The patient had 2 bouts of endocarditis in a short period, each instigated by a different organism, but the second had a most unusual herald. A 38-year-old man with fever and abdominal pain was brought to the Emergency Department from a subacute rehabilitation facility. Three months earlier, he had been admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with Granulicatella species bacteremia secondary to injection drug use and complicated by aortic valve endocarditis, splenic infarct, and a splenic artery aneurysm. He underwent splenectomy and aortic valve replacement with a bioprosthetic valve and was discharged with a peripherally inserted central catheter line to complete 6 weeks of treatment with intravenous penicillin G and gentamicin.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fungal endocarditis: current challenges.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2014; 44: 290-294
- Characteristics of infective endocarditis in a developing country—clinical profile and outcome in 192 Indian patients, 1992-2001.Int J Cardiol. 2005; 98: 253-260
- Echocardiography predicts embolic events in infective endocarditis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 37: 1069-1076
- Mesenteric ischemia.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 959-968
- Acute mesenteric ischemia.Surg Clin North Am. 1997; 77: 307-318
- Infective endocarditis associated superior mesenteric artery pseudoaneurysm.Ann Vasc Surg. 2014; 28 (e1-5): 1563
- Ruptured and unruptured mycotic superior mesenteric artery aneurysms.Ann Vasc Surg. 2014; 28 (e5-8): 1931
- Acute aortic occlusion from a Candida fungus ball.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 54: 1475-1477
- Pulmonary embolism caused by Candida albicans.J R Soc Med. 2004; 97: 392-393
- Septic coronary artery embolism treated with aspiration thrombectomy: case report and review of literature.Tex Heart Inst J. 2014; 41: 437-439
- Therapeutic management of superior mesenteric artery aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 53: 1619-1624
Published online: April 09, 2018Thomas J. Marrie, MD, Section Editor
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the publication.
Published by Elsevier Inc.