Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal infections: manifestations, incidence and case fatality rate correlated for age, gender and risk factors.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 367
- Prognostic factors associated with mortality and major in-hospital complications in patients with bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e5179
- Influence of age and symptoms at presentation in patients with community-acquired pneumonia.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 1453-1459
- (Available at)http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/info/hp/cdc/if-hp-cdc-pneu-13-conjate-vac-bio-pg-07-291.pdf(Accessed April 26, 2017)
- (Available at)http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/healthinfo/hi-flu-clinical-guidelines-pneumococcal-polysaccharide.pdf(Accessed April 26, 2017)
- Case definitions for diseases under national surveillance.Health Canada. 2000; 26: 51
- Factors predicting mortality in invasive pneumococcal disease in Alberta.Medicine (Baltimore). 2011; 90: 171-179
- Streptococcus and related catalase-negative gram-positive cocci.in: Balows A. Hausler Jr, W.J. Herrmann K.L. Isenberg H.D. Shadomy H.J. Manual of Clinical Microbiology. 5th ed. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC1991: 238-257
- Laboratory diagnosis, serology and epidemiology of Streptococcus pneumoniae.in: Methods in Microbiology. Vol. 12. Academic Press, New York1978: 241-262
- A Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 5 disease epidemic in western Canada: 2005-2009.Emerg Infect Dis. 2012; 18: 733-740
- Epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia in Edmonton, Alberta. An emergency room based study.Can Respir J. 2005; 13: 139-142
- Persistent sex disparities in invasive pneumococcal disease in the conjugate vaccine era.J Infect Dis. 2016; 214: 792-796
- Bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia in the elderly.Am J Med Sci. 1984; 288: 114-118
- A preventable outbreak of pneumococcal pneumonia among unvaccinated nursing home residents in New Jersey during 2001.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003; 24: 848-852
- Invasive pneumococcal infections among persons with and without underlying medical conditions: implications for prevention.BMC Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 96
- Prevalence, correlates, and outcomes of concurrent infection with hepatitis c and invasive pneumococcal disease.Emerg Infect Dis. 2017; (In Press)
- Factors associated with length of stay in hospital for suspected community acquired pneumonia.Can Respir J. 2006; 13: 317-324
- Sepsis associated encephalopathy and not just delirium.Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2011; 66: 1825-1831
- Impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on pneumococcal meningitis cases in France between 2001 and 2014: a time series analysis.BMC Med. 2016; 14: 211
- Effect of 13 valent conjugate vaccine in children on invasive pneumococcal disease in children and adults in the USA: analysis of multisite, population based surveillance.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 301-309
- Treatment trends and outcomes in US hospital stays of children with empyema.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014; 33: 431-436
- Pediatric pleural empyema in the province of Quebec: analysis of a 10-fold increase between 1990 and 2007.J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2014; 3: 119-126
- U.S. hospitalizations for pneumonia after a decade of pneumococcal vaccination.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 155-163
- Clinical and epidemiological evidence of the Red Queen hypothesis in pneumococcal serotype dynamics.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: 619-626
- Pneumococcal vaccination.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2016; 29: 187-196
- Invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae in Canada, 2011-2014: characterization of new candidate 15-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine serotypes 22F and 33F.Vaccine. 2016; 34: 2527-2530
Funding: This study was supported by a grant-in-aid from Pfizer, Canada and Merck Canada Inc . The funders had no role in the design of the study or data analysis and they have not seen the manuscript. SRM holds the Endowed Chair in Patient Health Management supported by the Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry and Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Alberta. DTE is a Canada Research Chair supported by the Government of Canada.
Conflict of Interest: Other than the above 2 research grants—none.
Authorship: TJM and GJT designed the study, organized the data collection, and had full access to all of the data in the study. DTE conducted all analyses and had full access to the data. All authors contributed to the interpretation of data, wrote the manuscript, revised the manuscript for intellectual content, and approved the manuscript to be published.