Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in antihypertensive medication use and blood pressure control among United States adults with hypertension: the national health and nutrition examination survey, 2001 to 2010.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2105-2114
- Pharmacology of carvedilol.Am J Cardiol. 2004; 93: 3B-6B
- Effect of carvedilol and metoprolol on blood pressure, blood flow, and vascular resistance.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1987; 10: S124-S129
- Comparison of the hemodynamic effects of metoprolol and carvedilol in hypertensive patients.Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 1996; 10: 113-117
- Differing beta-blocking effects of carvedilol and metoprolol.Eur J Heart Fail. 2001; 3: 343-349
- Randomized, double-blind comparison of acute beta1-blockade with 50 mg metoprolol tartrate vs 25 mg carvedilol in normal subjects.Congest Heart Fail. 2006; 12: 254-257
- Metabolic effects of carvedilol vs metoprolol in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2227-2236
- Comparison of carvedilol and metoprolol on clinical outcomes in patients with chronic heart failure in the Carvedilol Or Metoprolol European Trial (COMET): randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2003; 362: 7-13
AstraZeneca. Toprol XL package insert. Available at: http://www1.astrazeneca-us.com/pi/toprol-xl.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2012.
- The effect of carvedilol on morbidity and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure. U.S. Carvedilol Heart Failure Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1349-1355
Indiana University Division of Clinical Pharmacology. P450 Interaction Table. Available at: http://medicine.iupui.edu/clinpharm/ddis/table.aspx. Accessed November 1, 2012.
- Reducing bias in a propensity score matched-pair sample using greedy matching techniques.in: Proceedings of the Twenty-sixth Annual SAS Users Group International Conferences. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC2001: 214-226
- Comparative effectiveness of 2 beta-blockers in hypertensive patients.Arch Intern Med. 2012; : 1-7
- Amiodarone and the risk of bradyarrhythmia requiring permanent pacemaker in elderly patients with atrial fibrillation and prior myocardial infarction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 41: 249-254
- Safety and feasibility of a clinical pathway for the outpatient initiation of antiarrhythmic medications in patients with atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter.Am J Cardiol. 2003; 91: 1437-1441
- Sinus tachyarrhythmias and the specific bradycardic agents: a marriage made in heaven?.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2003; 8: 89-105
- Vital signs: prevalence, treatment, and control of hypertension–United States, 1999-2002 and 2005-2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 103-108
Costco Wholesale Corporation. Drug Pricing Information. Available at: http://www2.costco.com/Pharmacy/DrugInformation.aspx?p=1. Accessed November 1, 2012.
- Tolerability of carvedilol in patients with heart failure and concomitant chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2002; 21: 1290-1295
- Carvedilol therapy after cocaine-induced myocardial infarction in patients with asthma.Am J Med Sci. 2011; 342: 56-61
- Paroxetine affects metoprolol pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in healthy volunteers.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 67: 283-291
Funding: This work was supported by National Institutes of Health/Neurobehavioral Core for Rehabilitation Research , University of California, San Francisco–Clinical and Translational Science Institute Grant Number UL1 RR024131 .
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: Both authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.