Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Unexpected deaths and referrals to intensive care of patients on general wards. Are some cases potentially avoidable?.J R Coll Physicians Lond. 1999; 33: 255-259
- Defining the incidence of cardiorespiratory instability in patients in step-down units using an electronic integrated monitoring system.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1300-1308
- “Identifying the hospitalised patient in crisis” – a consensus conference on the afferent limb of rapid response systems.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 375-382
- Contactless respiratory and heart rate monitoring: validation of an innovative tool.J Med Eng Technol. 2010; 35: 393-398
- How is my patient doing? Evaluating hospitalized patients using continuous vital signs monitoring.Isr Med Assoc J. 2009; 11: 382-384
- Early recognition of acutely deteriorating patients in non-intensive care units: assessment of an innovative monitoring technology.J Hosp Med. 2012; 7: 628-633
- APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system.Crit Care Med. 1985; 13: 818-829
- Multicentric study of monitoring alarms in the adult intensive care unit (ICU): a descriptive analysis.Intensive Care Med. 1999; 25: 1360-1366
- Crying wolf: false alarms in a pediatric intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 1994; 22: 981-985
- Improving alarm performance in the medical intensive care unit using delays and clinical context.Anesth Analg. 2009; 108: 1546-1552
- Intensive care unit alarms – how many do we need?.Crit Care Med. 2010; 38: 451-456
- Postanesthesia monitoring revisited: incidence of true and false alarms from different monitoring devices.J Clin Anesth. 1994; 67: 182-188
- Electrocardiographic monitoring in the hospitalized patient: a diagnostic intervention of uncertain clinical impact.Am J Emerg Med. 2008; 26: 1047-1055
- Continuous electrocardiographic monitoring and cardiac arrest outcomes in 8,932 telemetry ward patients.Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7: 647-652
- Pulse oximetry for perioperative monitoring.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; (3):CD002013. Review. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(4):CD002013
- Impact of pulse oximetry surveillance on rescue events and intensive care unit transfers: a before-and-after concurrence study.Anesthesiology. 2010; 112: 282-287
- The benefits and pitfalls of pulse oximetry.BMJ. 1993; 307: 457-458
- Patterns of unexpected in-hospital deaths: a root cause analysis.Patient Saf Surg. 2011; 5: 3
- Capnography enhances surveillance of respiratory events during procedural sedation: a meta-analysis.J Clin Anesth. 2011; 23: 189-196
Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation. Conclusions and recommendations from June 08, 2011 Conference on electronic monitoring strategies. Available at: http://www.apsf.org/initiatives.php?id=10. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Recognising clinical instability in hospital patients before cardiac arrest or unplanned admission to intensive care. A pilot study in a tertiary-care hospital.Med J Aust. 1999; 171: 22-25
- Clinical antecedents to in-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest.Chest. 1990; 98: 1388-1392
- Developing strategies to prevent in hospital cardiac arrest: analyzing responses of physicians and nurses in the hours before the event.Crit Care Med. 1994; 22: 244-247
- Duration of life-threatening antecedents prior to intensive care admission.Intensive Care Med. 2002; 28: 1629-1634
- Physiologic values and procedures in the 24 h before ICU admission from the ward.Anaesthesia. 1999; 54: 529-534
- Signs of critical conditions and emergency responses (SOCCER): a model for predicting adverse events in the inpatient setting.Resuscitation. 2006; 69: 175-183
- A comparison of antecedents to cardiac arrests, deaths and emergency intensive care admissions in Australia and New Zealand, and the United Kingdom – the ACADEMIA study.Resuscitation. 2004; 62: 275-282
- Inpatient transfers to the intensive care unit: delays are associated with increased mortality and morbidity.J Gen Intern Med. 2003; 18: 77-83
- Respiratory rate: the neglected vital sign.Med J Aust. 2008; 188: 657-659
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation of adults in the hospital: a report of 14720 cardiac arrests from the National Registry of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.Resuscitation. 2003; 58: 297-308
- Association between clinically abnormal observations and subsequent in-hospital mortality: a prospective study.Resuscitation. 2004; 62: 137-141
Funding: The study was funded by an industry grant provided by EarlySense Inc .
Conflict of Interest: HB has received consulting fees from EarlySense LTD; JT and PV have no conflicts to report; DWB has received consulting fees and Honoraria from EarlySense LTD and has received a research grant supported by EarlySense LTD; EZ has received a research grant supported by EarlySense LTD.
Authorship: HB has contributed to conception and design, to acquisition of data, and to the analysis and interpretation of data. HB has drafted the article and gave final approval of the version to be published. JT has contributed to conception and design, to acquisition of data, has critically revised the manuscript for important intellectual content, and gave final approval of the version to be published. PV has contributed to acquisition of data, has critically revised the manuscript for important intellectual content, and gave final approval of the version to be published. DWB has contributed to conception and design, to the analysis and interpretation of data, has critically revised the manuscript for important intellectual content, and gave final approval of the version to be published. EZ has contributed to conception and design, to the analysis and interpretation of data, has drafted the article, and gave final approval of the version to be published.