Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Conditions with the Largest Number of Adult Hospital Readmissions by Payer, 2011.(HCUP Statistical Brief #172) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2014 (Available at:)https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb172-Conditions-Readmissions-Payer.jspDate accessed: December 26, 2017
- Transitional care of older adults.Annu Rev Nurs Res. 2002; 20: 127-147
- Patient characteristics at hospital discharge and a comparison of home care referral decisions.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 336-342
- Preventability and causes of readmissions in a national cohort of general medicine patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 484-493
- Relationship between early physician follow-up and 30-day readmission among Medicare beneficiaries hospitalized for heart failure.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1716-1722
- Policy options to improve discharge planning and reduce rehospitalization.JAMA. 2011; 305: 302-303
- Continuity of care and the risk of preventable hospitalization in older adults.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1879
- Continuity of outpatient and inpatient care by primary care physicians for hospitalized older adults.JAMA. 2009; 301: 1671-1680
- Home health agency benefits.Health Care Financ Rev Annu Suppl. 1992; : 125-148
- The Future of Home Health Care: Workshop Summary.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2015
- Characteristics and use of home health care by men and women aged 65 and over.Natl Health Stat Report. 2012; 52: 1-7
- Contemporary trends and predictors of postacute service use and routine discharge home after stroke.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4
- The use of Medicare home health care services.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 324-329
- Characteristics associated with home health care referrals at hospital discharge: results from the 2012 National Inpatient Sample.Health Serv Res. 2016; 52: 879-894
- A multidisciplinary intervention to prevent the readmission of elderly patients with congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1190-1195
- Effects of a home-based intervention among patients with congestive heart failure discharged from acute hospital care.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1067-1072
- Prolonged beneficial effects of a home-based intervention on unplanned readmissions and mortality among patients with congestive heart failure.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 257-261
- Effects of a multidisciplinary, home-based intervention on unplanned readmissions and survival among patients with chronic congestive heart failure: a randomised controlled study.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1077-1083
- Effects of education and support on self-care and resource utilization in patients with heart failure.Eur Heart J. 1999; 20: 673-682
- Transitional care of older adults hospitalized with heart failure: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 675-684
- People with heart failure and home health care resource use and outcomes.J Clin Nurs. 2008; 17: 253-259
- Reducing readmissions among heart failure patients discharged to home health care: effectiveness of early and intensive nursing services and early physician follow-up.Health Serv Res. 2017; 52: 1445-1472
- Admission avoidance hospital at home.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; (CD007491)
- Extreme home makeover—the role of intensive home health care.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1707-1709
- What is value in health care?.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2477-2481
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- Hospital cost of care, quality of care, and readmission rates: penny wise and pound foolish?.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 340-346
- Provider Specific Data for Public Use in Text Format.U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MD2015
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017
- Multiple Imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys. Vol. 81. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ2004
- Fully conditional specification in multivariate imputation.J Stat Comput Simul. 2006; 76: 1049-1064
- Multivariate imputation by chained equations.J Stat Softw. 2011; 45: 1-67
- MatchIt: nonparametric preprocessing for parametric causal inference.J Stat Softw. 2011; 42: 1-28
- Constructing a control group using multivariate matched sampling methods that incorporate the propensity score.Am Stat. 1985; 39: 33-38
- The challenge of rising health care costs—a view from the Congressional Budget Office.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1793-1795
- Preventable Hospitalizations: A Window Into Primary and Preventive Care, 2000.(AHRQ Publication No. 04-005) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2004
- Comprehensive discharge planning and home follow-up of hospitalized elders: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 1999; 281: 613-620
- Determinants of survival and hospitalization in older, heart failure patients receiving home healthcare.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 207: 145-149
- Readmission rates after abdominal surgery: the role of surgeon, primary caregiver, home health, and subacute rehab.Ann Surg. 2011; 254: 591-597
- Association of discharge home with home health care and 30-day readmission after pancreatectomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219 (e1): 875-886
Funding: No funding was received to support the work of this study.
Conflicts of Interest: All authors report no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.
Imstitutional Review Board approval (IRB #16-271) was obtained prior to initiation of the study.