Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Lifetime risk for development of atrial fibrillation: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2004; 110: 1042-1046
- Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) Study.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2370-2375
- Stroke with intermittent atrial fibrillation: incidence and predictors during aspirin therapy. Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation Investigators.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000; 35: 183-187
- Incidence of stroke in paroxysmal versus sustained atrial fibrillation in patients taking oral anticoagulation or combined antiplatelet therapy: an ACTIVE W Substudy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 2156-2161
- Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2864-2870
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137: 263-272
- Oral anticoagulants vs aspirin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: an individual patient meta-analysis.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2441-2448
- Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 146: 857-867
- Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1139-1151
- Rivaroxaban versus warfarin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 883-891
- ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society.Circulation. 2006; 114: e257-e354
- 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS Guideline for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.Circulation. 2014; 130: 2071-2104
- Practice-level variation in warfarin use among outpatients with atrial fibrillation (from the NCDR PINNACLE program).Am J Cardiol. 2011; 108: 1136-1140
- Warfarin use among ambulatory patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: the anticoagulation and risk factors in atrial fibrillation (ATRIA) study.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 131: 927-934
- Patterns and predictors of warfarin use in patients with new-onset atrial fibrillation from the FRACTAL Registry.Am J Cardiol. 2006; 97: 538-543
- Initiation and persistence of warfarin or aspirin in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation in general practice: do the appropriate patients receive stroke prophylaxis?.J Thromb Haemost. 2008; 6: 1500-1506
- Cardiac performance measure compliance in outpatients: the American College of Cardiology and National Cardiovascular Data Registry's PINNACLE (Practice Innovation And Clinical Excellence) program.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 8-14
- The Improving Continuous Cardiac Care (IC(3)) program and outpatient quality improvement.Am J Med. 2010; 123: 217-219
- Regression Modeling Strategies: With Applications to Linear Models, Logistic Regression, and Survival Analysis.Springer, New York2001
- IVEware: Imputation and Variance Estimation Software.Survey Methodology Program, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI2002
- Model-based estimation of relative risks and other epidemiologic measures in studies of common outcomes and in case-control studies.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 160: 301-305
- A modified poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- Subclinical atrial fibrillation and the risk of stroke.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 120-129
- Hospitalized patients with atrial fibrillation and a high risk of stroke are not being provided with adequate anticoagulation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46: 1729-1736
- Antithrombotic treatment in real-life atrial fibrillation patients: a report from the Euro Heart Survey on Atrial Fibrillation.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 3018-3026
- Newly detected atrial fibrillation and compliance with antithrombotic guidelines.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 246-252
- Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the Atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel Trial with Irbesartan for prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1903-1912
- The value of the CHA2DS2-VASc score for refining stroke risk stratification in patients with atrial fibrillation with a CHADS2 score 0-1: a nationwide cohort study.Thromb Haemost. 2012; 107: 1172-1179
Funding: This research was supported by the American College of Cardiology Foundation's National Cardiovascular Data Registry (NCDR). The views expressed in this manuscript represent those of the authors, and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NCDR or its associated professional societies identified at www.ncdr.com. PINNACLE Registry is an initiative of the American College of Cardiology Foundation. Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer Inc. are Founding Sponsors of the PINNACLE Registry.
Conflicts of Interest: PSC reports support by a Career Development Grant Award (K23HL102224) from the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. TMM reports support by a Health Services Research and Development career development award from the US Department of Veterans Affairs. GMM reports research support from Medtronic, Baylis Medical, Gilead, and SentreHeart Inc.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data, and all either wrote portions of the manuscript or edited it.