Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Legionellosis.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 682-687
- Legionnaires' disease.Chest. 1994; 105: 1817-1825
- Legionnaires' disease.Clin Infect Dis. 1993; 16: 741-747
- Legionella pneumophila. A cause of severe community-acquired pneumonia.Chest. 1991; 100: 1007-1011
- Onset and duration of urinary antigen excretion in Legionnaires disease.J Clin Microbiol. 1984; 20: 605-607
- Diagnosis of Legionella infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 36: 64-69
- Detection of Legionella pneumophila antigen in urine samples by the BinaxNOW immunochromatographic assay and comparison with both Binax Legionella Urinary Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA) and Biotest Legionella Urin Antigen EIA.J Med Microbiol. 2001; 50: 509-516
- Pan-European study on culture-proven Legionnaires' disease: distribution of Legionella pneumophila serogroups and monoclonal subgroups.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2002; 21: 710-716
- Comparison of the Binax Legionella urinary antigen enzyme immunoassay (EIA) with the Biotest Legionella Urin antigen EIA for detection of Legionella antigen in both concentrated and nonconcentrated urine samples.J Clin Microbiol. 1998; 36: 2718-2722
- Community-acquired Legionella pneumonia: new insights from the German competence network for community acquired pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 1356-1364
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: S27-S72
- Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 1138-1180
- New and emerging etiologies for community-acquired pneumonia with implications for therapy. A prospective multicenter study of 359 cases.Medicine (Baltimore). 1990; 69: 307-316
- Clinical diagnosis of Legionella pneumonia revisited: evaluation of the Community-Based Pneumonia Incidence Study Group scoring system.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 37: 483-489
- Can Legionnaires disease be diagnosed by clinical criteria?.Chest. 2001; 120: 1049
- Clinical features of legionnaires' disease.Semin Respir Infect. 1998; 13: 116-127
- Evaluation of the Winthrop-University Hospital criteria to identify Legionella pneumonia.Chest. 2001; 120: 1064-1071
- Clinical predictors for Legionella in patients presenting with community-acquired pneumonia to the emergency department.BMC Pulm Med. 2009; 9: 4
- Fostering international multicenter collaborative research: the CAPO Project.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2007; 11: 1062-1065
Louisville Uo. CAPO Database. Available at: http://www.caposite.com. Accessed October 31, 2012.
- Validation, updating and impact of clinical prediction rules: a review.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 1085-1094
- Delay in appropriate therapy of Legionella pneumonia associated with increased mortality.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1996; 15: 286-290
- Azithromycin and the risk of cardiovascular death.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1881-1890
- Antibiotic-induced cardiac arrhythmias.Cardiovascular Ther. 2014; 32: 19-25
- Macrolide immunomodulation of chronic respiratory diseases.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2007; 9: 7-13
- Macrolides and community-acquired pneumonia: is quorum sensing the key?.Crit Care. 2010; 14: 181
- Azithromycin to prevent Pseudomonas aeruginosa ventilator-associated pneumonia by inhibition of quorum sensing: a randomized controlled trial.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 1118-1125
- Macrolides for the therapy of nosocomial infections.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2012; 25: 205-210
- Combination antibiotic therapy with macrolides improves survival in intubated patients with community-acquired pneumonia.Intensive Care Med. 2010; 36: 612-620
- Effect of clarithromycin in patients with sepsis and ventilator-associated pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 1157-1164
- Could it be Legionella?.Aust Fam Physician. 2008; 37: 812-815
SH, FH, and LG are equally contributing first authors.
Funding: PS was supported by a research grant from the Swiss Foundation for Grants in Biology and Medicine (Schweizerische Stiftung für medizinisch-biologische Stipendien, SSMBS, PASMP3-127684/1). Part of the data came from an initial trial supported by Grant SNF 3200BO-116177/1 from the Swiss National Science Foundation. No commercial sponsor had any involvement in the design and conduct of this study; the collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; or the preparation, decision to submit, review, or approval of the manuscript.
Conflict of Interest: BM and PS received support from B.R.A.H.M.S. (Thermo Fisher Scientific) to attend meetings and fulfill speaking engagements. BM has served as a consultant for BRAHMS/Therofisher and Biomerieux and received research support. All other authors declare that they have no competing interests.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.