- Exam administration history.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- ABIM certification guide.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- Predictive validity of certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 110: 719-726
- Specialty board certification and clinical outcomes: the missing link.Acad Med. 2002; 77: 534-542
- ACGME program requirements for graduate medical education in internal medicine.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- Residency program pass rates.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- First-time taker pass rates initial certification.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- Census regions and divisions of the United States.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- FREIDA online.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
Public reporting page for the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). 2015. Available at: https://apps.acgme.org/ads/public/. Accessed December 29, 2015.
- ACP internal medicine in-training examination.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP).American College of Physicians, Philadelphia2012
- United States medical licensing examination.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
- Pass rates on the American Board of Family Medicine certification exam by residency location and size.J Am Board Fam Med. 2013; 26: 453-459
- Does the number of trainees in a postgraduate training program influence the pass rates on certifying examinations?.Clin Invest Med. 1995; 18: 73-79
- Relationship between internal medicine program board examination pass rates, accreditation standards, and program size.Int J Med Educ. 2014; 5: 11-14
- Relationship of residency program characteristics with pass rate of the American Board of Internal Medicine certifying exam.Med Educ Online. 2015; 20: 28631
- Effect of the 2011 vs 2003 duty hour regulation-compliant models on sleep duration, trainee education, and continuity of patient care among internal medicine house staff: a randomized trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 649-655
- Internal medicine and general surgery residents' attitudes about the ACGME duty hours regulations: a multicenter study.Acad Med. 2006; 81: 1052-1058
- Anticipated consequences of the 2011 duty hours standards: views of internal medicine and surgery program directors.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 895-903
- Assessing the effects of the 2003 resident duty hour reform on Internal Medicine board scores.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 1-8
- Challenges with continuity clinic and core faculty accreditation requirements.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 550-556
- Educating Physicians: A Call for Reform of Medical School and Residency. vol. 16. John Wiley & Sons, Philadelphia2010
- Curricular content of internal medicine residency programs: a nationwide report.Am J Med. 2014; 127: 1247-1254
- The Match, 2015 Main Residency Match Advance Data Tables.2015 (Available at:)Accessed December 29, 2015)
Funding: This work was supported by a grant from the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine, on behalf of the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine Survey and Scholarship Committee. This work was also supported in part by the Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Office of Educational Innovations as part of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Educational Innovations Project.
Conflict of Interest: FSM is a full-time employee of the American Board of Internal Medicine as the Senior Vice President for Academic and Medical Affairs. VMA is a member of the Board of Directors for the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and receives grant funding from the ABIM Foundation. Her faculty appointment and employment is at the University of Chicago. There are otherwise no conflicts of interest to report for all authors.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.