Among the patient's problems was a thrombus in a highly unusual and precarious position. A 50-year-old white woman presented to the emergency department after experiencing progressive shortness of breath over 1 week. Her medical history was significant for migraines, hypothyroidism, and hypertension. Three years earlier, she had an episode of deep vein thrombosis after ankle surgery and required anticoagulation therapy for 9 months. She denied recent long-distance plane or car travel, prolonged periods of immobility, or recent accidents or surgeries.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Straddling interatrial embolus: a rare clinical dilemma.BMJ Case Rep. 2016; 2016https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2016-215136
- Life-threatening pulmonary embolism associated with a thrombus straddling a patent foramen ovale: report of a case.J Card Surg. 2008; 23: 376-378
- Treatment of right heart thromboemboli.Chest. 2002; 121: 806-814
- Comparative efficacy of different modalities for treatment of right heart thrombi in transit: a pooled analysis.Vasc Med. 2015; 20: 131-138
- Thrombus entrapped in patent foramen ovale: a rare form of thrombus in transit.J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2015; 5: 28170
- Surgical or medical treatment for thrombus straddling the patent foramen ovale: impending paradoxical embolism? Report of four clinical cases and literature review.Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 101: 637-644
- Impending paradoxical embolism from atrial thrombus: correct diagnosis by transesophageal echocardiography and prevention by surgery.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1985; 5: 1002-1004
- Patent foramen ovale and migraine: a quantitative systematic review.Cephalalgia. 2008; 28: 531-540
- Incidence and size of patent foramen ovale during the first 10 decades of life: an autopsy study of 965 normal hearts.Mayo Clin Proc. 1984; 59: 17-20
- A thrombus in transit through a patent foramen ovale.JAAPA. 2014; 27: 32-35
- Thrombus crossing through a patent foramen ovale.Int J Cardiol. 2009; 133: e55-e56
- Platypnea-orthodeoxia syndrome related to right hemidiaphragmatic elevation and a “stretched” patent foramen ovale.BMJ Case Rep. 2012; 2012https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2012-007735
- Thrombus in transit through patent foramen ovale.Case Rep Cardiol. 2013; 2013 (395879)https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/395879
- Impending paradoxical embolism: systematic review of prognostic factors and treatment.Chest. 2010; 137: 164-170
Published online: April 06, 2018Robert G. Stern, MD, Images in Radiology Editor
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing the manuscript.
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.