular proptosis and eyelid swelling for 2 weeks and diplopia for 2 days. On physical examination she had left eye ptosis, proptosis, and limited upward, left, and right lateral extraocular movement (Figure, A). Hemoglobin was 9.3 g/dL, white blood cell count 16.1 K/µL, platelet count 78 K/µL, and lactate dehydrogenase 1681 U/L. Peripheral blood smear was reviewed (Figure, B). Computed tomographic angiography of the head showed a retro-orbital mass. A whole-body positron emission tomography scan showed soft tissue lesions in the left posterolateral chest wall, iliac fossa, and sacral and presacral regions, and a left extraconal mass, all with increased fluorodeoxyglucose uptake (Figure, C). Bone marrow and chest wall mass were biopsied (Figure, D).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Granulocytic sarcoma: a clinicopathologic study of 61 biopsied cases.Cancer. 1981; 48: 1426-1437
- Isolated granulocytic sarcoma: report of a case and review of the literature.J Clin Oncol. 1986; 4: 912-917
- Acute myeloid leukemia with t(8;21)(q22;q22) manifesting as granulocytic sarcomas in the rhinopharynx and external acoustic meatus at relapse after high-dose cytarabine: case report and review of the literature.Hematol J. 2004; 5: 84-89
- How I treat extramedullary acute myeloid leukemia.Blood. 2011; 118: 3785-3793
Published online: April 13, 2018
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: Conception and design: FEC, MRB, and JYL. Provision of study materials: FEC, YZ, PM, and ZNS. Collection and assembly of data: FEC. Data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript, accountability for all aspects of the work: all authors.
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.