- Does stereotype threat affect women in academic medicine?.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 506-512
- Assessing gender equity in a large academic department of pediatrics.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 98-104
- Geographic mobility advances careers: study of the Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) program for women.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 1700-1706
- Experiencing the culture of academic medicine: gender matters, a national survey.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 201-207
- Career advancement for women faculty in a US school of medicine: perceived needs.Acad Med. 2004; 79: 319-325
- Promotion and tenure of women and minorities on medical school faculties.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 114: 63-68
- Women in academic medicine.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2000; 55 (19): 10-12
- Promotion of women physicians in academic medicine. Glass ceiling or sticky floor?.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1022-1025
- Results of a gender-climate and work-environment survey at a midwestern academic health center.Acad Med. 2000; 75: 653-660
- Obstacles to promotion? Values of women faculty about career success and recognition.Acad Med. 2000; 75: 283-288
Women in U.S. Academic Medicine and Science: Statistics and Benchmarking Report 2011-2012. Washington DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/download/311380/data/2012_figure6.pdf. Accessed April 11, 2014.
- The activities and responsibilities of the vice chair for education in U.S. and Canadian departments of medicine.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 1041-1045
APDIM Program Directors Survey – Summary Files. Available at: http://dev.im.org/toolbox/surveys/APDIMSurveyData/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed May 17, 2014.
- The Next GME accreditation system–rationale and benefits.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1051-1056
Council on Graduate Medical Education. Twenty-first report, improving value in graduate medical education. August 2013, http://www.hrsa.gov/advisorycommittees/bhwadvisory/cogme/Reports/twentyfirstreport.pdf, Accessed March 25, 2015.
AAMC Applicants and Matriculants Data. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/. Accessed May 17, 2014.
ACGME Common Program Requirements. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/CPRs2013.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2014.
- Job turnover and its correlates among residency program directors in internal medicine: a three-year cohort study.Acad Med. 2001; 76: 1127-1135
- Burnout and distress among internal medicine program directors: results of a national survey.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 1056-1063
- Are we doing it for the money? A Salary survey of United States surgical program directors.J Surg Educ. 2008; 65: 401-405
- Gender differences in the salaries of physician researchers.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2410-2417
- Trends in the earnings of male and female health care professionals in the united states, 1987-2010.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1748-1750
- Persistent earnings inequities for female physicians: still the same old story.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1750-1751
- Compensation in academic medicine: progress toward gender equity.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1398-1402
- Women in US academic medicine earn less than male peers.BMJ. 2010; 340: c1969
- Gender differences in academic advancement: patterns, causes, and potential solutions in one US College of Medicine.Acad Med. 2003; 78: 500-508
- Compensation and advancement of women in academic medicine: is there equity?.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 205-212
- 2001-2002 SAEM emergency medicine faculty salary and benefits salary.Acad Emerg Med. 2002; 9: 1435-1444
- Salary equity among male and female internists in Pennsylvania.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 133: 104-110
- Differences in income between male and female primary care physicians.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2002; 57: 180-184
US Census Bureau. Available at: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2012.
American Medical Association (AMA) Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database Access System (FREIDA) Online. Available at: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/graduate-medical-education/freida-online.shtml. Accessed December 1, 2012.
American Board of Internal Medicine. Available at: http://www.abim.org/pdf/pass-rates/residency-program-pass-rates.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2012.
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Career obstacles for women in medicine: an overview.Med Educ. 2001; 35: 139-147
- Do women residents delay childbearing due to perceived career threats?.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 640-646
- Gender and future salary: disparate trends in internal medicine residents.Am J Med. 2010; 123: 470-475
- Facets of career satisfaction for women physicians in the United States: a systematic review.Women Health. 2012; 52: 403-421
- A culture conducive to women's academic success: development of a measure.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 1622-1631
- Women physicians: choosing a career in academic medicine.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 105-114
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead.Alfred A. Knopf, New York, NY2013
- Changing the culture of academic medicine to eliminate the gender leadership gap: 50/50 by 2020.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 1411-1413
- Sponsorship: a path to the academic medicine C-suite for women faculty.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 1414-1417
- What predicts residency accreditation cycle length? Results of a national survey.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 356-361
Funding: This study was supported in part by the Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Office of Educational Innovations as part of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Educational Innovations Project.
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.