Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; (e-pub ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.11.006
- The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2560-2572
- Potential U.S. population impact of the 2017 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association High Blood Pressure Guideline.Circulation. 2018; 137: 109-118
- A randomized trial of intensive versus standard blood-pressure control.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2103-2116
- Cardiovascular event rates and mortality according to achieved systolic and diastolic blood pressure in patients with stable coronary artery disease: an international cohort study.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2142-2152
- Examining the applicability of SPRINT in patients with subclinical or established atherothrombotic disease: a REACH registry analysis.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 243: 95-97
- Implications of blood pressure measurement technique for implementation of Systolic blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT).J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6 (e004536)
Funding: SPRINT was supported by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. This exploratory analysis was unfunded.
Conflicts of Interest: MV and AQ are supported by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute T32 postdoctoral training grant (T32HL007604). MP discloses the following relationships—Advisory Board: AstraZeneca; Speaker Honorarium: AstraZeneca. MHO discloses that he has received a part-time clinical research grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation. DLB discloses the following relationships—Advisory Board: Cardax, Elsevier Practice Update Cardiology, Medscape Cardiology, Regado Biosciences; Board of Directors: Boston VA Research Institute, Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care; Chair: American Heart Association Quality Oversight Committee; Data Monitoring Committees: Cleveland Clinic, Duke Clinical Research Institute, Harvard Clinical Research Institute, Mayo Clinic, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Population Health Research Institute; Honoraria: American College of Cardiology (Senior Associate Editor, Clinical Trials and News, ACC.org), Belvoir Publications (Editor in Chief, Harvard Heart Letter), Duke Clinical Research Institute (clinical trial steering committees), Harvard Clinical Research Institute (clinical trial steering committee), HMP Communications (Editor in Chief, Journal of Invasive Cardiology), Journal of the American College of Cardiology (Guest Editor; Associate Editor), Population Health Research Institute (clinical trial steering committee), Slack Publications (Chief Medical Editor, Cardiology Today's Intervention), Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (Secretary/Treasurer), WebMD (CME steering committees); Other: Clinical Cardiology (Deputy Editor), NCDR-ACTION Registry Steering Committee (Chair), VA CART Research and Publications Committee (Chair); Research Funding: Abbott, Amarin, Amgen, AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Chiesi, Eisai, Ethicon, Forest Laboratories, Ironwood, Ischemix, Lilly, Medtronic, Pfizer, Roche, Sanofi Aventis, The Medicines Company; Royalties: Elsevier (Editor, Cardiovascular Intervention: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease); Site Co-Investigator: Biotronik, Boston Scientific, St. Jude Medical (now Abbott); Trustee: American College of Cardiology; Unfunded Research: FlowCo, Merck, PLx Pharma, Takeda. The other author reports no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.
Trial Registration: SPRINT (Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial); ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01206062, https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01206062.