Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Report of the American Foundation for Urologic Disease (AFUD) Thought Leader Panel for evaluation and treatment of priapism.Int J Impot Res. 2001; 13: S39-S43
- American Urological Association guideline on the management of priapism.J Urol. 2003; 170: 1318-1324
- Low-flow priapism: risk factors for erectile dysfunction.BJU Int. 2002; 89: 285-290
- Priapism associated with the sickle cell hemoglobinopathies: prevalence, natural history and sequelae.J Urol. 1991; 145: 65-68
- Priapism and impotence in homozygous sickle cell disease.Arch Intern Med. 1980; 140: 1434-1437
- Priapism in sickle-cell disease; incidence, risk factors and complications - an international multicentre study.BJU Int. 2002; 90: 898-902
- New insights into the pathophysiology of sickle cell disease-associated priapism.J Sex Med. 2012; 9: 79-87
- Molecular science of priapism.Curr Sex Health Rep. 2007; 4: 9-14
- Phosphodiesterase-5A dysregulation in penile erectile tissue is a mechanism of priapism.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 1661-1666
- Priapism: new concepts in the pathophysiology and new treatment strategies.Curr Urol Rep. 2006; 7: 497-502
- Feasibility of the use of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors in a pharmacologic prevention program for recurrent priapism.J Sex Med. 2006; 3: 1077-1084
- Long-term oral phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor therapy alleviates recurrent priapism.Urology. 2006; 67: 1043-1048
- Product Information: Viagra®, Sildenafil Citrate. Pfizer Laboratories, New York, NY2010
- Comparative effectiveness and safety of oral phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors for erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Eur Urol. 2013; 63: 902-912
- Priapism: new concepts in medical and surgical management.Urol Clin North Am. 2011; 38: 185-194
- Sexual health outcomes improvement in sickle cell disease: a matter of health policy?.J Sex Med. 2012; 9: 104-113
- Sickle cell disease status and outcomes of African-American men presenting with priapism.J Sex Med. 2008; 5: 1244-1250
- A prospective diary study of stuttering priapism in adolescents and young men with sickle cell anemia: report of an international randomized control trial–the priapism in sickle cell study.J Androl. 2011; 32: 375-382
- Sildenafil citrate-restored eNOS and PDE5 regulation in sickle cell mouse penis prevents priapism via control of oxidative/nitrosative stress.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e68028
- Erection capability is potentiated by long-term sildenafil treatment: role of blood flow-induced endothelial nitric-oxide synthase phosphorylation.Mol Pharmacol. 2005; 68: 226-232
- Sustained nitric oxide (NO)-releasing compound reverses dysregulated NO signal transduction in priapism.FASEB J. 2014; 28: 76-84
- Targeting NADPH oxidase decreases oxidative stress in the transgenic sickle cell mouse penis.J Sex Med. 2012; 9: 1980-1987
- Sildenafil promotes eNOS activation and inhibits NADPH oxidase in the transgenic sickle cell mouse penis.J Sex Med. 2014; 11: 424-430
- Experimental priapism is associated with increased oxidative stress and activation of protein degradation pathways in corporal tissue.Int J Impot Res. 2010; 22: 363-373
- Molecular analysis of erection regulatory factors in sickle cell disease associated priapism in the human penis.J Urol. 2013; 189: 762-768
- The physical, social and psychological impact of priapism on adult males with sickle cell disorder.Chronic Illn. 2007; 3: 145-154
- Systematic review of the Hawthorne effect: new concepts are needed to study research participation effects.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 267-277
Funding: This study was funded by National Institutes of Health, United States, Grant “Basic and Translational Research Programs in Sickle Cell Disease at JHU/UAB” ( 1U54HL090515 ).
Conflict of Interest: JFC has received an honorarium and travel expenses in the past; presently receives salary support through Johns Hopkins for providing consultative advice to Mast Pharmaceuticals (previously Adventrx Pharmaceuticals) regarding a proposed clinical trial of an agent for treating vaso-occlusive crisis in sickle cell disease; and is an inventor and a named party on a patent and licensing agreement to ImmunArray for a panel of brain biomarkers for the detection of brain injury.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.